Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Curly Girl Method (CGM) Thread

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Curly Girl Method (CGM) Thread

Quote Originally Posted by zuzannaa.aaa View Post
    I've been working with the 1 minute moisture with coconut extract treatment from Garnier Fructis and I really like it so far, but it gives me a little too much "softness" if you know what I mean. I haven't been able to find the hair food anywhere near me and I'm in the Chicago area
    Hairfood is how it is called in the EU/Belgium, it is the same as "treats" in the US. That was what I was trying to explain, but perhaps did badly?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

...My vanity’s a mess... desisparkles's Avatar
    Length
    20/45 CL/Thigh
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

so I pulled a photo of my hair before with silicones and a pic of about 2 years without silicones.

honestly, I don't really see "that" much of a difference and I'm kinda shocked by that.

Super fine and delicate
    Dye & heat free circa 2017
    Senna has turned my silvers to gold - give me all the metals

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I do modified curly girl sometimes. Moooostly I just don't even style my hair and let it air dry however it likes. Usually straightish wavyish.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Yeah, I don't think it really matters whether or not you use silicones, especially if they are the water-soluble kind. I sometimes use straight-up dimethicone in my conditioners, and... no difference either; oh yes, the tangles are different. Except with the Garnier Fructis Treats/Hairfood mask, that's no silicones and *performs*!

...My vanity’s a mess... desisparkles's Avatar
    Length
    20/45 CL/Thigh
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Yeah, I don't think it really matters whether or not you use silicones, especially if they are the water-soluble kind. I sometimes use straight-up dimethicone in my conditioners, and... no difference either; oh yes, the tangles are different. Except with the Garnier Fructis Treats/Hairfood mask, that's no silicones and *performs*!
    You find less tangling with silicones? My curiosity has def been peaked!
    Super fine and delicate
    Dye & heat free circa 2017
    Senna has turned my silvers to gold - give me all the metals

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by desisparkles View Post
    You find less tangling with silicones? My curiosity has def been peaked!
    Oh yes! More slip, less tangling. I especially like the Hello Hydration conditioner by Herbal Essences (great detangler) and the L'Oréal Elvive (Elsève in my country) extraordinary oil. Amazing conditioners! But if you want to go silicone-free, the Garnier Fructis Hairfood/Treats masks are a great product and work just as well. I like them all equally!

I've been considering CGM lately, at least a modified version. Do any of you put aloe vera gel in your hair, and what effect does it have? Does it have any sort of hold?

Length
    43/46/55
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

I gave up on CGM a long time ago. I mostly wear my hair up so it didn't make sense to try to define my curls when it's going to be twisted up in a bun. I still CO-wash and use cone free (or mostly cone free) shampoos every now and then.

Length
    APL/TBL/Long
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
    I've been considering CGM lately, at least a modified version. Do any of you put aloe vera gel in your hair, and what effect does it have? Does it have any sort of hold?
    I tried that but it didn't give me much hold at all! You could still try it..some people love it My hair needs strong hold, so I use LA looks gel!
    currently approaching tbl

Length
    ear/tbl/cl
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii

I think I tried it once years ago and it didn't work for me? But I honestly barely remember now. A friend of mine who has beautiful 3B curls suggested to me a few months ago that maybe it would be good for my hair. I figure it's worth trying again, anyways.

I guess I just kind of assumed that—for those of us with long hair that we wear in buns most days—it makes sense to skip "product" (you know, the curl defining, gel, whatever) and not to scrunch your hair (wouldn't the weight of your wet hair just undo that?). But is that actually true? Broadly speaking, what ways can the "main" curly girl method (the one you find on all the blogs if you google it) be altered to better suit long hair you usually wear up?