Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get more life in long hair

Default How to get more life in long hair

Hello everyone

My hair is now at hip length with a straight hemline. It's very healthy but looks a bit dull without any volume. I wonder if long layers would make it look it look nicer but I'm worried it will get even more thinner in the ends. The ends are quiet thin, because I lost about 1/3 of my hair 2 years ago so I'm very cautious. I also think maybe trimming the ends a bit may help. Has any of you ever had very long even hair cut in layers? And did you like the results

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: How to get more life in long hair

Yes I did, but my hair is thick. I liked long layers for about 10 years. Now I like blunt cut because the ends look less ragged.

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Hmm...I'm not sure how thick overall your hair is, or how straight it is, but layers at long lengths can be somewhat frustrating if you aren't sure you really want them. I would say it really depends. Do you do a lot of braided updos? A lot of hairstyles that need to be flat and smooth to work? I have accidental layers from my big chop a few years ago (and am just past hip length) and find it makes some updos really frustrating to do.

Does your hair hold a curl at all? You may like waves or heatless curls to help add some body to your hair.

I'd say, give it two weeks or so before you make a choice to cut in layers.

Length
    waist/TB/long

Maybe you would like your ends better if you cut them into a U shape instead of straight across. It would give a different look and feel, and maybe be enough change to make you feel better about your hair. Layers cut into thin-ish hair are just going to make the ends thinner. I doubt that you would be happy with that.

Length
    HL/TBL/IDK
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

A few months ago I cut some long layers into may hair. My ponytail is on the thinner side but the hemline didnt suffer.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoAngel View Post
    Hello everyone

My hair is now at hip length with a straight hemline. It's very healthy but looks a bit dull without any volume. I wonder if long layers would make it look it look nicer but I'm worried it will get even more thinner in the ends. The ends are quiet thin, because I lost about 1/3 of my hair 2 years ago so I'm very cautious. I also think maybe trimming the ends a bit may help. Has any of you ever had very long even hair cut in layers? And did you like the results
    My signature? Layers; all over (wolf cut, if that rings any bells). I mean I come from written stuff (books) and long before this became a "wolf cut" it was named a compact cut in "Haircutting for dummies". I don't bother going to a "snipper" (hairdresser) because they are scissor happy a lot of the time when faced with long hair. Just what I see happening around me a lot with hair dressers in my country.

If you have thick enough hair (like iii), then layers? Fine. But if it's average thickness, or less? I would not risk it.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/FTL/TERM
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

If you already have a straight hemline and want volume, try heatless waves first, or experiment with different hair styles before you pick up the scissors.
    Last edited by tuanyiji; September 15th, 2023 at 10:59 PM.
    107cm 1b/C/10.2cm Fingercomb/Bun/Water-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][Fun with Flowers][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Sleeping with a bun or braid ontop of your hair can give volume, when you take it down in the morning.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    BSL/clas/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Make a french braid with damp or wet hair and sleep on it. Volume in the morning!

Length
    2"/TBL/???
    Type
    4c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lunalocks View Post
    Make a french braid with damp or wet hair and sleep on it. Volume in the morning!
    This is the way.
    Although my hair has volume, it lacks any regular pattern, so I give it a wave pattern using braidwaves or twist-outs, it's the best technique
    Started: 13/11/2014.Elapsed
    MBL :: WAIST :: abyss :: hip:: TBL :: class
    Lady Sarah of the Invisible Warlands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights