Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combing and dry tears

Type
    2a/C/iii

Default Combing and dry tears

Here is an odd problem that I have noticed: after combing my hair, the corners of my eyes will be filled with dry tears. This seems to be due to the combing stimulating the scalp.

I usually need to clean my eyes with a damp washcloth.

Has anyone encountered this? Are the dry tears unavoidable?
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    EAR/TBL/TERM

Default Re: Combing and dry tears

I have no idea what you are talking about and use a comb brush combo thing (tangle teezer not sure the actual category) lol

Type
    2a/C/iii

I will clarify. The tears are from the tear glands around the eyes. They have dried so they do not flow like wet tears. Instead, they come out when the scalp has been stimulated (as when combing).

My optometrist suggested that the dry eyes may be a medical condition. It doesn't appear to be serious enough to warrant seeing a doctor.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

I used to call that having sleep in your eyes. As a kid I would wake up with a minimal crust over in the corner of my eyes, just as you describe.

Haven't had that in years.

It doesn't sound particularly relevant, but lubricating eye drops like Systane are suggested by my ophthalmologist for cleansing and resetting if I need to do that.

It could also be your body shedding some contaminants. Remember, this is springtime, which means dust and pollen. Do you find this to be a seasonal thing?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I've never had that happen with combing, but I do sneeze when I tweeze excess hairs from my eyebrow area.

Type
    2a/C/iii

cjk - I would occasionally get "sleep in my eyes" as a kid. It is caused by some irritant. Washing my face seems to help.

spidermom - the eyes and nose are connected (per the Wikipedia article on tear glands).
    Ed

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

It hasn't happened to me yet, Ed. Interesting phenomenon, though!

If it doesn't bother you, I wouldn't seek out a doctor for this. Seems harmless enough, but it is a fun fact to share. At least, I hope it doesn't bother you!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Huh, I wake up with 'sleep in my eyes' every morning (a fair amount) and periodically have to wipe away some that forms throughout the day too - but I've never had any in connection with combing my hair (or doing anything to my hair). Though when I brush my teeth, my nose itches, and my nose sometimes runs when I neaten up my eyebrows using tweezers.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

I get sleep in my eyes from pollen.

I cough if I stick something in my left ear :-) Right ear makes no difference.

My husband always looks at lights if he wants to sneeze. I don’t, it would give me a migraine, and hay fever makes me sneeze a plenty.

Type
    2a/C/iii

lapushka - the dry tears are harmless. I am pretty sure a doctor would tell me that I am just getting old.

MusicalSpoons - I also clean my eyes when I wake up and occasionally during the day. Combing just seems to be especially good at bringing out the dry tears.

Lady Stardust - I am certain pollen is an irritant. Another irritant is peppers in spicy foods.
    Ed
    Last edited by EdG; May 27th, 2018 at 02:18 PM.