Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightening hair/ covering greys naturally, without chemicals (for a coworker)

Length
    JBL/SL/WL
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

Question Lightening hair/ covering greys naturally, without chemicals (for a coworker)

So, I have a coworker who, because of medical issues, cannot use chemicals on her hair. Her hair is a light brown color, with some grey in it.. I think she is wanting to basically get rid of the greys. Any suggestions about natural things she can do? Like, I know henna would be safe, but she doesn't want red hair.. stuff like that. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.. not quite sure where it should go.

Hennahead
    - Looking for more natural ways to care for my hair
    Asymmetrical shave | JBL | SL | APL| BSL | WL

Length
    Pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: Lightening hair/ covering greys naturally, without chemicals (for a coworker)

Everything is chemicals, even plant sources like henna and indigo, so it really depends on her particular sensitivities. Not all hair dyes are created equally. Deposit-only dyes don't use the same ingredients as permanent dyes, and there are ranges of duration in between that also use different ingredients.
    Nique ~ Journeying from pixie in 2011 to who knows where

Pixie ~ Shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ BCL ~ Tailbone ~ Classic ~ Fingertip ~ Knee?

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Lightening hair/ covering greys naturally, without chemicals (for a coworker)

Light brown for herbal colors is often a blend of henna, indigo, and amla. It's possible, but not nearly as accurate or simple as chemical colors.

Since her hair is a light brown, she might try just cassia and amla. It'll give some color to her grays without risking them going to red with henna:

Length
    SL/CBL/HL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Unfortunately greys are very hard to cover without using peroxide or something like that. I'm growing out bleach and have a fair bit of greys in my new growth. I cover my regrowth with veggie based dyes (think like manic panic) and it covers them for about a week but they look bright, then if washes right oit and it's back to silver. The rest of my hair holds it, the bleach holds it like a champ of course, but even my brown hair keeps a tint you can see in sunlight, the silvers - nada.

That being said, Adore does make veggie based dyes in natural colours and a lot of people swear by them. It's super gentle and is basically like doing a deep conditioning. But it may just wash right out. She could prolong the colour by washing in cooler water and co-washing. There was a member on another board I go on who had a lot of greys and she did a lot of experimenting with different things to try and make the dye stick without having to bleach the greys. The only thing she found to be effective was a quick application of peroxide (I think it was only vol 10 but don't quote me on that).

Length
    SL/CBL/HL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Light brown for herbal colors is often a blend of henna, indigo, and amla. It's possible, but not nearly as accurate or simple as chemical colors.

Since her hair is a light brown, she might try just cassia and amla. It'll give some color to her grays without risking them going to red with henna:

So are the bottom three the same as the top three but with indigo added?

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Correct These were all blends done on graying human hair with everything mixed up and left on hair for 1 hour ( didn't do the tests, a former member did years ago).

Type
    3a/M/ii

What about catnip? I know nothing about it, and I'd like to know as I have a few grays too to hide (but my hair are dark brown). I remember that ktani used catnip to make the grays look blond. Catnip also does a lot of good to hair. But I think you have to make a catnip rinse every time you wash, while cassia lasts more.
    Last edited by ghanima; April 27th, 2017 at 10:26 AM.

Type
    3a/M/ii

Also, what about a gloss?

Length
    15"/34"/32"
    Type
    1b/M/ii

maybe a tea rinse. sage is darkening.
    ~May all your long hair dreams come true~
    ~The smallest feline is a masterpiece~Da Vinci
    ~Psalm 118:24
    ~How we behave toward cats here on earth determines our status in heaven~Robert A.Heinlein

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Cassia on its own should make the grays a golden hue, but it's not going to last that long (about 2 weeks to a month maybe, depending on how often she washes her hair).

And there is also the option of doing semi-permanent dyes. But if she can't stand chemicals... it is doubtful that will work.

Even though cassia is natural, I would still have her patch test it!!! Better safe than sorry.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)