Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My grey hair has a different texture to my dark hair!

Length
    9/20/25
    Type
    1a/1b/M/i/ii

Default My grey hair has a different texture to my dark hair!

Hi, this is a second post from me today. The other one is entirely concerned with colour but this is a different question. I am 52 years old and my natural hair colour, before any grey started to appear, was very dark brown and it was naturally very straight - not a kink in it at all. I still have a good bit of my natural colour, probably about 35% grey and this grey started to appear about 10 years ago or so. What I have noticed in recent years is that the texture of my hair overall seems to have changed and now there is a natural wave when wet that just becomes frizzy when blow dried, particularly near the ends where my hair is also over-coloured. I never use hot irons on my hair. I just hate them but do not mean any offence to those of you who use them. It is just that at my age I don't want to do any unnecessary damage. My grey hair is also a little stronger than the dark hair so it seems to dominate and I actually quite like the little bit of wavyness but hate the frizz. Is there anything I can do without spending a fortune to help balance the texture of my hair and reduce the frizz at the ends?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: My grey hair has a different texture to my dark hair!

Maybe it's just a matter of coming to terms with the new texture. If you don't want to use heat, I'm afraid that's about the only way to go. Take a look at the curly girl method by Lorraine Massey (it's a book). Plenty of online info to be found as well.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Henna made a night and day difference in the frizz level of my hair, but you have to like warm colors to pull it off! It is like the best thing by far that I've done for my hair texture wise.

Length
    9/20/25
    Type
    1a/1b/M/i/ii

Well, your hair looks fabulous so that is a recommendation in itself. I think when I finally get the colour thing sorted out it will be mostly a sort of purple colour - pretty much like it is on my avatar, but with coloured flashes going through it so I don't think I will be able to introduce henna unfortunately. Thanks so much though for responding and I am so envious of your hair :-)

Length
    9/20/25
    Type
    1a/1b/M/i/ii

Thank you lapushka. I will check out that book :-)

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Aloe vera gel (NOT the green kind for sunburn relief) or styling gel helps to reduce frizz until the wind hits it.

Length
    9/20/25
    Type
    1a/1b/M/i/ii

Thank you...I'll give it a whirl! Your hair is lovely!

Length
    cbone/waist/tbone
    Type
    3b/3c/M/iii

It's normal for grays to be a different texture than the rest of hair. The problem with frizz is that it's caused by curl patterns on individual hair strands — when they don't lay side-by-side, your hair looks frizzy. When folks have multiple curl patterns on their head, it can be difficult to manage frizz, because one pattern always wants to disrupt the side-by-sidedness of the other pattern.

One option is to make your own artificial pattern with a braidout. After your wash routine, dilute aloe vera in distilled water and dump it down your hair. Detangle and braid all the way down, then keep the braid in until your hair is 100% dry. Then unbraid to reveal your waves.

The aloe is a humectant and will hydrate your hair a little bit, but not enough to usually cause frizz. More importantly, the aloe works as a mild setting gel. That way it'll help keep your waves sitting in a uniform fashion for a bit longer without feeling too crunchy.

CBL » started locks June 2, 2011 » locks shrunk to CL » WL, 11" pony » goal: TBL
    Have questions about locked hair? Ask here — I'm happy to help.

Length
    15/36/45?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

I've had the same thing happen. My "sparkles" would stick up and be unruly! I thought, my gosh! If this keeps up, I'm going to scare small children when I'm completely gray! I'm going to be that old, long haired wild woman!

I keep it under control with henna and length.
    Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Length
    1 in/23 in/tbl
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

Does henna not color the grey? I have the same problem but do not wish to color at all. I love my silver.... Hate the way they stand up to get noticed lol. What about frizz serums?