Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oils?

Length
    2/22/24/25

Default Oils?

I was wondering, what kinds of oils can be used to tame the frizz? What do you recommend?

Length
    Buzz/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Oils?

Not sure I'm the best person to respond because I don't get an awful lot of frizz but a BBB brushing or tiny tiny bit of coconut oil is usually enough for my hair.
    Virgin colour grown out ✅ Waist reached ✅
    Now heading towards hip!

Length
    Shldr/Waist/Tailb
    Type
    1a/F/iii

i find any of the lighter oils such as jojoba, rosehip and argan work great as leave-ins to tame frizz

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I think any oil can do the job of taming the frizz. Personally, I prefer light silicone serums or really light, runny, easy to spread oils without a noticeable smell for this: e.g. mineral oil or grapeseed oil, etc.
    You can make your own custom blends depending on smells you prefer, etc.

LOC (liquid/leave-in + oil + cream) is a great post-wash technique for taming frizz.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I prefer gels, or try and get an edge paste (you put a tiny bit on, and use a toothbrush to distribute it and lay those edges flat). Oils are not that great for edge control.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    2/22/24/25

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleKitty11 View Post
    i find any of the lighter oils such as jojoba, rosehip and argan work great as leave-ins to tame frizz
    How do you apply oil to your hair? Do you start at the roots, do you massage your scalp?

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I think it depends a lot on your hairtype. People with straightish hair like much lighter oils left in, it seems. Jojoba, sunflower, camellia, baby oil, things like that. People with curls often like heavier oils that are more prone to causing clumping -- olive comes to mind, and they often like to add gel to the mix. I see people with all textures using coconut oil -- it's a particularly hit-or-miss oil and I tend to think it's lighter, but it's notable for having been scientifically demonstrated to absorb into hair and prevent protein loss, so it's one that people frequently try early on and stick to if they like it.

Quote Originally Posted by M.McDonough View Post
    How do you apply oil to your hair? Do you start at the roots, do you massage your scalp?
    Not generally for frizz control, since you're not out to make your roots oily. I tend to smooth a few drops over my damp hair, after I take it out of the towel. Usually I'll concentrate on getting some at the ends.

That isn't to say that you can't do scalp massage with oils. Some people find it causes shedding, others find it encourages faster growth. Some feel like it helps get their dry form of sebum dissolved so it washes off better. But that's a different goal than frizz control.
    Last edited by Anje; April 29th, 2016 at 12:19 PM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    CBL/31/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

I like to use aloe gel, actually. I just dampen the hair, apply aloe gel, and use a BBB to smooth it out. The aloe gel does not make hair crunchy, and does not really "hold" the hair in place, but it seems to give it just enough hydration and stickyness to keep hairs happy next to their neighbors.
    Onwards.

26-BSL-28-29-WL-31-32-HL

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    SL/BSL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/F/i

Personally I don't think oils are great for frizz control. A leave-in conditioner works wonders for me.

Length
    18/25/28
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I Agree with Sarah, oils only coat and no benefit after minutes. I do regular condition and a Deep one eac h week and was most happy with Scientific Essentials Conditioner. My derm told me to use that one as its silicone and oil free and literally made ends of hair manageable and no frizz in any weather. A bit costly but worth it for me.

I also use a spray and will get the name of that as well- forget brand