Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I doomed to knots and tangles?

Default Am I doomed to knots and tangles?

So here's the deal. I have straight, fine, BSL-length hair. I've been looking forward so much to having long hair again, since it has been relatively short since 2010. But the problem is this: ever since I hit CBL, I have been dealing with tangles in my hair. It will get tangled anywhere from my ears down to my ends. I'm currently using Yes to Carrots shampoo and conditioner, with Kinky Curly Knot Today as a detangler/leave-in. I have a satin pillowcase, but I haven't been braiding my hair at night because the tangles make it so difficult to braid. I know I have some splits, but I don't think they are the root of the problem.

But here's the weird thing. I have had my hair long my whole life, most recently in 2010. That was pre-LHC, and I was using Pantene Pro-V shampoo/conditioner. Up until now, I have NEVER had this problem with tangles. Could it be as simple as the products I'm using?

I was planning on trying out Chagrin Valley shampoo bars, but if it will make these tangles go away, I'll go back to Pantene!

Thoughts?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Am I doomed to knots and tangles?

You need a good conditioner, or a deep conditioner, something that detangles well - preferably (but not necessarily) with silicones. The longer it gets, the more prone you are to tangling. Yes it can be as simple as the products you are using. Try going back to the Pantene, it's a good standard for lots of people.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

I wondered if it might be as simple as the lack of silicones in my conditioner. I know some people don't like cones; would I still be able to stretch washes while using them?

Length
    pixie/BSL/CL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Hi, leilan. I do think that Pantene may have given your hair more *slip* which can mean fewer tangles and knots. I am super prone to knots, too, and keep my hair up all the time. That seems to help.

Hi georgia_peach! The Kinky Curly Knot Today definitely has a ton of slip, but it dissipates after a few hours. I wonder if cones would stick around for longer. I still would like to use an organic conditioner, if possible. Do you know of any to recommend?

I'm working on wearing my hair up more, but my neck and ears get so cold! Plus, I just love wearing my long hair down.

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Definitely try something 'coney. Pantene is generally absolutley full of 'cones and some people's hair just loves that, especially at longer lengths. Don't buy into the myth that 'cones are going to ruin your hair - they certainly aren't for everyone, but there are many people for whom they work very well. If you're having tangle problems, you may be one of them.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Another vote for reintroducing cones!

Also, keep your hair moisturized with emollients, humectants and occlusives and maybe use a humidifier if the air is very dry where you live.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

I agree with going back to cones if they were working for you before. KCKT is a great detangler, but doesn't seem to be the best leave in for a lot of people.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by leilan View Post
    So here's the deal. I have straight, fine, BSL-length hair. I've been looking forward so much to having long hair again, since it has been relatively short since 2010. But the problem is this: ever since I hit CBL, I have been dealing with tangles in my hair. It will get tangled anywhere from my ears down to my ends. I'm currently using Yes to Carrots shampoo and conditioner, with Kinky Curly Knot Today as a detangler/leave-in. I have a satin pillowcase, but I haven't been braiding my hair at night because the tangles make it so difficult to braid. I know I have some splits, but I don't think they are the root of the problem.

But here's the weird thing. I have had my hair long my whole life, most recently in 2010. That was pre-LHC, and I was using Pantene Pro-V shampoo/conditioner. Up until now, I have NEVER had this problem with tangles. Could it be as simple as the products I'm using?

I was planning on trying out Chagrin Valley shampoo bars, but if it will make these tangles go away, I'll go back to Pantene!

Thoughts?
    Sounds to me its the products you are using that are causing the tangling issues. The more buildup on your hair, the greater the probability of trouble with tangles.

So, to return to "Square One" with your hair, try clarifying it with a clarifying shampoo, such as Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying shampoo. This product strips your hair of every last vestige of buildup, leaving it feeling and looking like hay, which is exactly what it is meant to do. After rinsing out the Neutrogena, follow immediately with a deep conditioning treatment. The dct restores your hair to its former self (before buildup).

Your next task is to find a gentle shampoo and a gentle conditioner (not a two in one product). You might try diluting both with a little bit of water.

Try and avoid putting anything else on your hair for another two weeks. This allows you enough time to assess the effectiveness (or not) of the shampoo and conditioner on your mane.

In the meantime, head those tangles off at the pass by wearing your hair UP...and also detangling that hair BEFORE you put it up. Half the battle of having beautiful, healthy, long hair is how you detangle it. You can use the richest shampoos and conditioners, put tons of product on it, but if you don't detangle the right way, and use your wide tooth comb correctly, everything else you do for your hair is wasted effort.

Detangling tips (based on 40+ years of experience):
    it is best to use a wide tooth comb for detangling. As for the type (wood or horn) that depends. You cannot get wood wet w/o hurting the comb. If you drop a horn comb, there is a chance of it getting hurt (chipped or broken entirely).
    The detangling process is one of gentle steps:
    1) finger comb your hair first. Do it slowly
    2) Take SMALL, THIN section of hair. About pinkie size. Start at the ends and slowly comb up the strands, little by little, until you reach the roots.
    3) Use a small one piece clip (or a scrunchie) to keep the detangled hair separate from the undetangled hair.
    4) Take another SMALL, THIN section of hair and do as before
    5) Work you way around your head in this fashion. (Actually, it is easier to do if you first make a center part and divide your hair in two sections. Detangle all the hair on the right and confine it. Repeat for hair on the left.
    Now you may think this is way too much effort and time consuming. If you want to have beautiful, healthy hair, you must TAKE THE TIME. Small, fine sections let you do a more thorough "search" of the strands.
    6) Don't have the grip of death on your comb! you are not fighting your hair! Hold your comb gently and lightly, as if you were holding a living bird in your hand and you were afraid to crush it.

7) When you are detangling, go SLOWLY! If you feel a tangle, STOP IMMEDIATELY! Isolate the tangle and take it apart with your fingers (hold the tangle horizontally and take it apart with your fingers). If you hold the tangle vertically, it just tightens the tangle and makes it about impossible to save

How to detangle in the shower:

As far as detangling in the shower I always part my hair in two sections before getting it wet..and try and keep those 2 sectioms separate throughout the entire process. Not always successful, but I've found that the more you can control your hair, the less the chance for tangles.

As for the actual detangling itself, just be sure your hair is full of conditioner. Oh, you might want to fill the tub/shower with warm/hot water so you're not standing there freezing your tootsies off! Detangling properly takes time!

Now, working on one side of the hair at a time, take a SMALL, pencil sized thin section of your hair, and gently work up it, from the ends to the scalp.

Take another section of hair and do the same.

To keep the detangled sections free from the undetangled sections, tie with a scrunchie.
    Continue to detangle until half of the hair has been detangled. Band all the detangled hair together with a scrunchie.

Length
    18/31/48
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I definitely agree that cones will help add the extra slip you need. I was also wondering if you wear collared shirts and how your hair is done on a daily basis.

Your hair rubbing against the fabric of a collared shirt may cause the tangles if you wear your hair down (which is where cones will help keep the tangling down), so if cones aren't for you maybe keeping your hair in a protective style will reduce the amount of tangles and be an easier solution than changing your routine.