View Poll Results: Maintaining Thickness - Do as you go, or wait until you reach your goal?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • I maintained my thickness while I was growing my hair by trimming.

46 46.46%
  • I waited until my hair was as long as I wanted it and thickened it by maintaining length.

37 37.37%
  • CHEESE!

16 16.16%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maintaining Thickness - While you grow or after?

Length
    Pixie/CL/TBL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Maintaining Thickness - While you grow or after?

I was thinking about something while I was S&Ding this morning and I wanted to get your opinions. Do you think it's a better tactic to wait until your hair is the length that you ultimately want it before trying to thicken the hemline, or do you think it's a better idea to try to maintain uniform thickness while you are growing? Why?

EL - 08/2022
    PT Circumference 07.2017: 2.5" 01.2018: 2.75" 06.2018: 3.00"

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Maintaining Thickness - While you grow or after?

I never had to thicken up a thing.

So: cheese for me!

It just grew to the length I wanted and then I am now maintaining. When I was FTL though I felt it was thinning out at the bottom and well, I never got further because I cut back. But I would go length first then if I were serious enough to grow more.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/HL+/KL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I prefer mantaining the hemline as I grow because I prefer a blunt hem for my hair, so I would not enjoy an uneven one during my journey, and because I’m pretty sure I’d be devastated if once I get to my dream length I had to chop one foot of hair. Even reaching it with fairytail ends would make me feel I hadn’t reached it at all (I’m talking specifically about my hair, I find fairytail ends lovely on others )

Length
    Pixie/CL/TBL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by TreesOfEternity View Post
    I prefer mantaining the hemline as I grow because I prefer a blunt hem for my hair, so I would not enjoy an uneven one during my journey, and because I’m pretty sure I’d be devastated if once I get to my dream length I had to chop one foot of hair. Even reaching it with fairytail ends would make me feel I hadn’t reached it at all (I’m talking specifically about my hair, I find fairytail ends lovely on others )
    I think I'm more with you than otherwise. It seems like it's a trade-off for growing speed. Almost every day I braid my hair before putting it away or going to sleep and I hate any taper to my braid thickness, so I definitely have lost a lot of progress trying to keep it all the same relative thickness as it gets longer. I think though it will be worth it in the long run. My goal was to have the longest hair I've ever had with the caveat that it needs to be in good shape, if it's not in good shape, I'm not really meeting my goal.

EL - 08/2022
    PT Circumference 07.2017: 2.5" 01.2018: 2.75" 06.2018: 3.00"

Length
    bsl/waist/ftl
    Type
    2b/F/ii

My hair is not really thick on it's own (about 2.75 inches last time I measured), and I've often dyed it or damaged it in a way that I've felt the thickness reduced, but it grows so slowly, I wouldn't really be able to wait until it thickens. if I'm growing it's because I want it long, so I'd try to cut less than what it grows... Plus, I've found that when I start taking care of my hair it feels and looks much better and thickness stops being my main concern. I really hated my hair when I cut it short last time. Less than two weeks after I was already crying about the lost length, I guess I'm really not fit for short hair.
    Don't you know this tale
    In which all I ever wanted
    I'll never have?

Length
    18 in/24 in/24 in
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I wish I had held out for thickness when I was growing my hair. I'd suffered a huge loss and I decided to grow instead of maintaining or cutting back until it started growing back in...the result was fine sparse hair that probably looked awful but hey, I had hair.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by saff.cel View Post
    I was thinking about something while I was S&Ding this morning and I wanted to get your opinions. Do you think it's a better tactic to wait until your hair is the length that you ultimately want it before trying to thicken the hemline, or do you think it's a better idea to try to maintain uniform thickness while you are growing? Why?
    I think this also depends on how long your goal is.

If you want anywhere below knee, I imagine most people will just have naturally thinner ends at that point and no amount of trimming will thicken it up.

If your goal is... I would imagine waist or higher, it would be dependent on how patient you are with your hair. That is, are you in a hurry to get there? Trim once you get there. You can handle the wait? You could probably trim on your way there.

Anywhere between waist and knee could go either way. They might get thinner the longer you go and there may be nothing you can do about it--and they might not.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Account Closed by Member Request

I have not trimmed in 3 years and will not, anymore, until I reach floor, then, I will even and thicken up everything. So, I voted for the 2nd option.

Length
    BSL/Thigh/Thigh
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/iii

I think it's better to maintain the thickness as you grow your hair... Otherwise you may get to your desired length but you'll have to cut the ends due to damage (and it'll take longer to get to your goal length + thick hemline)

Personally I just S&D once in a while and I'm fine. I trim my ends every 6 months or so and I have managed to keep my hemline more or less thick
    * BSL* MBL* WL* HL* TLB* Classic* Thigh*!!

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I'm voting the second option, though I haven't finished thickening things up yet but I'm hoping that's what will happen. I'm also not technically maintaining the length; I cut back almost one milestone once I hit goal length and am regrowing with a thicker hemline than I had when I hit it, and my plan at the moment is to repeat that indefinitely with the intention to thicken up the hemline (and possibly creep a little longer, we'll see!).

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    I think this also depends on how long your goal is.

If you want anywhere below knee, I imagine most people will just have naturally thinner ends at that point and no amount of trimming will thicken it up.

If your goal is... I would imagine waist or higher, it would be dependent on how patient you are with your hair. That is, are you in a hurry to get there? Trim once you get there. You can handle the wait? You could probably trim on your way there.

Anywhere between waist and knee could go either way. They might get thinner the longer you go and there may be nothing you can do about it--and they might not.
    This is very, very true. Even Ligeia with one of the thickest ponytail circumferences here has taper, it's just inevitable past a certain point (though that point is different for everyone).

Quote Originally Posted by Natalia_A00 View Post
    I think it's better to maintain the thickness as you grow your hair... Otherwise you may get to your desired length but you'll have to cut the ends due to damage (and it'll take longer to get to your goal length + thick hemline)

Personally I just S&D once in a while and I'm fine. I trim my ends every 6 months or so and I have managed to keep my hemline more or less thick
    My ends are thin, but they are not damaged. Well, they might be thin partly due to pre-LHC damage to other hairs, I'm not sure, but the hairs that are there are perfectly healthy, there just aren't a lot of them
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness