Page 46 of 56 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Scalp care

Length
    SL/TBL/?
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Scalp care

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    I think it's definitely not dryness in my case. I produce sebum like mad. In the summer, my skin (scalp included) behaves mostly like oily skin, but towards the winter, the combination side of it (I suppose I have oily combination skin?) starts to show a bit more. Still, it seems to be strongly linked to not washing my scalp for the extended period of time.
    So the not washing threw things off... I wonder if getting back to regular washing will eventually solve it.

I swear I'm not a spokes person or something but I love System 4 products, specifically the moisture lotion. I haven't had trouble with gunky dandruff since I started using it. I accidentally also got Climbazole scalp tonic and was a bit reluctant to try it since it has alcohol denat high on the inci list (but no colorants or fragrance). I haven't used it regularly so didn't see any negative side effects from all that alcohol. It could be an option for you if you're looking for OTC product(s) to try https://sim.fi/en/products/system-4/...le-scalp-tonic The moisture lotion also has climbazole and lots of great stuff in it and isn't as harsh as the tonic but the tonic is aimed for oily scalp, so go for that if you are suspecting your scalp isn't in need of moisture and reacting to that by producing too much sebum.

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
    So the not washing threw things off... I wonder if getting back to regular washing will eventually solve it.

I swear I'm not a spokes person or something but I love System 4 products, specifically the moisture lotion. I haven't had trouble with gunky dandruff since I started using it. I accidentally also got Climbazole scalp tonic and was a bit reluctant to try it since it has alcohol denat high on the inci list (but no colorants or fragrance). I haven't used it regularly so didn't see any negative side effects from all that alcohol. It could be an option for you if you're looking for OTC product(s) to try https://sim.fi/en/products/system-4/...le-scalp-tonic The moisture lotion also has climbazole and lots of great stuff in it and isn't as harsh as the tonic but the tonic is aimed for oily scalp, so go for that if you are suspecting your scalp isn't in need of moisture and reacting to that by producing too much sebum.
    Thank you for the recommendation! I think I will first try to solve it with washing and things I already have at hand, because I really have to pay attention to my finances for the rest of the year, but I will definitely keep those products in mind.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    SL/TBL/?
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Thank you for the recommendation! I think I will first try to solve it with washing and things I already have at hand, because I really have to pay attention to my finances for the rest of the year, but I will definitely keep those products in mind.
    I hope things return normal soon! Ideally you won't need any special product or medical intervention Just now I remembered that I used diluted ACV on my scalp years ago but can't remember if I stopped it because it didn't work for me or because I started using commercial products. I think it's recommended for possible issues with yeast so not sure if it could help with excess sebum. At least it's a cheap and mild DIY recipe to try (and the shine from ACV rinses is great!).

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I've had a flaking issue (at least I think that's what 'flaking' is - white "slabs" that come off by scratching) on my left sideburn for a while now. It came around during my forced 1.5-week no-washing period. That was about a month ago now, but the flakes keep coming back in that area. I've been washing my hair more normally for a while now, but still not daily. Any suggestions?
    For me, when I get a flare-up (SD, seborrheic dermatitis) it always starts around the sides (above ears) or temple region.

Do you have Head & Shoulders on hand? If so, suds up, let it sit for about 2/3 minutes, suds some more (wash) and then rinse thoroughly. That should help if it's not too bad, otherwise you might have to throw Nizoral 2% at it!

But for me, if I use H&S early enough (so quite quickly), it for sure helps, but you gotta let it sit for a couple minutes!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
    I hope things return normal soon! Ideally you won't need any special product or medical intervention Just now I remembered that I used diluted ACV on my scalp years ago but can't remember if I stopped it because it didn't work for me or because I started using commercial products. I think it's recommended for possible issues with yeast so not sure if it could help with excess sebum. At least it's a cheap and mild DIY recipe to try (and the shine from ACV rinses is great!).
    Ah, I didn't know ACV could help with yeast issues as well! Cool stuff, for sure. I will keep that in mind, too.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    For me, when I get a flare-up (SD, seborrheic dermatitis) it always starts around the sides (above ears) or temple region.

Do you have Head & Shoulders on hand? If so, suds up, let it sit for about 2/3 minutes, suds some more (wash) and then rinse thoroughly. That should help if it's not too bad, otherwise you might have to throw Nizoral 2% at it!

But for me, if I use H&S early enough (so quite quickly), it for sure helps, but you gotta let it sit for a couple minutes!
    I don't have any H&S, but it's cheap so I could even pick some up! Thank you!

Length
    chin/SL/HL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post

I agree. It really helps, especially if you let H&S shampoo sit for a few minutes on your scalp. My scalp was itchy a month ago and this method worked so well .

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

I found a tea tree shampoo in my stash, and I needed to open a new one anyway, so I chose that one. I also did a scalp scrub. I will continue using that shampoo for now. If it doesn't work, I will buy a bottle of H&S.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I don't have any H&S, but it's cheap so I could even pick some up! Thank you!
    Even the knock-offs will do if you have those! They do them at Lidl or Aldi for instance!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Good idea for a thread!

I've noticed that I have scalp issues too. It's mostly just dandruff. To cure it I usually use Head&Shoulders Shampoo or Neutrogena T/Gel Shampoo. But lately, I've been doing daily scalp massages and oiling it after every wash. I just love how it feels when I feel the blood circulating through it.

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I found a tea tree shampoo in my stash, and I needed to open a new one anyway, so I chose that one. I also did a scalp scrub. I will continue using that shampoo for now. If it doesn't work, I will buy a bottle of H&S.
    Oh, I love tea tree shampoo. Especially, the one by Paul Mitchele. I love how his tea tree shampoo just makes your scalp tingle and it's a cool feeling. I haven't used it in 10 years though. That's because it's so pricey. Yes, opening up a new one in your stash would definitely be a good idea!