No, I haven't impulsively dyed my hair and now desperately want to remove it I'm asking for some help to save my mom's hair.

She's been dyeing her hair red for the past two years. Recently she got tired of it, plus she thinks bright hair color looks inappropriate on women aged 50 and older (which is total bs in my opinion, but oh well). Here's a picture of what she had:

So she decided to tone it down a bit and get more of darker reddish chestnut color, something like my hennaed hair:

Aaaaaaaaand here's what she got:

The problem is that the result is at least one level darker than she wanted, it's almost black in artificial lighting (the goal was to look chestnut-y in artificial lighting and even lighter under sunlight). It also seems cooler than mom wanted. Plus the color absorbed unevenly, more porous ends sucked up more pigment and now seem darker than roots and lengths, I went with her with the salon and it was really obvious when the hairdresser was blowdrying her hair (it became less obvious after the hair was curled, of course).

The color overall looks ok, but my mom isn't very happy with it. The hairdresser she went to has been doing her hair for the past 18 years, so she didn't want any conflicts, but we do think of maybe going to another place next time.

Right now she wants to try and wash out as much color as possible at home before going to a different salon. She's growing her hair out and not damaging it is a priority. Guys, please, throw all the DIY color removing recipes you know at me! The only method I can think of is oils, but there must be more options.