Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: too much shedding from Castor Oil - I am doing something wrong?

Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Unhappy too much shedding from Castor Oil - I am doing something wrong?

Ive been told to get back into oiling my hair. Ive been speaking with a Nutritionist as shes been giving some great advise on healthy eating and its worked really.

She mentioned about applying Castor oil and Coconut mix. When I tried just coconut oil, shedding is normal like, 20-30.
    However mixing in:
    2x tablespoons of castor oil
    1x tablespoon of coconut oil
    Made my hair really shed a ton of hair. I left my overnight loose to let it soak in but, its horrific how much shedding was in the bathtub. I do massage it in but I dont know if theres a right or wrong of doing it?

I dont know if I am doing something wrong, if I should just stay away from castor oil altogther? As I always hear postives from using it

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Default Re: too much shedding from Castor Oil - I am doing something wrong?

Castor oil is VERY THICK. It makes my hair fall out, too, unless it's diluted a whole bunch. I don't know the ratios.

However, don't panic! Most likely, the hairs that fell out were ready to go, anyway, being at the end of their telogen phase. Meaning, they've awakened from hibernation & re-entered anagen phase. So expect to see new little baby hairs sprouting from those same follicles. It's part of the process of how castor oil works. 30 hairs = not bad at all!

Oops. You said 20-30 hairs is normal for you. Using 2 Tblsp. castor oil made a lot more fall out, you said. Well, still don't worry; but I think I use like 1/4 tsp. castor oil or maybe just 1/8, mixed into about a cup of other oils & other ingredients. (I don't usually measure, so my numbers aren't precise.)

But still, don't worry. What you've done is very healthy, just a little too much healthy all at once. But really, it's not a problem.
    Last edited by Kalamazoo; August 4th, 2019 at 03:31 PM.

Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Cool, thanks for the super fast response
    And thanks for the really helpful info too

Account Closed by Member Request

Two table spoons of castor oil is way too much. It is a very dense and heavy oil. Use it sparingly. I usually add just a teaspoon to my masks or massage it with two tablespoons of jojoba on my scalp and it's been fine. I think, the amount you're using is the reason. However, some people's scalps cannot tolerate oils and it causes shedding. Beware.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I was going to say that for some people, just the extra manipulation causes extra shedding (it does for me, even if I just use dry fingertips) but then I reread your post and you said with coconut oil it was normal. The only thing I can think of is the mix was too thick and pulled out hairs that were almost ready to shed (i.e. had stopped growing but not quite reached the point of falling)? Not sure. I agree that your best bet is to try a more diluted mix to see if that helps
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Yeah castor oil is like maple syrup I don't bother with it unless it's diluted in a mask or other oil. When I used it by itself, I touched it on my fingertips and then massaged my scalp. So that's a very small amount.

Also, I'm not sure how often you do this and wash it out but if you leave it on for a few days that could cause issues too. Washing out the next morning or after a few hours is ideal.

Length
    buzz/tbl/cl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

It’s my understanding that castor oil encourages body tissues to contract, hence why it’s so effective as a packing oil, particularly over the liver.

Perhaps it could be that this same contracting effect could pop out any hairs that were sitting there finished but not yet shed?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Some people just shed more when oil is applied to the scalp, but you didn't seem to have it with the coconut oil on its own, so that theory's apparently out.

I would dilute it heavily. Castor oil is very viscous, thick, goopy, at least 50/50 is still a lot if you don't need it for balding patches or so.

Maybe try a tablespoon in a 50 or 100ml bottle.

And why does it "have" to be castor oil, anyway?

Any natural oil will do just fine. Why not just use the coconut oil?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

That girl with the hair The-Young-Maid's Avatar
    Length
    ./FTL+/KNEE
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Why is a nutritionist telling you what to put on your scalp/hair???

If you keep shedding so much even after diluting the castor oil I would stop using it immediately. Go back to coconut oil since you seemed fine with it.

I'm one of those people who can't oil my scalp at all. It thinned my hair bad. Anything that's good for you shouldn't make you shed.

Do you even need to oil your scalp? Why not just oil the lengths? Try just massaging your scalp dry, that will stimulate blood flow without any shedding from oils.
    No Trim 2019/20/21 . Use It Up 2019/20/21 . Daily wash w/Sulfates and Cones. Coconut oil . CL 2019-FTL 2020-KNEE 2021

Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Oh wow, thanks for all the responses

I guess the first reason is, why did my nutritionist ask to do this? I think its something that they asked me to do. I tell them about the shedding before I even posted this here and they said to ease up on the sollution but information on applying castor oil is all over the place. And what I should have done before this all kicked off was to post on here first but it sounded like a simple a thing to do. And I was like: "How hard can it be?" well, we all know the answer to that now?

I apply the mix around at night time about 10pm and leave it on until the next morning to wash it off around 11am in the morning. So a good 12+ hour of absorption.

I guess the reason why I choose castor oil was the huge benifet people were seeing from applying castor oil. But like most people have menention on here, it could be due to the scalp massage then anything.

My reason to go on castor oil was, to get more new hair growths. As my front bangs are starting to show signs of thinning. But my new diet has helped sort out the crown area a bit which I am really glad its worked in some way

I am a still a newbie on the dilution part. If put two tablespoons of coconut oil, do put just a teaspoon in now? Or should just apply coconut oil on my scalp and then put small amounts of castor oil on my finger tips?