Thread: Chemo hair

Default Chemo hair

My son was diagnosed with AML when he was four. He went through chemo and is now 9. He used to have supe thick curly hair like everyone else in the family. We used to call him a hobbit 😆
    Anyways after chemo, his hair came back very sparse and thin and even after Rogaine treatments, I can still see scalp through his hair. I am trying to find natural treatments to try and make his hair grow back in fuller. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Chemo hair

Quote Originally Posted by Unjugetito View Post
    My son was diagnosed with AML when he was four. He went through chemo and is now 9. He used to have supe thick curly hair like everyone else in the family. We used to call him a hobbit ��
    Anyways after chemo, his hair came back very sparse and thin and even after Rogaine treatments, I can still see scalp through his hair. I am trying to find natural treatments to try and make his hair grow back in fuller. I would appreciate any help. Thanks
    What did his dermatologist say?

I fear that if he's tried Rogaine without much luck, that there's not going to be many other "options".

You could try castor oil applied to the scalp, but it is a viscous, goopy, mess, and you might want to dilute it 50/50 (at least) with another natural oil such as coconut or grapeseed, or jojoba oil.

That might help some.

Other than that I don't know of many alternatives to that.

In any case, I am so glad your son is a survivor!
    Best of luck to you both!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

The land of vodka, bears and perpetual winter
    Length
    APL/Class/TERM
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I agree with Lapushka. If minoxidil didn't help, then there's not much hope. Certainly not with natural remedies. Most of the time if not always synthetic is stronger and more effective than natural. Maybe you could look into laser hair combs (hairmax is the only FDA approved comb if I'm remembering correctly), but talk to a doctor first, having a history of oncological condition could be a contraindication to laser treatment.

In any case, hair is just hair, being healthy is far more important than having thick mane
    APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ CL ~ TERM
    Growing out henna since November 1st, 2018

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome! I have heard good things about castor oil as well. It could be worth a shot and is something natural. Maybe with just time alone his follicles will come around, hair is a pretty slow process as it is. Happy growing!

Thanks everyone.. Yes his dermatologist recommended Rogaine. I put black castor oil on everyone's hair at home so hopefully it will thicken up over time. His fav actor is The Rock so at least it's someone to look up to ��