Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • a) Leave it, it looks fine, keep growing and just S&D

50 39.68%
  • b) Microtrim for X months

25 19.84%
  • c) Cut off a short amount, and wait

29 23.02%
  • d) Make a big cut to the next layer up (to hip)

25 19.84%
  • e) Other

1 0.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To trim, or not to trim?

Length
    Chin/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Default To trim, or not to trim?

Hi!
    I feel so silly posting a thread like this
    I haven't had a trim for about a year and a half and my ends have fairytailed like crazy. On one hand I'm pleased because it's grown a lot and the end of hem reaches my tailbone, and I quite like my hair looking "natural" and not freshly trimmed. On the other, I feel my hair looks a bit more unkempt and not quite as nice down (not that I wear it down too often, but when I do I want it to look nice and not straggly). So I was giving thought to the idea of giving my ends a trim, so just wondering what you guys would do?
    The photos depict my hair after 7 days of not washing, and probably washing soon (so the worst it would look, but not necessarily unusual!). The ends are thin, but surprisingly not split (yet!).

a) Nothing, just keep growing and S&D
    b) Microtrim (only that I prefer to do scissorwork often because I've never done it before...) - monthly? quarterly? as needed?
    c) Cut off XX inches from the end?
    d) Cut all the way back to hip-BCL abyss, where my two bottom layers will be one? (the equivalent of cutting to the top of the white stripe in the first picture)
    e) Something else?

Hair gathered together :::::::::::::: Hair as it naturally falls :::::::::::::::: Hair as it naturally falls spread out

Hair from the front

Thanks for your time!
    ~APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL -TBL - Classic - Beyond~ Currently at 43 inches
    Lady Sitir, Keeper of the Cloud-Grazing Flock in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    YouTube:My Science Project|Hair Videos|Mental Health Videos

Length
    24/31/37
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Re: To trim, or not to trim?

What do YOU want? Do you like FTE or not? Do you want to get rid of layers or not? Do you want to change your hemline or not?

If you like your hair, and you have no damage, don't cut. If you don't like your hair the way it is now, trim. If your FTE are so annoying for you and you can handle to loose a lot of length all at once, go for it. Or you could just maintain for some months, or cut your length every other month.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

If it were me, I'd trim back to the next longest layer. But there is no right answer. Do what you think you'd like most.

Length
    36/BCL/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

your hair is gorgeous, healthy looking and thick regardless, Dreamsheep!

In my opinion it always comes down to how you feel when you look at it, it's important that you are happy with your hair. If it was me and i felt unhappy with the ends i'd trim a few inches but i am not a fan a fairytale ends on my hair, i prioritize blunter ends over length. Another thing to consider is the layers, they tend to make the ends look a bit thinner by contrast with the bulk if you know what i mean, you may not have any damage at all. Have you tried pampering the ends with a bit of oil? If you do decide to trim you could always take little bits at a time (starting with 0,5 inches or less for example) so that it eases you into it

“You are only afraid if you are not in harmony with yourself.” H. Hesse

Length
    CBL/WL/CL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

If it were me and I had no split ends I would not trim. Your hair looks very pretty in my opinion and not damaged or unhealthy. I would keep growing and trim as necessary. If you don't like the fairy tale ends, which I do, trim a small amount to a blunt hemline. I voted to leave it and s&d as needed.
    "Unable are the loved to die for love is immortality."
    -Emily Dickinson

Length
    17?/37/...
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

You have a gorgeous head of hair! I'm so indecisive, just lately which is not a typical thing for me.
    I guess I would only microtrim when you feel it really needs it and keep on growing.
    I can be decisive about this, I would not choose choice D.

After more thought, I'll go with choice A. Bet you're glad I made up my mind!!!
    Last edited by Komao; December 27th, 2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: NOW I CAN MAKE A DECISION!!!
    She foots it ever fair and young, Her locks are tied in haste,
    And one is o’er her shoulder flung, And hangs below her waist

Length
    Chin/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Johannah View Post
    What do YOU want? Do you like FTE or not? Do you want to get rid of layers or not? Do you want to change your hemline or not?

If you like your hair, and you have no damage, don't cut. If you don't like your hair the way it is now, trim. If your FTE are so annoying for you and you can handle to loose a lot of length all at once, go for it. Or you could just maintain for some months, or cut your length every other month.
    Thanks all for the detailed replies.
    I realise this question Johanna, is an important one I've neglected.

I don't feel blunt hemlines are me, and although I love my V-hemline, I think for "longer lengths", a U hemline would look more flattering, although I don't need to achieve it straight away. I feel my hair is relatively healthy (few split ends, and if there are any they do get snipped off), but I also want it to look it.

Maybe I'm answering my own question here...
    ~APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL -TBL - Classic - Beyond~ Currently at 43 inches
    Lady Sitir, Keeper of the Cloud-Grazing Flock in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    YouTube:My Science Project|Hair Videos|Mental Health Videos

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I would just leave it alone. S&D when necessary, and just keep on growin'!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/TBL/?
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I would either trim just a little bit to get closer U-shaped hemline or leave it be. Your hair looks beautiful the way it is right now but I personally prefer U-hemline and I also like to trim some regularly. End of the day it's really just up to you of course

Length
    24/31/37
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by DreamSheep View Post
    Thanks all for the detailed replies.
    I realise this question Johanna, is an important one I've neglected.

I don't feel blunt hemlines are me, and although I love my V-hemline, I think for "longer lengths", a U hemline would look more flattering, although I don't need to achieve it straight away. I feel my hair is relatively healthy (few split ends, and if there are any they do get snipped off), but I also want it to look it.

Maybe I'm answering my own question here...
    If this is what you want, you could maintain, cut off your growth every other month or do some regular trims (whatever suits you best) with feye's method. Since you already have a V-shape, you could use the blunt cut method to achieve a more U-shaped hemline.

Gorgeous hair, but I'm sure I already said that several times