Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightshade's 10 Year LHC Anniversary and AM(A)A

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Nightshade's 10 Year LHC Anniversary and AM(A)A

I had so much fun with this last year, and actually remembered my anniversary this year, so let's do it again! The history pictures are the same, but I have some new ones taken just for this thread at the end.

THE AM(A)A Portion:
    To make this more than another "oh, pretty!" thread, let's do an Ask Me (Almost) Anything You don't have to stick to hair-related topics, but nothing about things that are against LHC rules to ask me about.

Onto the hair bit!
    This was my hair back in 2005. I came to LHC from Henna4Hair and had just transitioned from chemical dyes to henna. My hair had been tailbone-length in my late teens, but it really went to hell in college because of me dying it so much. I had black streaks in it (which I miss to this day), but it had crumbled and snapped up to APL. It mended a bit on the henna forums and I'd grown out a fair bit of henna-only length, so by the time I came here, this was my first LHC photo:

A lot of my early LHC posts (for years) were about growing out the immense amounts of dye damage I had. It was a grueling, slow process. I was trimming 1/4 inch a month, so I gained 1/4 inch a month in length and steadily weeded out the damage.

Here's some of my early progress pictures. When I say the going was slow, I wasn't kidding:

I also had color issues. My new-penny copper red dye had sponged up into my hair so much it was dark burgundy, and when I first started henna it wasn't common knowledge that multiple applications darkened (which is part of why I say it so often on the fourms). My hair was healthier, but the color wasn't what I wanted, it was much too cool for my skin. I swapped out from 100% henna to a 35% henna 65% cassia and other herbs blend (a ratio I use to this day) and to roots-only applications. Which was great. For the roots. But I had a big color disparity.

'

But I wasn't sure I wanted to bleach my hair to make the ends match more, so I just dealt with it. In 2007 I got to my goal length of tailbone, and in 2009 FINALLY trimmed out the last of my horrible, damaged ends.

And had pretty (if not not a little darker than I wanted) hair for my wedding:

I even fixed the color. By using Sun-In I lightened up the length so it matched my roots, and for the first time in years I LOVED my hair.

And then I switched from birth control pills to an IUD and had the most massive, horrible shed. I lost a third of my hair, easily:

Which mean I, having JUST finished growing out ALL OF MY HAIR from damage, I had to do it again. (Continued next post)

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Nightshade's 10 Year LHC Anniversary and AM(A)A

But year before last I FINALLY did it, grew and cut out the last of my stupid shed. I love my color, I love my waves and I bounce around somewhere between fingertip and tailbone with no intent of really going longer:

And as of yesterday:

So that's where I'm at. And I'm not going anywhere. I love you guys.

Length
    32/40/FTL
    Type
    3a/M/C/ii

Oh Nightshade, you have such wonderful hair! Congratulations on your hairversary and on overcoming damage and sheds to get where you are today!

I can't think of any good questions to ask (still waking up, me), but I just want to say that you are a very special part of the longhair community and that I'm immensely glad you're not going anywhere.

TUTORIAL: How To Make Bead-Topped Metal Hair-Sticks At Home
    Looking for chipped/scratched/unloved Ficcares to mod! - Wishlist

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Hearty congratularions! You have been a huge inspiration to so many members here, and one of the people who makes LHC so awesome that people come back year after year!

And: oooh, shiny hair!

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    Pixie/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Nightshade, I adore your hair! It is perfect on you!

And, I love having you here on the forums.. I feel like you are one of the cornerstone type folks

Here is a question to kick it off... How are the bees???
    Pixie-Bob-Shoulder-CBL-APL-BSL-WL-HL-BCL-TBL 2019!

Lady Hester, Healer of the Platte and Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    28/39/44
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Your hair and your hair color are so beautiful! The difference in color from your wedding to the coppery red you have today is astonishing for henna. Congrats on your success
    MBL | WL | HL | TBL | HL | TBL | CLSSC(?)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Congrats on reaching more than a few milestones, and congrats on 10 years!!!
    Your growing out damage journey is *epic*.

WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

New growth is wild brickworld13's Avatar
    Length
    SHL/CL+/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Yay! How do you live with so many cats? (I know I asked you that yesterday anyway, but I think it would be interesting for everybody.) I thought 3 kitties was a death trap, but you have 6. Oh and another. How are those books coming along?
    The Harmonious Rachel, Songbird in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    SL/NL/BCL?
    Type
    1c/M/C/iii

Wow very nice! Love your beautiful waves. Chocolate or vanilla?
    (My Holy Grails Here) Shampoo + Conditioner + LOC method
    Chin > Neck > Shoulder > CBL > APL > BSL > WL > HL > TBL > Classic?

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I didn't know your hair backstory, so thanks for sharing it. You've been through a lot! Bummer about the shed.

My question: Why do you prefer henna/cassia over a henna gloss? In my mind, the cassia would fade in a few weeks, and you'd be left with henna anyway. Do you re-cassia the length? Does adding the cassia make the root color blend in better? Does the cassia "stick" better in your hair? I can't sort it out in my head. (Plus, henna glosses are a little cheaper.)

thanks,
    Susan

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.