Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top man knot

Default Top man knot

I wanted to do the top knot hairstyle with the lower part (sides head and nape) shaved, I read that the minimum length of the hair should be 6 inches, the question is how do I measure the length?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Top man knot

I don't think there's a minimum length. It all depends on the thickness of your hair. With shaved bits, I'm sure you could do a bun quite fast. How long is your hair?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2a/C/iii

Welcome to LHC!

My question for you is: do you really want a momentarily trendy and very high-maintenance hair style? Or, would you rather have a timeless hair style that is easy to maintain?

Nearly everyone here opts for the latter, i.e. all-around long hair with any trimming done only at the ends. Long-haired people settle into this style because it is maintainable over time (years).

If one feels a need for something new, one can always try a new bun or hair toy.

I know this isn't the answer you expected, but when it comes to long hair, one needs to plan a few years ahead.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

@lapushka is the doubt, not how the length is measured @Ed Until last July for 14 years I had long hair up to half back, then cut to almost zero

Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by marduk87 View Post
    @lapushka is the doubt, not how the length is measured @Ed Until last July for 14 years I had long hair up to half back, then cut to almost zero
    Wow, then you know a lot about long hair.

One thing that has changed in the last few years is that men can wear buns and hair toys without being perceived as weird. That way, one can go from long hair to effectively short hair and back nearly instantaneously.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

in any case how do I measure the length?

Type
    2a/C/iii

6 inches is almost certainly the length of the longest strands. Just measure one.

Often it is easiest to measure the length of a strand after it has shedded.

There is another method of measuring hair length from the forehead over the top of the head and down the back. This method is used on this board, but it does not measure true hair length.
    Ed

Lean forward, and try to collect all the hair you want to keep together at the point where you want the top knot to be. If it all collects together without falling away, happy days. If not, wait for more length

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    chin/MBL/term
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I brush all my hair back so I have no part and then measure from the middle of my hairline down my back.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Maybe a picture would be better. Could you post a picture?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)