Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Might've been wrong about my hair type - thoughts?

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Might've been wrong about my hair type - thoughts?

When I did a hair typing test the first time, it was almost a year ago when I was just barely growing out a short pixie. I'm not sure I did it 100% correctly. After some comments from Arctic on my henna thread (thanks Arctic!) I decided to give it an honest try again, especially now that it's longer. I could have been correct but I wanted to get input.

I used simple shampoo, no conditioner or product, no finger-combing or detangling, and let it sit annoyingly on my face to dry lol. It turned out much wavier than I expected! Very, very frizzy though especially on top and that's hiding some of the wave. I couldn't get a great photo from the side, if only hubby was home, but in front especially, at the bottom ends, there was some decent curl action going on. I think you can see it in this photo too?

So, any thoughts? After this photo, I sprayed some leave-in conditioner and raked my hands through gently and it got curlier. I've included a very old photo, from when I was about 18, because it's the last time my hair was very long and natural. I remember that day in particular (I have a freakishly good memory) I just scrunched it a little and let it air-dry, as I was trying to emphasize the wave.

EDIT: Seeing these photos together makes me realize that my henna results are turning out very much like the natural copper I had as a teen! *happy dance*
    Last edited by DizzyGinger; June 1st, 2016 at 03:54 PM.

MBL
    > Goal: Waist / Tailbone
    2b/fine/ii

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Might've been wrong about my hair type - thoughts?

Looks 2b, possibly 2b/c to me (if you have a few ringlets), as far as the length of it tells me anything. Wavy hair usually gets its final pattern when it's longer.

Of course you need "hairtyping" pics, that means left alone and not doing a thing to enhance the wave.
    Last edited by lapushka; June 1st, 2016 at 03:55 PM.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Mediocre Clarinet Player ExpectoPatronum's Avatar
    Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

I think you might be a 2b too! And like lapushka said, I wouldn't be surprised if it got a little wavier as it got longer.

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019
    Curly: SHDR.APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Stretched: APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Lady Andromeda, Keeper of Feathered Fauna, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    APL/WL/TBD
    Type
    2c/M/ii

2b, definitely!

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers, or you can grow weeds.
    Lady Scarlette, Traveler of the Road to Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Pixie/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Looks 2b, possibly 2b/c to me (if you have a few ringlets), as far as the length of it tells me anything. Wavy hair usually gets its final pattern when it's longer.

Of course you need "hairtyping" pics, that means left alone and not doing a thing to enhance the wave.
    Right, that's what I did. in the first photo

MBL
    > Goal: Waist / Tailbone
    2b/fine/ii

Length
    HL/TBL+/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Oh yes I'd say you're out of the 1s and into the 2s for sure 2b, maybe 2c? You do seem to have some spiral to that texture, not just S-wave, so even though it doesn't seem to be a tight wave the curlicue pattern may put you toward the c range... maybe?
    ▪daily washing▪monthly trimming▪top-down detangling▪sulfate shampoo down to the ends▪coney conditioner up to the roots▪henna and hibiscus▪worn down and loose on the regular▪

Length
    APL/MBL/CLS/S
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I would say 2c too, possibly you could with some styling get 3a but I tend to think that the true texture is the one that you have most often, not when you try hard to make your hair straighter/curlier, if that makes sense .

Also am I the only one who thinks the letters+number system is not very accurate - for example there are members who have looser curls than I do, but their curls go all the way up their length and there are many on a single strand of hair, so in fact their hair is basically curlier than mine, even though I have tighter curls. Sorry for going off topic.
    Last edited by LadyCelestina; June 2nd, 2016 at 03:15 AM. Reason: i never get the emoticon right

Length
    BSL/WL+/Clas
    Type
    2b/M/iii

2b definitely, and when your hair grows longer it will most likely get wavier.

Styling somehow doesn't seem to "enhance" my wurls, just gives them more definition and makes them last longer. :/

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I feel pretty definite about classifying you 2C. I see spirals starting, and they'll really spring by about APL to BSL, I predict.

But I agree with Lady Celestina that this classification system isn't that good, especially for people who have just about every possible type of hair springing from their heads. I've seen hairs straight as a plank and dark as the ace of spades shed out of my scalp and a few that were so tightly kinky that I had to look around to see if somebody else were standing over me to shed that hair.

I used to be visibly 2C but it seems that most of the curly strands shed out and never grew back, so now I'm barely 2A most days.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I think I'd call it 2c.

Mind you, it's pretty easy to comb out most of the wave and curl in 2c, so I don't blame you for thinking your hair was straightish and maybe fluffy or frizzy. That's a pretty common perception.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!