View Poll Results: Do you think it's better to have regular trims or just keep growing?

Voters
224. You may not vote on this poll
  • Regular trims are always best.

20 8.93%
  • Only trim when needed.

104 46.43%
  • I'm trying to trim as little as possible!

86 38.39%
  • I'm still trying to figure it out!

34 15.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Better to trim or just keep growing?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    21/HL/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Better to trim or just keep growing?

I want to know what everyone specifically believes is best for growing long hair.
    Have those with hair past waist found that it helps to trim regularly?
    Or do you just let it grow and trim at infrequent times when needed?
    I've read that it is the opinion of some long hairs (here and some articles online) that you should trim your hair regularly and make sure all the damage is gone.
    I feel like I would never get anywhere if I did that though. Earlier this year I trimmed a few inches off so I feel like I didn't make very much progress this year.
    But is that the way to go? Will that help in the long run?
    I feel like I barely have patience to grow as it is. I don't think I have the patience for regular trims.

* SL * APL * BSL * * WL * HL * BCL* TBL * Classic ?

Carys-Kitteh's Servant AZDesertRose's Avatar
    Length
    SL/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/F/M/iii

Default Re: Better to trim or just keep growing?

It depends on your hair.

Right now, I'm maintaining at waist because due to illness, I've let my longer ends get damaged, and I want to let the damage grow out, so I'll probably chill at waist a year or two.

But if I hadn't sustained so much damage and I was just letting it grow, I'd trim only when my ends seemed to need it.

It's individual. What works for me isn't necessarily going to work for you or anyone else.
    Last edited by AZDesertRose; December 17th, 2017 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Edited to add a couple of words I forgot
    Not quite APL -> APL -> BSL -> Mid-Back with compact-cut layers and holding a while-> ???

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I haven't trimmed since November of last year. This year went well, and without hiccups; I just don't think about it, moisturize well, clarify well and just take good care of my ends/lengths. It works for me. So far. We'll see what next year brings. I am going into next year's no-trimming without trimming in between. No need to, and it is always just such a hassle to do (to make a ponytail on my forehead and snip a bit off is a chore with thick hair in and of itself). Besides I am going for classic... maybe 6 more months? Might be.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Sl/Elbow/Tbl
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I've been micro trimming monthly, and at the suggestion of a lady with stunning long hair who works in the cafeteria of the hospital I work in, I've started doing my trims on the new moon. There may be nothing to it, but I figure she has great hair so I'll try doing what she says. XD Anyhoo, I've been doing that for 3 months now and so far so good! I only trim like .5cm or less each time, so I'm still noticing good growth when I compare progress every few weeks (I've never officially measured, I just notice which body parts my hair can touch now :P).
    Last edited by Mega Moose; December 17th, 2017 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Autocorrect strikes again

*I* Trimmed when needed ~ micro trimmed if ends were damaged (only 1/2 of the new growth)..... otherwise, I let it grow.

I did that until my layers made me crazy because my hair is so fine and my hemline was thin...then I snipped an inch x 2.

And now at one length with healthy ends, I play it by ear month to month as to whether I leave it....dust racers...or snip to maintain.
    Last edited by Groovy Granny; December 17th, 2017 at 08:52 PM.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Unless your hair is breaking off or fragile, if you want it to grow, you don't want to cut it. Trims don't promote growth, they prevent breakage and remove split ends.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    HL/TBL+/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

There is no universal answer here - different types of hair respond differently

For me, I have delicate fine hair that accrues mechanical damage if left unchecked, and I gain and retain length MUCH better if I microtrim frequently - every month - than if I let months pass between trims. Damage begets more damage for me, so I need to make sure that I keep my ends as fresh as possible to avoid the snowball effect. I just make sure that I trim less than my monthly growth when I want to gain length.

This doesn't work for everyone - for those with a slow growth rate, or with a stall/spurt growth pattern, or with super resilient hair that is more damage resistant, or with a tight curl pattern where shrinkage eats up visible length, my approach would probably just set them back.

Each of us learns our own hair to discern the best way forward
    ▪daily washing▪monthly trimming▪top-down detangling▪sulfate shampoo down to the ends▪coney conditioner up to the roots▪henna and hibiscus▪worn down and loose on the regular▪

Length
    Chin/TBL/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I voted “I’m trying to trim as little as possible”. I was micro-trimming last year to grow out layers, a deep v-cut. My trim was November last year, and the hemline had a deep U shape.
    This year I thought to myself, why not join the no-trim challenge?? I gained so much length this year, but the hemline is getting thinner. So for me, to trim or not to trim is a question of “do I wanna gain more length or thicken the hemline?”

Currently at TBL , onward to Classic!

Length
    Bald/APL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by pandabarrier View Post
    I voted “I’m trying to trim as little as possible”. I was micro-trimming last year to grow out layers, a deep v-cut. My trim was November last year, and the hemline had a deep U shape.
    This year I thought to myself, why not join the no-trim challenge?? I gained so much length this year, but the hemline is getting thinner. So for me, to trim or not to trim is a question of “do I wanna gain more length or thicken the hemline?”
    THIS!! ^ I figure I'll trim it & maintain when I reach goal. Probably not for another couple of years.
    08.1.2020-Bald
    “Her messy hair is a visible attribute of her stubborn spirit. As she shakes it free, she smiles knowing wild is her favorite color” (J. Iron Word)

Length
    24+/TBL/E=mc2
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

It really is different for everyone. I'm enjoying the journey as I go, so trim a few centimetres every 4 months or so to keep the neat freak side of me happy. I want to be happy at any and every stage, and find this does the trick for me. And even with trimming, I've still gained heaps.
    Lady Soreil, Fey-Born Bard in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    ~spider silk fine, 4.5" pony circ.~

~Back from Tippy Fingers to the Buttzone, yet forever onwards through varied hues of Tawny Trails, towards ye Crystal Cascades~