Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mrs. Stewarts blueing

Length
    2/13/52
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Default Mrs. Stewarts blueing

So... I'm going to be weird for just a minute. I wash my laundry by hand and I blue my whites to brighten them. Once in awhile I stain my hands blue, and it occurs to me that if I didnt bun my hair that too might be stained.
    Has anyone used laundry blueing as an alternative hair dye?

Pixie 2015 ~ TBL 2020 ~ ​Ear 2021 ~ Knee 2030?

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Mrs. Stewarts blueing

Not per se, but I've used Era Laundry Detergent before to force-fade my semi-permanent hair color and it has bluing in it to "whiten and brighten" whites and colors AND had it put a faint blue tint to my hair before (it washed out in the next shampooing, though).
    Not Cut, But After Washing, Before Brushing and Bunning...Baby steps!

Length
    2/13/52
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

I wonder if its the same stuff in the purple whitening shampoo?

Didn't old ladies used to use blueing on their hair to brighten the white? Isn't that why old ladies had the stereotype of having pastel-blue hair, because some of them overdid it? LOL.

(In fact, I seem to remember that one of the Ramona books found her managing to turn her doll's hair green, because the doll was blond and she decided to give it a "blue rinse" like she'd heard of some older neighbor or relative having done to her hair...)

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

I think most purple shampoos contain synthetic dyes like Violet 2. People definitely use bluing (diluted quite a bit) in place of purple shampoo. Mrs. Stewart's does discuss that on their web site although they do not mention dying your hair straight up blue. I might try it for toning one day.
    Battle Wench Arvoreen of the Scything Curls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Didn't old ladies used to use blueing on their hair to brighten the white? Isn't that why old ladies had the stereotype of having pastel-blue hair, because some of them overdid it? LOL.

(In fact, I seem to remember that one of the Ramona books found her managing to turn her doll's hair green, because the doll was blond and she decided to give it a "blue rinse" like she'd heard of some older neighbor or relative having done to her hair...)
    Yes, I remember reading that or hearing it someplace. I was actually thinking about trying it once I grow my grey out some more. I think it would brighten without giving the ashy tone purple shampoos can.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SwanFeathers View Post
    So... I'm going to be weird for just a minute. I wash my laundry by hand and I blue my whites to brighten them. Once in awhile I stain my hands blue, and it occurs to me that if I didnt bun my hair that too might be stained.
    Has anyone used laundry blueing as an alternative hair dye?
    We wash whites at least on 60°C, my mom used to wash them at 95°C (our machine still does that, it's almost boiling point). So when you do them by hand, that has to be 40° tops in order not to burn yourself; can you get all the staining out easily at that low a temperature? Just curious.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    0.5"/27"/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    We wash whites at least on 60°C, my mom used to wash them at 95°C (our machine still does that, it's almost boiling point). So when you do them by hand, that has to be 40° tops in order not to burn yourself; can you get all the staining out easily at that low a temperature? Just curious.
    I wash everything on cold and have never had an issue with staining... The detergent does its job in my case
    Last trim 20th Jun 2023.
    Buzz-SL[17"]-APL[20"]- BSL[25"]-WL[28"]-HL[31"]-TBL[34"]-CL[38"]
    Buzz 2018- 35"/TBL 2023

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by illicitlizard View Post
    I wash everything on cold and have never had an issue with staining... The detergent does its job in my case
    Even for men's white underwear and blood stains?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

We wash most things at 40℃, some things at 30℃ as per instructions, towels at 60℃ and sometimes my Dad's uniform at 60℃ (if it's caked in grass stains, mud, even chicken blood/feathers in the past). A decent detergent will get out stains (even blood) at 20℃, especially if it's been pre-soaked.

I've actually never heard of blueing - is it literally a blue liquid? We have used blue coloured detergents at times, but I wouldn't dream of getting it anywhere near my hair
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness