Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So...What is the easiest and least damaging way to bun hair when spin pins just >>

Default So...What is the easiest and least damaging way to bun hair when spin pins just >>

don't work and you can't braid worth a darn. I just want to messy(ish) bun for the most part. Don't really like any of the intricate styles on myself.

Length
    14/30ish/35?
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default Re: So...What is the easiest and least damaging way to bun hair when spin pins just >

I've found that hair sticks are the best! I have APL hair so it takes me a couple tries to get my hair to stay, but a single hair stick does the trick for me. I bought an ebony JWL whirlwind (spiral) hairstick and was pleasantly surprised when I got another stick (this one being normal) as a gift! I've found that the regular stick one works just fine and I use it every day and have gone elastic free since. Plus, the feeling of taking the stick out and letting my hair loose is pretty unbeatable. Hope this helps.

Length
    BSL/Waist/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: So...What is the easiest and least damaging way to bun hair when spin pins just >

A cinnamon bun or nautilus bun held with a stick or fork is usually my go to for when I don't feel like fiddling with it. It's pretty easy to find information on how to do them though.

Though spin pins hold pretty well on cinammon buns for me. Are you sure you're catching scalp hair with them when you're inserting them? Also be sure that you're doing it from opposite sides of the bun as well. I know it took me a long time to figure out how to work them right.

Quote Originally Posted by synchrostatic View Post
    A cinnamon bun or nautilus bun held with a stick or fork is usually my go to for when I don't feel like fiddling with it. It's pretty easy to find information on how to do them though.

Though spin pins hold pretty well on cinammon buns for me. Are you sure you're catching scalp hair with them when you're inserting them? Also be sure that you're doing it from opposite sides of the bun as well. I know it took me a long time to figure out how to work them right.
    Yeah Im sure. I have like (............ ) this much hair on my head. So sad

Length
    shldr/shldr/?
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I don't like spin pins. I feel like they are ripping my hair but my hair is very fine. I use a simple hair fork (not too long) most of the time because forks hold better than sticks (my hair is very slippery). My favourite buns are a nautilus, cinnamon bun and lazy wrap bun. They are all really easy and fast to do but then again they aren't that messy if that's what you want.

Maybe try sock buns or scrunchies? They're both pretty easy to use

Type
    1a/F/i

I like the look of messy buns, but my hair refuse to stay up in them. I need a certain amount of tension to keep it contained, otherwise it just slides out.

Although I can get a somewhat messy bun to stay up with Ficcare max'es or Ficcarissimo's. These aren't likely to last the day though since it's difficult to balance them right and they end up pulling on something.

My friend's most impressive fourth ever braid on real hair a week after first learning, february-23.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

The key things here seem to be forgotten. How long and thick is your hair?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL+
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Ah, yes, I imagine length and thickness is quite an important thing to know!

If you want a messier bun, you could try doing a normal bun that people here tend to do (nautilus, disc, knot, lwb, etc.), leave the ends hanging out and then pin them around the bun to give it a messier look. Curling the hair (via a heat free method) would also help with the tousled-messy look. If your hair is long enough for those buns, at least, even if you have to do a sectioned bun.
    88 cm currently

BSL --> Hip --> BCL (100 cm) --> TBL --> Classic (124 cm)

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I can't get spin pins to work for me (OK, mine aren't that brand, but I've had them for ages and feel like my experiences indicate the new ones won't work either). They're good for a lot of folks, but not for everyone. I'm generally in the hairstick crowd.

Echoing "how long and thick is your hair?" questions, because that'll affect what you can and can't do. That said, this is my go-to bun and it works for a huge range of lengths from "able to wrap around once and have a little tail sticking up" to something longer than mine is now.

Also, work on the braiding. It helps to be able to whip one up quick, and "can't do them now" doesn't mean you'll be forever hopeless. Just start with braiding a ponytail.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!