Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaving my head to start over!

Default Shaving my head to start over!

Okay so my hair is extremely damaged and I've been trying to grow it out for a couple years but it is so damaged that it is continuously breaking and I've been left with the same length after all this time. I'm starting to think I should do something so I've decided to shave my head and start fresh. I want to wear a human hair wig while it is in the middle of growing but I'm not really sure where to buy one. I look at some places like wigsbuy but they don't really show pictures of people wearing the wigs so I'm not sure to buy from there. I want really thick 20" dark brown human hair and a full lace cap but I just don't know what places sell wigs! If any one has any experience is this or knows the best places to go please help!

Default Re: Shaving my head to start over!

Whoa...please hold on for a bit and talk it out first

It may not call for such drastic measures!

If you can give us more info and maybe post a pic or two, the gals may have some helpful info for you so you can salvage some of it

Welcome to LHC; you'll find lots of support and inspiration here

I could try to I'm not really sure how to post a pic though lol😂

You can upload pics to a host site like http://s40.photobucket.com/, then copy/paste use the codes for each pic into your post.

hey! i did this 13 months ago, i have 5.5 inches of length now! it's a pretty wild style, but i rocked a wig for months 1-4, then a nice natural pixie, then a mullet which i put into pigtails and now i'm in flippy bob-like territory. it is a super scary (as an long hair lover i felt sooooo naked, exposed, not ugly but like i did not feel like "anyone's type") but it has also been so interesting to track and see it's shape and honestly a life changing and v fulfilling way to restart the process of growth. my step sisters have told me "your hair is still so short, it grows so slow" and i keep reminding them that going from a few inches will seem faster - starting at zero is a huge gap.

i got my wig at a store called "hair and wigs"... i liked looking at them IRL and asking questions. i only tried the one on but if i was really debating between up to 5 they would have let me see which i liked better.
    Last edited by TaterTot; November 26th, 2015 at 10:02 PM.
    Shaved head Nov 2014 - goal is terminal with zero scissors - a sanctuary for split ends!
    "It is the job that is never started that takes the longest to finish."

Length
    bald/58cm/100cm
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

If you have not already shaved your head, make sure to implement the two week rule! As Groovy Granny wisely said, your hair problems may not be bad enough to warrant shaving as the solution.

If you have already shaved or are set on doing it, then I will add my, "been there, done that" to TaterTot's. It does grow back! I am eight months in at the moment and while I definitely miss my long hair (often) I appreciate the fresh start shaving gave me and how healthy my new growth is.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

Depending on how long your hair currently is you could cut the damage off only (trim like 5 - 10 cm off your hemline, depending on how much damage you have of course) and continue with S&D to maintain the health and growth of your hair if you want it long and don't mind fairytale ends or keep trimming/dusting every month to maintain the health if you want blunt hemline. Try some conditioning treatments, wear hair in protective hairstyles and make sure to eat healthy to get all the nutrients you need and water and so on. I don't think shaving your head will magically solve the problem, your hair will still split and break as it grows and might start looking unhealthy again so I recommend you learn to take good/right care of your hair as every hair is different and likes different things.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I think it might be better to microtrim. Also, you haven't said how long your hair currently is. You might not have to shave it all. Please post a picture so we can see first, before undertaking such drastic measures. And coming on a long hair forum stating "I'm going to shave my head", for sure might not get you the best of reactions.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I think shaving your head is pretty drastic, too. How about pixie or bob? Deep treatments providing protein and moisture make hair look and behave a lot better, too, even if it is damaged. Regular trims will get rid of the damage.

Of course if you like dramatic changes, shaving may be right for you. I'd be so unhappy that I can't imagine.

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Ok, so

1) your hair was damaged
    2) you started to grow out the damage 2 years ago

Have you continued to do damaging things to your hair during this 2 years? If not, you should have 2 years worth of relatively healthy hair, that would be somewhere around shoulder length-ish (+/- depending on your growth rate).

If this is the case, and you have damaged hair beyond shoulder line(ish), then you could either cut the damaged areas off and rock a long bob, or do regular but smaller trims to get rid of the rest of the damage in a more slow manner.

The members here are quite wizards with all things hair, so if you'll post photos, and tell more about the type of damage you have, and your hair care routines, we might come up with nice solutions for you. I am almost certain you don't need to shave, unless you really want to do it for other reasons.
    Last edited by Arctic; November 27th, 2015 at 04:07 PM.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.