Thread: Hello out there I'm Miss P

Length
    Pixie/Waist/...?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Red face Hello out there I'm Miss P

Hello,
    After lurking on the site for the past few weeks I've decided to join.
    Okay, not sure if I've done my hair typing correctly but I have dead flat (refuses to hold any styling without a can of hairspray), super fine, thin hair. From 13-18 I grew it long until it reached mid-back, but in the summer it was too hot (I live in Australia), I lost my temper and, well, chopped it off to shoulder length. Fast forward to 2014 and I get a pixie, then February this year I try to get a trim and end up with a layered inverted bob (not what I asked for). So now I'm growing it out again, striving for mid-back.
    So any tips or tricks to help a newbie?
    Thanks,
    Miss P

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Hello out there I'm Miss P

Yes, lots of patience and... well, follow the 2-week rule next time you want to do something impulsive. The 2-week rule means you think about the cut for this long before you're allowed to do something about the desire to cut. If at the end of the 2 weeks you still want to cut... by all means go for it, but I bet we'll have talked you out of cutting by then.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/Waist/...?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

If only I knew about this before! Oh well, at least my hair is really healthy now, it used to be really brittle and dry.

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Welcome! I've grown pixies and bobs out basically my whole life, haha.

Basically there are 2 ways you can go about.

1) let it grow with out trimming. This will give you length as fast as you are genetically able, but will also mean there will probably be layers, shaggyness, mullet and unevenness, and it might drive some people crazy. There will be lot of awkward lengths too.

2) regular trimming to keep hemline tidy. Will mean reaching your final goal slower, but - depending on your personality - might keep you sane. There will be less awkward stages. The trick is to trim as little as possible, so you are not trimming all your new monthly growth. (Except between pixie and bob, if one wants to avoid mullet, the nape needs to be trimmed quite a bit until sides and canopy will reach down to the same level.)

I have always went with option 2, it just suits my personality better. I enjoy having tidy hemline, and with regular trimming I get to enjoy my hair all the time, and not just in the distant future.

Good luck and happy growing!

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    Pixie/Waist/...?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

I think I'm going to go with option 2 because I can't stand the shaggy-ness and the mullet

Length
    24+/TBL/E=mc2
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Miss P View Post
    Okay, not sure if I've done my hair typing correctly but I have dead flat (refuses to hold any styling without a can of hairspray), super fine, thin hair. From 13-18 I grew it long until it reached mid-back, but in the summer it was too hot (I live in Australia), I lost my temper and, well, chopped it off to shoulder length.
    So any tips or tricks to help a newbie?
    Hiya, and welcome from a fellow Aussie. I find putting my longer hair up is a lot cooler than having it short and hot against my neck, so while you're growing it out, learn some cool updos so you're prepared. Then if you get the sh1ts, you can chuck a hairtoy (because hairtoys come with the updo territory) and save your length.
    Lady Soreil, Fey-Born Bard in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    ~spider silk fine, 4.5" pony circ.~

~Back from Tippy Fingers to the Buttzone, yet forever onwards through varied hues of Tawny Trails, towards ye Crystal Cascades~

Length
    Pixie/Waist/...?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Yeah I really wish I knew all this back then *regrets*. At least my hair is super healthy now, it used to be heaps brittle from overdying and overwashing. I'll invest in hairtoys once its long enough to properly put up, I can only make stubby little buns at the moment XD

Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome. I go with option two as well now, trying to bring my hair back to life after a bleach.

Length
    7.5/17/27
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Much like Arctic, I've had pixies and bobs much of my life. My whole childhood was chopping it off, growing it out, chopping it off again.
    I've grown out 2 pixies and 1 sharply angled bob as a teen/adult (I didn't care about the mullets as a kid, lol), and I highly recommend option two.
    True, just growing without trims will give you lots of length, but it feels like it actually takes longer to me. With frequent trims, it's kind of like getting a "new" style every month. It helped pass the time because I wasn't staring into a mirror, tugging on the mushroomy mullet, begging it to grow.

Length
    Pixie/Waist/...?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

LOL. My hair grows faster at the back for some reason so I really don't want to head into a mullet