Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Been awhile I need some hair help!

Length
    Buzz/Shagg/Waist

Default Been awhile I need some hair help!

I have no idea whats going on with my hair, since i had my baby six months ago its a disaster! I didnt have a massive shed (thank goodness!), but the texture is weird, its SO dry, the tips are crunchy. I just microtrimmed two weeks ago to get rid of the dry ends, and now the ends are dry again! I cant keep trimming or my hair will never grow. It just feels gross and looks bad to me. It also started tangling bad. I comb it before bed, then wake up to a tangled mess thats so hard to comb.

I dont get alot of time to care for my hair, at most my routine nowdays is shampoo once a week with whatever was on sale/cheap, condition every day/every other day depending on how lazy i'm feeling with suave brand.(its in a green bottle if that helps at all.) I put coconut oil on it daily after i get out of the shower. No heat at all. I just let it air dry.

I'm not sure whats going on with it or how to fix it. I'm planning to buy new shampoo/conditioner on friday just dont know what brand yet. HAS to be cheap, the dollar stuff hates my hair so thats right out, maybe under 7bucks for each? What else should I pick up to try to fix this disaster. My hair IS dyed, but i havent dyed it in like two months and this problem just started up last month.(around the same time my shedding stopped). I'd post a pic but my baby just crawled over and started headbutting me, she clearly doesnt get i'm having a hairmergency lol I'll try to come back and post one later!
    Proud mommy to Freyja 6-3-2015 and Loki 2-17-17! <3
    Currently at shoulder length, not sure how long i want it, so i'm just gonna let it grow till i decide its long enough!

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: Been awhile I need some hair help!

Well, since hair type changes are very common after pregnancy, I'd do a new hair typing. I would also clarify.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Yes, like Arctic mentioned: clarify! Then use a good thick moisturizing conditioner and detangle well during your wash.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

It could be the coconut oil also.

Length
    15/19.5/9999'
    Type
    2b/M/ii

x2 on the coconut oil. Fine when it's hot, but in the cold, it hardens.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Clarifying wouldn't hurt, if you haven't done that lately. Strong shampoo, lather all the way down to the tips of your hair. Maybe even do it twice.

If your green-bottle Suave conditioner is the Aloe & Waterlily, it shouldn't be causing protein problems, so I think we can rule that out. (I use the same stuff, and I get protein problems from the Suave coconut stuff -- I'm pretty sensitive!)

If that's not enough to fix it, I'll agree with the suggestions to swap out the coconut oil. Sometimes it just plain makes ends feel hard and crispy. Try something else. (Among grocery store oils, avocado and sunflower are good. Olive tends to be really heavy, but it does make my hair soft.)
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Buzz/Shagg/Waist

thanks ladies!

Guess it ended up not mattering cause i was trimming it with an electric razor having decided to take an inch or two off to get rid of damage and my 6 month old crawled in grabbed my ankle and startled me so bad I jumped and sheared my hair down to the scalp in one section XD Had to go bald to fix it...at least she laughed while i did it. (Lesson learned never assume they are asleep or cant sneak up on you!)
    Currently at shoulder length, not sure how long i want it, so i'm just gonna let it grow till i decide its long enough!

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I was going to chime in, but...

Bald is cute, too!
    You can wear lots of neat hats this winter.

It's good to "see" you again!

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Length
    Buzz/Shagg/Waist

it is! Though it was a shock and i had a hard time with it at first, i'm now LOVING it.(mostly cause now the baby cant pull on it anymore, and i dont have to brush it!) My poor husband was more then surprised when he saw it then laughed so hard at how it happened.

Length
    HL/TBL+/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Oh my! Well that's definitely a sure way to fix the problem you had, haha!!

Your attitude about it is awesome, keep smiling
    ▪daily washing▪monthly trimming▪top-down detangling▪sulfate shampoo down to the ends▪coney conditioner up to the roots▪henna and hibiscus▪worn down and loose on the regular▪