Results 1,621 to 1,630 of 4040

Thread: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaBelle View Post
    Any advice on buns other people can do on you easily? I have a bad gash on my palm which means i can’t do any buns myself for a few days so trying to figure out what my boyfriend can help me with...
    I'd go with a cinnamon. Hope you palm heals fast!

Quote Originally Posted by solitudinarian View Post
    Didnt know where to post so I figured I would come here.
    type: fine
    texture: wavy/curly
    history: recently those non-permanent colours I guess.
    style: long, natural
    product: shampoo/conditioner and prob some leave in.

I hope someone please for the love of God can help my roommate. They're in tears, having a full on depression/anxiety/meltdown mode in their room, threatening to shave off their hair.

They used the Colourless hair color remover (Kinda like the Oops/B4 brand, idk I have no idea about haircolouring) - the type of stuff that smells like rotten eggs and all that.

The smell just wont leave their scalp and hair. It's only been a week and we saw people online say they battled that stink for like 3-4 weeks sometimes. It's worse when it's wet. when the hair is dry, it's hardly noticeable.

They went to a hair salon yesterday to try and have it nuked out from their hair. The salon tried to battle it away with some colouring (non permanent I'm guessing. They knew what the deal was.) and when it was wet in the salon, it didnt smell. Then 24 hours later, it started smelling again. My roomate is at her wits end. I don't know what to do to help. I've tried calming her, trying to get them to go week by week. Since it's already fading. I've seen some say drenching hair in coconut oil helps, some say tomato juice or baking soda and lemon. I really need a sure fire way to help her. At first we figured, if it's in the roots, clarifying shampoos should lift it out and to skip conditioner, to let it air our completely with nothing "masking" the hair or roots.

I'm guessing the tomato/vinegar/baking soda-lemon is based on the same? But why do others say to soak in coconut oil or use perfumed hair masks etc. Is it to make it "slip" off the hair and out of the roots? Can someone please give me a run down on why this smell is happening and how to actually get it out? I'm so desperate, I don't want to see them suffer like this. They already deal with mental health problems and this just really sent them spiraling.

I want to get some stuff to help her, either like coconut oil or baking soda - anything. But I need it to work 100%.
    Vodka?....
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    HL/TBL/IDK
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I don't know why but all buns pull lately. Also my go-to buns pull. Someone has an idea about the cause? I have a scalp sensitive to pulling, but there are some buns placed in a certain place which were ok... Well, no more!

Length
    27.5"/41"/41"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Chan View Post
    I don't know why but all buns pull lately. Also my go-to buns pull. Someone has an idea about the cause? I have a scalp sensitive to pulling, but there are some buns placed in a certain place which were ok... Well, no more!
    My scalp has been similarly picky lately. Not sure what it is and just avoiding buns really. I’ve even gone on YouTube and looked for new bun styles but nothing has grabbed me. Have been wearing braids and the one bun placement that doesn’t pull (topknot.)

Quote Originally Posted by solitudinarian View Post
    Didnt know where to post so I figured I would come here.
    type: fine
    texture: wavy/curly
    history: recently those non-permanent colours I guess.
    style: long, natural
    product: shampoo/conditioner and prob some leave in.

I hope someone please for the love of God can help my roommate. They're in tears, having a full on depression/anxiety/meltdown mode in their room, threatening to shave off their hair.

They used the Colourless hair color remover (Kinda like the Oops/B4 brand, idk I have no idea about haircolouring) - the type of stuff that smells like rotten eggs and all that.

The smell just wont leave their scalp and hair. It's only been a week and we saw people online say they battled that stink for like 3-4 weeks sometimes. It's worse when it's wet. when the hair is dry, it's hardly noticeable.

They went to a hair salon yesterday to try and have it nuked out from their hair. The salon tried to battle it away with some colouring (non permanent I'm guessing. They knew what the deal was.) and when it was wet in the salon, it didnt smell. Then 24 hours later, it started smelling again. My roomate is at her wits end. I don't know what to do to help. I've tried calming her, trying to get them to go week by week. Since it's already fading. I've seen some say drenching hair in coconut oil helps, some say tomato juice or baking soda and lemon. I really need a sure fire way to help her. At first we figured, if it's in the roots, clarifying shampoos should lift it out and to skip conditioner, to let it air our completely with nothing "masking" the hair or roots.

I'm guessing the tomato/vinegar/baking soda-lemon is based on the same? But why do others say to soak in coconut oil or use perfumed hair masks etc. Is it to make it "slip" off the hair and out of the roots? Can someone please give me a run down on why this smell is happening and how to actually get it out? I'm so desperate, I don't want to see them suffer like this. They already deal with mental health problems and this just really sent them spiraling.

I want to get some stuff to help her, either like coconut oil or baking soda - anything. But I need it to work 100%.
    I think there's some psychological factor in there too as you said it didn't smell when she was at the hair salon and I never heard about that smelling that bad, I actually used that once and I don't remember any foul smell coming out of it, could it be that she used a bad batch? . It makes me think about those who use vinegar on their hair and a couple of days later they still can smell it when no one else can.

Tomato juice is a really common home remedy to help remove odours, but it works mostly by masking them. I have no idea about the use of coconut oil, but it could be due to the fact that most offensive smells tend to stick to your natural sebum, so here the coconut oil would help to remove that in a gentler way and at the same time give some nice coconut smell to the hair.

Something I've used before that's really helpful with bad odours is using dish soap, wet your hair wash it with dish soap and leave it for 10min, rinse it and wash it again with more dish soap, don't use anything else and let it air dry. It's going to be a pain in the butt to detangle and it's kind of really damaging to the hair but seeing how desperate she is, she probably doesn't care at this point.

If I were her I would do a pre-poo, drenching my hair in coconut oil, leaving it for a couple of hours and then using dish soap as I said above. If it helps to remove the odour she should wait a couple of days before washing he hair again and then use her shampoo and conditioner normally.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddhaBelle View Post
    Any advice on buns other people can do on you easily? I have a bad gash on my palm which means i can’t do any buns myself for a few days so trying to figure out what my boyfriend can help me with...
    I think most people find it easier to learn how to braid rather than doing buns, so I would try that first. If he's willing to learn I think the simplest ones to teach others are the LWB and the nautilus because they mostly only require to wrap the hair around itself without being too complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Chan View Post
    Could it be built-up? I have a really sensitive scalp and I think my pain threshold is kind of low too, and I've realised that when my scalp is pickier than usual it tends to be because it needs some good cleansing, like a chelating shampoo or using a scalp scrub.
    Last edited by CuteCrow; April 22nd, 2021 at 09:12 PM. Reason: I posted before finishing writing

Curly:
    Buzz~NL~SL~APL~BSL~WL
    Buzz | NL | SL | APL | BSL | WL | HL| TBL | Classic

What counts as a clarifying shampoo? Something with sulfates or something specifically made to be stronger?

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by erebus View Post
    What counts as a clarifying shampoo? Something with sulfates or something specifically made to be stronger?
    I guess technically a clarifying shampoo wouldn't leave anything behind, but in my opinion, many sulfate shampoos can act as one. It depends on the ingredients. Some sulfate shampoos are also full of conditioning ingredients, making them feel less stripping as they deposit back some of the things they take away, which certainly makes them less clarifying at the same time.

ETA: Basically, I view it as a continuum rather than an on/off matter.
    Last edited by Ylva; April 23rd, 2021 at 06:48 AM.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    I guess technically a clarifying shampoo wouldn't leave anything behind, but in my opinion, many sulfate shampoos can act as one. It depends on the ingredients. Some sulfate shampoos are also full of conditioning ingredients, making them feel less stripping as they deposit back some of the things they take away, which certainly makes them less clarifying at the same time.

ETA: Basically, I view it as a continuum rather than an on/off matter.
    I agree with that. Especially if there's ingredients in there such as EDTA. It is chelating, which helps the sulfates along, IMO. Pantene Aqua Light as well as their volumizing shampoo (last time I looked) had this. Other than that, Pantene or Herbal Essences are about the harshest sulfate concoction on the market. So I'd go with something of that kind. Also look for the shampoos that are either volumizing or are made for an oily / oilier scalp. More stripping, hence better for clarifying purposes!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    CBL/HL/HL
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by erebus View Post
    Disodium EDTA is a good indicator, especially for chelating shampoos as well.
    Collarbone (12.08.21) | Armpit (16.10.21) | Midback (14.10.22) | Waist (06.02.23) | Hip (23.03.24) | Belly Button

Length
    CBL/HL/HL
    Type
    2b/M/iii

How does everyone here make their buns so sleek? Mine have a million hairs sticking out every time. Is it oiling prior or? Pls tell me the secret lol
    Collarbone (12.08.21) | Armpit (16.10.21) | Midback (14.10.22) | Waist (06.02.23) | Hip (23.03.24) | Belly Button