Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are headbands bad for your hair?

Length
    APL/APL/TBL!
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Default Are headbands bad for your hair?

My hair isn't all that long right now. And I absolutely LOVE my headbands. I wear them all the time, meaning around three times a week. :P Is this damaging my hair, though? :/ Advice would be much appreciated.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: Are headbands bad for your hair?

If the headband doesn't have any "snaggy" feel to it, and is not too tight, then I think it would be all right.

Metal and plastic headbands are another thing entirely.

Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Depends on the type of band and if its a good fit,i never wear them now as i always find they make my roots feel tender and bruised when i move my hair about after wearing one.

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

I think they could be if they're used continuously... that's putting stress on your crown hairs over and over again. If it's a stretchy, plush-like material, I think it's better but as Madora said, nothing that can snag!

Length
    SL/NL/BCL?
    Type
    1c/M/C/iii

I love headbands! I I try to look for those satin-y ones. The downside is that they slide right out very easily and it's hard to hold my thick hair in place. Ever since I joined LHC I avoid those that grip my hair too much, unless it's for special occasions

As long as they're gentle on your hair, I don't think wearing them 3x a week will do much harm. But like we always say, let your hair/scalp tell you
    (My Holy Grails Here) Shampoo + Conditioner + LOC method
    Chin > Neck > Shoulder > CBL > APL > BSL > WL > HL > TBL > Classic?

Estas mi Esperantist' languagenut's Avatar
    Length
    baby/bcl/dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I cannot stand those metal headbands that squeeze my head. Otherwise, I like non-metallic headbands, and I don't think they damage one's hair. If they do at all, they're surely at the low end of the spectrum, as hair accessories go.

Length
    pixie/clsc/term
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by khryz View Post
    I love headbands! I I try to look for those satin-y ones. The downside is that they slide right out very easily and it's hard to hold my thick hair in place. Ever since I joined LHC I avoid those that grip my hair too much, unless it's for special occasions
    I have super slippery hair, so most non-grippy headbands won't stay on my head on their own. However, I've found that clipping them to my hair with snap clips or bobby pins behind each ear and at the nape of my neck keeps them in place, and I haven't noticed any damage from wearing them like this several times a week.
    Lady Pyracantha, Firethorn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    chin ~ shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ waist ~ hip ~ TBL ~ classic ~ FTL ~ knee ~ term
    I like big buns and I cannot lie

Length
    SL/CBL/???
    Type
    3c/F/M/i

Over time, they can cause thinning at the hairline because they put stress on the hair there. It happened to me a few years ago when I wore (fabric) headbands everyday. Now, I only wear them when I need them.
    Last edited by Daydreamer.; January 22nd, 2016 at 01:01 AM.

Length
    27/57/???
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

As long as they're not snaggy (see above), I think the only issue is that it's good to rotate your styles so as not always to stress the same hairs. If it's only three times a week, you're still spending at least 50% of your time with other hairstyles, so it seems like it ought to be safe enough.

I never noticed damage when I wore them often to contain my fringe as it grew out.

I always pushed it forward after placing it to add fluff and release any tension at the hairline.

I used the thin satin covered plastic because I have a sensitive scalp.

They are rarely used now because my hair is long and heavier, but when I do .....I use the same method.... but must use 2 together to hold.

The pin is a good tip.....I also use silicone elastics on the ends to avoid slipping.