Thread: Postimage.org picture hosting

Length
    thigh/mbl/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Default Postimage.org picture hosting

I got tipped about postimage.org for off-site picture hosting - you can choose the size you want your picture to be and whether you want the link to expire within a set amount of days or never. No registering needed, just click upload. This seems very similar to tinypic to me, so I'm a bit sceptical. Tinypic reuses links sometimes, so after awhile your picture disappears and/or gets replaced by some other user's picture. Postimage does have the option of "no expiration", but it seems too good to be true, I guess. It's all free, how can they afford to host all these pictures without ever freeing up space? Does anyone know if the picture stays uploaded, with the same URL, "forever"?
    2008: 24cm/10" 2015: 41cm/16" 2022: 120cm/48" // 2022: 52cm/21"
    instagram

Default Re: Postimage.org picture hosting

Generally these kinda sites reuse URLs when the URL has < x amount of hits over y amount of time

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    you can choose the size you want your picture to be and whether you want the link to expire within a set amount of days or never. No registering needed, just click upload. Postimage does have the option of "no expiration", but it seems too good to be true, I guess. It's all free, how can they afford to host all these pictures without ever freeing up space?FM WhatsApp
    No way it's free. And if it's free, then the images won't last long and will be removed after a set period of time. Do you remember what Photobucket did to their users? It will be the same. It's better to use a reliable image hosting service even if it costs a little more.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Parshan View Post
    No way it's free. And if it's free, then the images won't last long and will be removed after a set period of time. Do you remember what Photobucket did to their users? It will be the same. It's better to use a reliable image hosting service even if it costs a little more.
    What do you use, then?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    What do you use, then?
    Whatever site that account intends to spamlink
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    What do you use, then?
    I use Flickr, but I pay for a pro account.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    APL/MBL/WL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Parshan View Post
    Not true. I've been using Imgur since 2017 (which is a free service, since there's no way I'm paying for any type of image hosting service, which is why I deleted my Photobucket account when they started charging an arm and a leg for third party hosting) and my images are still there. Photobucket didn't delete images, they just refused to display them until you upgraded your account to a paid one. Since a lot of people ended up deleting their accounts and moving over to Imgur (or a similar site), they rethought their harsh decisions and now give you an option between a couple different payment plans (though I didn't bite, since why pay for something if you don't have to). If you have a free account with Photobucket, your images will have a watermark over them, which is kind of distracting, so I don't think I'll ever go back to them again (if only they would have offered the alternate payment plans in the first place, many people would have gladly upgraded their accounts instead of them holding most of the Internet hostage, since most of the images had a warning over them to upgrade the account to a paid one in order for them to be visible again).
    Last edited by Lady Winchester; May 30th, 2023 at 11:21 PM.
    No friend requests, please. I won't accept them
    No trimming 2024: 11 January - 30 June
    APL - ​MBL - WL

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I use Postimage for all my photos on the forum (which is admittedly not very many). I first learned about it on here, I think through the "how to post an image (link heavy)" thread. It would not at all surprise me if the site someday went under or if links were reduplicated, but I don't value my silly little hair photos highly enough to care. For photos that are important to me, I am very careful to back them up to an external hard drive and, if I do need to share them online, to use some of my limited Google Drive space to do so.