Page 34 of 56 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalp care

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Scalp care

Quote Originally Posted by enting View Post
    I plan on trying out the L'Oreal one you like, because if your hair liked HH and my hair likes HH, I figure I may as well try it. HH is discontinued where I live also. I bought a couple of bottles last time I was in the USA and am rationing them. If need be I can do that again sometime, if the L'Oreal is either too hard to find or not as good for my hair. I'm so glad it's your new HG and is still available where you are!
    Thank you. I hope you can easily find it, and I do hope you like it. It gives so much slip and softness without getting your hair heavy or oily, and that is what I like about it.

Over here the range is called Elsève, but it goes under Elvive in English speaking countries, I think.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Thank you. I hope you can easily find it, and I do hope you like it. It gives so much slip and softness without getting your hair heavy or oily, and that is what I like about it.

Over here the range is called Elsève, but it goes under Elvive in English speaking countries, I think.
    I think here it's Elvive, but honestly I don't spend much time in the haircare aisle usually. I do vaguely find the look of the bottle familiar, though, so we probably have at least some of the line here. I'd also generally assume that whatever you have, we also have, but that could be wrong. I'll make a note to myself to look for it next time I'm in the grocery store or pharmacy.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by enting View Post
    I think here it's Elvive, but honestly I don't spend much time in the haircare aisle usually. I do vaguely find the look of the bottle familiar, though, so we probably have at least some of the line here. I'd also generally assume that whatever you have, we also have, but that could be wrong. I'll make a note to myself to look for it next time I'm in the grocery store or pharmacy.
    Awesome!

Here our local Lidl just did a promotion, 4.99 euro for 2 bottles, a lot of variations possible. I might see if they still have some left next Wednesday.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    ?/TBL/CL?
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
    My scalp has been doing well this past summer. Washing twice a week and using scalp lotion somewhat regularly has kept it calm. No dry flakes or greasy dandruff. Hopefully colder weather won't upset my scalp!
    Awesome! What's the scalp lotion? And when do you apply the lotion?
    Virginia from Virginia. Climber / fitness junkie trying to figure out how to grow out my hair and be active inside and outside everyday!

Length
    ?/TBL/CL?
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
    My scalp needs regular exfoliation too. If the brush is working for you, great! I was doing scrubs for a while but realized that I wasn’t crazy about the amount of hair that was shedding afterwards (even though most of it was probably close to falling out anyway). Now I use a shampoo once a week that contains 2% salicylic acid, which is a chemical (as opposed to mechanical) exfoliant. Just wanted to share that option too.
    I've actually been trying to find a salicylic acid shampoo, since I've been using this salicylic acid scalp spot treatment that my scalp seems to like. What shampoo do you use and what % SA? Have you tried multiple ones? There are so many and I'm still not sure what my scalp likes as far as sulfates/sulfate-free/natural/etc.
    Virginia from Virginia. Climber / fitness junkie trying to figure out how to grow out my hair and be active inside and outside everyday!

Length
    SL/TBL/?
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by gin View Post
    Awesome! What's the scalp lotion? And when do you apply the lotion?
    It probably starts to sound like someone is paying me to talk about this product but I just really really like it The brand is Finnish Sim System 4. I apply the lotion usually the night before wash day. There's not many options here when it comes to scalp products that have no alcohol denat. Here's the ingredients list if you can't get this specific product and would like to look for something similar:
    Aqua, Glycerin, Glycerin, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Betaine, Propylheptyl Caprylate, Climbazole, Piroctone Olamine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Allantoin, Panthenol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ceramide NP; Ceramide AP; Ceramide EOP; Phytosphingosine; Cholestrol: Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate; Carbomer; Xanthan Gum, C12-13 Alkyl Lactate, Sodium Lactate, Sodium PCA, Glycine, Fructose, Urea, Niacinamide, Inositol, Sodium Benzoate, Lactic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin

Length
    ?/TBL/CL?
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
    It probably starts to sound like someone is paying me to talk about this product but I just really really like it The brand is Finnish Sim System 4. I apply the lotion usually the night before wash day. There's not many options here when it comes to scalp products that have no alcohol denat. Here's the ingredients list if you can't get this specific product and would like to look for something similar:
    Aqua, Glycerin, Glycerin, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Betaine, Propylheptyl Caprylate, Climbazole, Piroctone Olamine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Allantoin, Panthenol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Powder, Tocopheryl Acetate, Ceramide NP; Ceramide AP; Ceramide EOP; Phytosphingosine; Cholestrol: Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate; Carbomer; Xanthan Gum, C12-13 Alkyl Lactate, Sodium Lactate, Sodium PCA, Glycine, Fructose, Urea, Niacinamide, Inositol, Sodium Benzoate, Lactic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin
    Thanks for the info! I'll see if I can find anything similar.

So I'm having serious issues figuring out my scalp! I thought the exfoliation was the answer, but turns out I was just having a good week that week or something. Well, I'm sure it helped, but it didn't clear up everything. Thankfully my scalp problem isn't really that big of a problem - it's just minor itchiness and a couple scalp acne bumps and/or tender spots. The itchiness is mild enough that I don't have to scratch it, usually I just apply a little pressure with my finger and that's fine, or just don't do anything. But it's annoying.

What's bizarre is that what I'm experiencing seems to be the opposite of what most people have when it comes to scalp issues. My scalp has the worst symptoms after I wash it - i.e. the itchiness and acne will appear within 24 hours of washing, and then after that it usually gets better or at the very least stays the same. Most every time I wash my hair, it will alleviate the previous acne and itchy spots, but then new acne/itchy spots will appear. Part of me suspects dry scalp because of this, but I also think I have a sensitive scalp when it comes to updos/buns which could also be contributing.

So far it seems like no matter what I try, nothing really changes. Product-wise, I really haven't seen much of a difference or improvement. So what I'm focusing on now is pH levels of products, since I just started reading about that. I got some pH strips and tested all the various products I have. It does seems like the products that yielded the worst results had a higher pH (around 6.5-7). What's interesting is that some of the products have a different pH than the company is saying they have. A cowash I tried (As I am), which was the worst for my scalp, was supposed to have a pH of 5.5 according to the company. But it was the most basic one of all the products I have, it came out about the same pH as our water (7). I had read that Trader Joe's Nourish Spa shampoo was supposed to have a pH of 7, but for me it came out to around 5.5. In any case, maybe my scalp needs a specific pH, and I guess I'll find out soon...

What I've tried:

SO many different shampoos, both sulfate and sulfate-free, old shampoos, new shampoos, Nizoral, zinc pyrithione, tea tree oil shampoo, etc etc etc. Several different scalp serums (and also no scalp serum at all). Conditioning the scalp, not putting anything on the scalp. Oiling the scalp, not oiling the scalp. Cowashes. Vinegar rinses. Hydrosols. WO and stretching washes didn't help (for other reasons). Scalp exfoliation. Blow drying just the scalp so it's not wet for as long.

Other things I'm considering trying:
    Using face/skin products, like toners or serums. Wearing my hair down more, especially after washing. Salicylic acid shampoo. Wet scalp more?

I've finally scheduled a dermatologist appointment, but it's not for another month. I guess until then I'll keep experimenting!

Curious. Very Curious. Ophidian's Avatar
    Length
    Buzz/FTL+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I've actually been trying to find a salicylic acid shampoo, since I've been using this salicylic acid scalp spot treatment that my scalp seems to like. What shampoo do you use and what % SA? Have you tried multiple ones? There are so many and I'm still not sure what my scalp likes as far as sulfates/sulfate-free/natural/etc.
    The two I’ve tried are Avalon Organics Medicated Anti-Dandruff Shampoo and Jason Dandruff Relief shampoo (not 2-in-1). Both contain 2% salicylic acid, and the Jason also has sulfur. I like the Jason shampoo a lot but the sulfur smell can be pretty overwhelming so I mostly stick with the Avalon. Here’s my routine:

Sunday: Wash scalp with 2% salicylic acid shampoo. Massage in, let it sit for several minutes, massage again, rinse directly off scalp as I find it drying on the length. Massage scalp again with Jason 2-in-1 (it’s like a zinc-containing cowash, basically). Let sit a few minutes, rinse through hair. Love this stuff so much.

Thursday: Wash with 2-in-1 only.

If my scalp gets flaky: Nizoral 1% for a wash or two. In the beginning I had to use Nizoral consistently for a while to get my scalp clear. Now I don’t need it if I stick to the routine above. It’s been a great maintenance strategy for me that works for both scalp and length.

I prefer sulfate free which is why I’ve only tried Avalon and Jason, but off the top of my head T-Sal is another option, and I’m sure there are other drugstore brands that contain salicylic acid out there to choose from too.

ETA: here’s an article from science-y hair blog that informed my routine and has a list of dandruff treatment products with various active ingredients. She’s got other scalp-related articles too and they’re all great.

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.co...scalp.html?m=1
    Last edited by Ophidian; September 18th, 2019 at 07:15 PM.

Short... SL... APL... MBL...Waist... Hip... Tailbone... Classic... Knee...

Length
    ?/TBL/CL?
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
    The two I’ve tried are Avalon Organics Medicated Anti-Dandruff Shampoo and Jason Dandruff Relief shampoo (not 2-in-1). Both contain 2% salicylic acid, and the Jason also has sulfur. I like the Jason shampoo a lot but the sulfur smell can be pretty overwhelming so I mostly stick with the Avalon. Here’s my routine:

Sunday: Wash scalp with 2% salicylic acid shampoo. Massage in, let it sit for several minutes, massage again, rinse directly off scalp as I find it drying on the length. Massage scalp again with Jason 2-in-1 (it’s like a zinc-containing cowash, basically). Let sit a few minutes, rinse through hair. Love this stuff so much.

Thursday: Wash with 2-in-1 only.

If my scalp gets flaky: Nizoral 1% for a wash or two. In the beginning I had to use Nizoral consistently for a while to get my scalp clear. Now I don’t need it if I stick to the routine above. It’s been a great maintenance strategy for me that works for both scalp and length.

I prefer sulfate free which is why I’ve only tried Avalon and Jason, but off the top of my head T-Sal is another option, and I’m sure there are other drugstore brands that contain salicylic acid out there to choose from too.

ETA: here’s an article from science-y hair blog that informed my routine and has a list of dandruff treatment products with various active ingredients. She’s got other scalp-related articles too and they’re all great.

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.co...scalp.html?m=1
    Thanks for the info! I love the science-y hair blog too. My wash days are Wednesday and Saturday (sometimes Sunday if I have something going on Saturday), so our wash schedules are pretty much the same.

So have you only tried Avalon and Jason and those happened to work out? I've tried a multitude of shampoos so far and while some seem to be better than others, none have been great and none have alleviated my scalp issues completely. Nizoral didn't work for me AT ALL and made things much worse. I'm so weary of buying yet more shampoos only for them to not work out, but I guess it's a price I need to pay in order to find one that works.

I also prefer sulfate-free and definitely need silicone-free, so I'll definitely look into Avalon/Jason. Do you happen to know the pH of them?

Curious. Very Curious. Ophidian's Avatar
    Length
    Buzz/FTL+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I’m not sure of the pH, though both products are marked “pH balanced” I believe. I totally hear you on being wary of buying too many products. I had to do a fair bit of trial and error to find what helped me. I tried to focus on specific active ingredients (ketoconazole, zinc, salicylic acid with and without sulfur...), learning what they do and trialling them one at a time. For me, I tried the Jason shampoo (salicylic acid + sulfur) first. I used it regularly for a few months and while it seemed to help a little and my hair liked it, it didn’t totally clear my scalp. So I got 1% Nizoral, and used it as directed for about a month as it began making a noticeable difference after the first week of so of use. But, my scalp gets dry and irritated if I use sulfates for an extended period, so I went back to the Jason shampoo, which kept my scalp clear as long as I didn’t miss a wash. If I did and my scalp started to flare up again, I would do a Nizoral wash or two and it would calm down. But the sulfur smell in my hair was driving me nuts. So, realizing that regular exfoliation with salicylic acid seemed to keep the problem under control as long as I didn’t slip up, and Nizoral would knock it out if I did, I decided to try a new salicylic acid shampoo (the Avalon) to exfoliate once a week and added in the zinc 2-in-1 as my regular twice weekly cleanser since zinc is an anti fungal (though milder than Ketoconazole).

Well that was long winded! Even if you didn’t make it through all the details, my main point is that a) trialling this stuff seems to take a while and I know how frustrating it is when things aren’t working . I know my experience is different from yours, as you already stated that Nizoral made things worse. But I think there’s something to looking at what active ingredients are supposed to do and using your results with a product to inform what you might try next. Like slowly narrowing in, which it sounds like you’re starting to do with the pH observation. It sounds like you’re on the right track, and I’m glad you’ve got a derm appointment scheduled.

If you’ve already read science-y hairblog I’m basically just regurgitating everything she says, but I did want to share my experience just to show how I slowly got from “nothing is working” to “well this helps a little” to a maintenance routine that actually works. Hang in there!

ETA: I left out everything I tried prior to this that failed miserably, including sulfate shampoos, cowashing, frequent washing, infrequent washing, tea tree oil products, various herb rinses and masks (love doing them for my hair but scalp didn’t improve), scalp oiling, no scalp oiling, ACV... probably more that I’ve forgotten and a lot of which you’ve mentioned above too.

ETA 2: you may have already mentioned this too and if so I apologize for missing it, but have you had any experiences with fragrance vs. fragrance free products? Do you feel like there might be some sensitivity issues that might be causing some kind of inflammatory response? Just food for thought.

Thanks for the info! I love the science-y hair blog too. My wash days are Wednesday and Saturday (sometimes Sunday if I have something going on Saturday), so our wash schedules are pretty much the same.

So have you only tried Avalon and Jason and those happened to work out? I've tried a multitude of shampoos so far and while some seem to be better than others, none have been great and none have alleviated my scalp issues completely. Nizoral didn't work for me AT ALL and made things much worse. I'm so weary of buying yet more shampoos only for them to not work out, but I guess it's a price I need to pay in order to find one that works.

I also prefer sulfate-free and definitely need silicone-free, so I'll definitely look into Avalon/Jason. Do you happen to know the pH of them?
    Last edited by Ophidian; September 19th, 2019 at 12:25 AM. Reason: So. Many. Typos.

Short... SL... APL... MBL...Waist... Hip... Tailbone... Classic... Knee...