Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very low porosity hair

Length
    WL/TBL/FTL?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Very low porosity hair

Lately my hair seems to have gotten very very low porosity and a lot of slip. I don't know if very low porosity is a bad thing or not but the extra slip got a bit too much for me as I had to redo my nautilus bun about 6 times today because it kept falling and I'm afraid that this might give me some damage.
    My routine is as it follows:
    -using henna about once a month (I have been using it for a year and a half now with no ill effects but recently I passed to root only aplication as the colour got a bit too red and I prefer it to be in the copper range)
    -I use a sulfate shampoo and a cone conditioner
    Here are conditioner's ingredients
    http://s21.postimg.org/8vtja1rjb/15_...1_259_deco.jpg

And I recently found this conditioner that appears to be cone free:

How could I raise the porosity a little bit and make it a bit less slippery. I also noticed a bit more breakage since it became like this. Or, if there's no way to do this are there any better buns? I don't really fancy it being loose. Right now my hair is at hip length and the ponytail circumference is 8.5 cm

Edit: before starting actual hair care my hair was pretty much very porous and rather dry even though I was using the same shampoo but with another coney conditioner.
    Last edited by parkmikii; September 13th, 2015 at 09:13 AM.

Length
    ???/Calf/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Very low porosity hair

Low porosity means that there aren't very many chips and cracks in your cuticles through which you can lose moisture, so it's a good thing. It can be quite frustrating, though, when your hair's in such good condition that it won't hold styles. The only real way to increase its porosity is to do damaging things to it. Are you holding your nautilus up with a stick or anything? With a stick, my nautilus holds with no problems, but without one I would have to redo it at least every few hours, sometimes more. You could try learning the lazy wrap bun, that's a staple of many people here and that holds very well on me.

Switching to that cone-free conditioner might reduce your slip, but you should prepare to see some splits pop up without cones to mask them.

Length
    WL/TBL/FTL?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemia View Post
    Low porosity means that there aren't very many chips and cracks in your cuticles through which you can lose moisture, so it's a good thing. It can be quite frustrating, though, when your hair's in such good condition that it won't hold styles. The only real way to increase its porosity is to do damaging things to it. Are you holding your nautilus up with a stick or anything? With a stick, my nautilus holds with no problems, but without one I would have to redo it at least every few hours, sometimes more. You could try learning the lazy wrap bun, that's a staple of many people here and that holds very well on me.

Switching to that cone-free conditioner might reduce your slip, but you should prepare to see some splits pop up without cones to mask them.
    I am using an acrylic stick for the nautilus and I usually don't get too many split ends as I never heat style my hair and I have pretty much always kept it up. Thank you for the reply

Not a fan of labels. missblueeyes's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

You could try braided updos like a braided LWB or a Dutch pinless. They usually work for me when my hair is very slippery.
    Chin | APL | BSL | Waist | Hip | BCL | TBL

Length
    MBL/waist/clas
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I usually resort to a second stick in my nautilus buns if my hair is extra slippy or I really dont want it to fall down.

Length
    WL/TBL/FTL?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by missblueeyes View Post
    You could try braided updos like a braided LWB or a Dutch pinless. They usually work for me when my hair is very slippery.
    Thank you for the idea, I didn't really think about making them braided, I will try that tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by dogzdinner View Post
    I usually resort to a second stick in my nautilus buns if my hair is extra slippy or I really dont want it to fall down.
    Thing is that I don't really know how to insert the 2nd hairstick without it looking a bit weird so it doesn't really make it secure due to my lack of knowledge, but thank you

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

To get more grip, I'd recommend:
    - hair powders or dry shampoos;
    - more hydrolyzed proteins and things like panthenol (B5), cassia and other herbs, and other "volumizing" ingredients...
    - "volumizing" shampoos and conditioners;
    - avoiding cones;
    - maybe gels for extra grip (flaxseed gel, aloe vera, okra... if you want more natural options).

Here is a good article on moisturizing and conditioning low porosity hair: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca...sity-hair.html. Generally speaking, it tends to do well with film-forming humectants: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca...-they-are.html.

For styling, anything that involves braiding, especially at the base, along the scalp (French/Dutch/lace...) or accent braids will add more grip, because of the added "knobs" for the pins to grab onto.
    Check out Youtube for things like the Ellingwoman braided bun, Regency braided updo, interlaced dutch braids, crown braids, French braided tuck, the Masara/Antenna bun... they are all pretty grippy.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

That's odd, because using henna gave me high porosity hair, to the point where chemical dye applied over it just got slurped and soaked up into it (to the point where my light brown dye turned pitch black + chemical cut/burn).

I think texturizing sprays may help out. There's a really expensive one by Oribe on the market, but *oh* so many dupes for that. I think Garnier (Fructis) makes a decent texturizing spray.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I'm under the impression hair's natural porosity can't just suddenly change into low-porosity, how others feel about it? I think one's hairtype can sometimes change, but it would start growing from the roots, and the already grown, normal or high porosity hair can't just change into low-porosity type, because it's about hair's structure and not something that can be manipulated like that.

The other way around is possible, with damage for example, low porosity hair can become more porous (all the length, but it would still grow low porosity from the roots).

So this leads me to think that you have always had low porosity hair, but recently gotten rid of some kind of build-up or something, or that you have always had, say, normal porosity hair but recently have used or done something to make it more slippery. I think normal porosity hair too can be slippery.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
    I'm under the impression hair's natural porosity can't just suddenly change into low-porosity, how others feel about it? I think one's hairtype can sometimes change, but it would start growing from the roots, and the already grown, normal or high porosity hair can't just change into low-porosity type, because it's about hair's structure and not something that can be manipulated like that.

The other way around is possible, with damage for example, low porosity hair can become more porous (all the length, but it would still grow low porosity from the roots).

So this leads me to think that you have always had low porosity hair, but recently gotten rid of some kind of build-up or something, or that you have always had, say, normal porosity hair but recently have used or done something to make it more slippery. I think normal porosity hair too can be slippery.
    Makes a lot of sense to me!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)