View Poll Results: Do you think it's better to have regular trims or just keep growing?

Voters
224. You may not vote on this poll
  • Regular trims are always best.

20 8.93%
  • Only trim when needed.

104 46.43%
  • I'm trying to trim as little as possible!

86 38.39%
  • I'm still trying to figure it out!

34 15.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Better to trim or just keep growing?

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Better to trim or just keep growing?

When I had old damage on my ends, I trimmed every 3 months to get rid of it. Sadly, it went up as fast as I trimmed so small trims took me nowhere after a few years of hope and patience. I had to cut all the damage off at once and when I had healthy ends I only trimmed when needed. Once I went with no trims for a year because I waited till a trim was absolutely necessary, wanting to grow the length back as fast as possible. At other times, it was 9 months or so. So basically I trimmed whenever it was necessary (either as soon as I noticed a change in how my ends look ed or behaved, or a few months later, but really just a few).
    Now I trim all the excess growth but that's a different story, I've reached my goal

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I voted 'Only trim when needed' for growing long hair - i.e. when your hair needs it.

My ends are a little thin but the actual hairs there seem quite healthy. I'm currently just trying to get on top of splits that appear throughout my hair but not going crazy or worrying too much. For me the damage doesn't appear to travel up the hair shaft, but for others it does. So you can see, from the range of answers already here, it really does depend on what your hair needs and what your goals are
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    25.5"/.../Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Still undecided about this.

I like a thick hemline, and I know with my hair, that requires trims. What I don't know yet is how often.

Guess it also depends on how fast your want to grow. I'm ok with waiting a bit as my goal is WL, and I'm about 5" away.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by nycelle View Post
    Still undecided about this.

I like a thick hemline, and I know with my hair, that requires trims. What I don't know yet is how often.

Guess it also depends on how fast your want to grow. I'm ok with waiting a bit as my goal is WL, and I'm about 5" away.
    nycelle, have you trimmed this year yet? Otherwise, you're welcome in the no-trimming thread. You shouldn't have trimmed past Jan. 1st 2018 to be able to join. But there's half challenges too, so you can still join the second half of the year, if you've already trimmed past the 1st this year.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/51/??
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Only when needed in my opinion. I remember during the time when my hair was at it's peak health and integrity, I almost never needed trims, and even at its peak lengths (BCL-TBL) the hemline was still thick thanks to natural dyes like Henna as well as my low maintenance style (I just wore it loose every day with no styling and kept it in a bun while sleeping). I'm sure this is the case for a lot of dedicated longhairs. I'm glad I was knowledgeable enough to not get tricked into the whole "you need to trim every however many weeks no matter what" idea or else I would have been cutting off so much healthy hair! That being said, I understand that damaged hair is much different in this respect and what I had (along with what others in this community have) is not exactly typical. So yeah, only when needed and thus it varies quite a bit depending on ones unique situation with their hair.

Right now my hair is suffering a lot more than I am comfortable with (I have rather high standards when it comes to damage and thus any noticeable breakage at all makes me squirm and want to cry and apologize to my hair) due to two mistakes I made in the last couple of years now catching up, so I'm trying to give it a lot of TLC and hold onto the length the best I can before I inevitably feel the need to trim.

Length
    25.5"/.../Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    nycelle, have you trimmed this year yet? Otherwise, you're welcome in the no-trimming thread. You shouldn't have trimmed past Jan. 1st 2018 to be able to join. But there's half challenges too, so you can still join the second half of the year, if you've already trimmed past the 1st this year.
    Last cut it (at least 7") December 30th 2017, nothing since so I qualify. Gonna think about it as I'm not yet sure I can last.. lol

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I trim two times a year, not only to keep my hair healthy, but to keep a blunt and straight hemline.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/BSL/Term
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

I don't trim regularly, I can't be bothered. I'm not fussy with hemlines, and as I'm now growing to Terminal, I plan to only stick with S&Ding. But I'm also growing out hair dye, so I might need to trim that off in the future (but hopefully not), so I voted for "Only trim when needed" and "I'm trying to trim as little as possible!".

Length
    SL/WL/HL
    Type
    3c/C/iii

If you've got something to grow out, like dye, chemicals or heat damage, then it's got to go in my opinion. Grow it to a length you're comfy with then slowly get rid.

If you just mean normal trims, I don't think they're needed if you don't do anything excessively damaging to your hair. I trim 2 a year maximum; my hair just isn't subject to a lot of damage.

Unless your hair is prone to splitting whatever you do, I think that needs more frequent trims to stop it travelling up.
    • SL CBL APL BSL MBL WL HL
    • no trims in 2019 (failed oct 2019) • shooting for hip by December 2019 (done) •

Length
    Bald/APL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by pandabarrier View Post
    I voted “I’m trying to trim as little as possible”. I was micro-trimming last year to grow out layers, a deep v-cut. My trim was November last year, and the hemline had a deep U shape.
    This year I thought to myself, why not join the no-trim challenge?? I gained so much length this year, but the hemline is getting thinner. So for me, to trim or not to trim is a question of “do I wanna gain more length or thicken the hemline?”
    THIS!! ^ I figure I'll trim it & maintain when I reach goal. Probably not for another couple of years.
    08.1.2020-Bald
    “Her messy hair is a visible attribute of her stubborn spirit. As she shakes it free, she smiles knowing wild is her favorite color” (J. Iron Word)