Thread: Is braiding good?

Default Is braiding good?

Is braiding hair good for hair growth? I saw it on YouTube and I've seen Indian women usually have very long healthy hair. That's because I guess they braid their hair after oiling. Is there any truth in this method?

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: Is braiding good?

Oiling and braiding the hair can certainly help protect the hair, but in my experience protective buns are even better.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

I apply serums to my ends and do twin English sleep braids every night; it is very gentle and protective for my fine, wispy, silver.

Because of the wispiness of my hair, I can't manage intricate braids, and with my age, I don't like wearing loose braids out of the house

You will find pros and cons....ymmv ...but if I could do more I would

@sarahlabyrinth I would put it up in a bun except that right now it's only to my chin length from the front and neck length from the back. Right now it's an inverted Bob. @Groovy Granny yes that's what I did tonight put it in two teeny tiny braids somehow. Hoping this will help me in my journey.

Length
    SL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Braids and buns are a good way to protect your hair from daily wear and tear. Whenever I braid I always make sure my hair isn't pulling too tightly from the scalp - it gives me follicle pains and I don't want to put too much pressure on my scalp. Overall, I think it's a great way to keep hair out of harms way.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by zahraomer05 View Post
    @sarahlabyrinth I would put it up in a bun except that right now it's only to my chin length from the front and neck length from the back. Right now it's an inverted Bob. @Groovy Granny yes that's what I did tonight put it in two teeny tiny braids somehow. Hoping this will help me in my journey.
    If it is that short, leave it out. Don't start manipulating your hair when it's too short for braids and/or buns. A half-up might well work, but the entire head? I wouldn't.

I didn't start wearing my hair up until I was between shoulder & APL (peacock twist with a claw).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Like others have said, braiding is better than loose, and bun is better than braiding. A braid protects mostly from tangly but not the friction from rubbing on objects, while a bun protects from both.

Length
    BSL/Hip/?
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by milosmomma View Post
    Like others have said, braiding is better than loose, and bun is better than braiding. A braid protects mostly from tangly but not the friction from rubbing on objects, while a bun protects from both.
    I go for a twisted or braided bun for myself because my hair can tangle up on itself if left in loose bun all the time. It's a YMMV thing.
    Kay , BSL > MBL > Waist > Hip