Quote Originally Posted by Miss Thyme View Post
About two weeks ago I noticed that the ends of my hair were super dry. The final 10-15 cm of my hair was coarse, rough, and gave an almost velcro-like kind of resistance to being separated. I say was, but the sad truth is that they are still like this
The thing is, I haven't made any recent changes in my hair routine, so I don't know why this happened so suddenly. Any advice?

About my routine:
I wash every 3 to 4 days. Shampoo, then conditioner.
Shampoo: Head and Shoulders anti-dandruff shampoo (I've been using this for years)
Conditioner: Garnier Fructis Goodbye Damage conditioner (been using this since October)
Air drying, and if I do use the hairdryer it's on low heat, low intensity and only the scalp.
I oil daily and post-shower with coconut and jojoba (since January)

My own thoughts are:
  1. Protein overload? There is protein in my conditioner, and I've had no issue in the time I've used it, but could my hair have finally had enough and overloaded?
  2. Product buildup? My conditioner also has some cones, like amodimethicone, but I figured the sulfates in my shampoo should prevent buildup? (I squeeze it in just a little bit down the ends just to be safe regarding buildup)
  3. Changes in the weather. It's getting warmer, and it's raining less. I'm also experiencing increased severity in dandruff in roughly the same timeframe, to such extreme that even my forehead and eyebrows create dandruff I've never had this issue before, and can't point to any other explanation than the weather.
Hi there and welcome to the forum
A couple of thoughts have occurred but please forgive me if it’s stuff you already know.

You mentioned that you are oiling daily post shower with coconut & jojoba. Some people’s hair just hates coconut oil and others love it.

Oiling daily would be way too much for my hair. Maybe you need to clarify (use a cleansing and silicone free shampoo all the way to the tips and let it sit a min), moisturise (you sound happy with your conditioner) and then go easy on the oil, or even leave it out for a while.

There are fabulous infos here on pre wash oiling and also rinse out oiling (ROO). One of these might suit you better if you want to still use it.

Don’t forget that stress can play a big part in skin health and that might be contributing along with the weather changes.

How do you usually wear your hair day to day? I have fine hair too and when I first joined, I had dry ends but since I learnt how to wear my hair up comfortably in a bun my ends are tucked away and they are much much better.

Another thought is to consider what you’ve added or changed since your ends were fine. If you need to, go back to your old routine that worked, then make small changes from there so you always know what’s working and what isn’t.

Lastly congrats on getting to tailbone length while being new to “proper haircare” (I had a peek at your profile). That’s quite impressive, to me!

Best of luck