Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blunt cut vs "wispy" ends from s&d (newbie needs help!)

Default Blunt cut vs "wispy" ends from s&d (newbie needs help!)

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and really need some advice. I have 30 inch long hair that has about 9cm of natural virgin hair and the rest of the length has been previously highlighted, box dyed, hot blow dried on the occasion and heat styled 5-7 times in 2013 (thrashed I know) I have search and destroyed the majority of my hair and can say it is in much better condition now and my 2014 resolution was no dye, heat styling etc and no damaging hair ties only scunchies etc I have switched to a sulfate free / silicone free shampoo and conditioner and oil with coconut oil I also now sleep in a silk sleep cap all with excellent results however my concern at the moment is my ends are fairly wispy and thin yet they look healthy I'm just worried that because they aren't in a blunt cut and protected by the bulk of my hair if that makes any sense that they are more likely to get damaged? I also am struggling with flyaway a that are actually broken or snapped hairs which are taking away from the potential thickness of my hair so my two questions are:

Should I a) continue with s&d missions or b) get an inch off and have a blunt cut and also continue s&d

and then my other question should I get a longer layer to help grow the damage that isn't on my ends?

(I eventually want to get to 38 inches and thicken my ends so a blunt cut in the end)
    help me please!

Length
    17/47/--
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Blunt cut vs "wispy" ends from s&d (newbie needs help!)

Do you wear your hair up or down? I have my hair up, and wispy ends tend to stay in my updos better, and so are better protected by the bulk of my hair than a blunt cut that keeps escaping.
    If you wear it down, then, it's about even, because it's still going to get more damaged from friction more than anything. I think the friction would probably be about the same regardless of how much hair there was, because if they're not rubbing against something, itheyre rubbing against each other.
    Lady Tigereye, Keeper of the Striped Shadows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

That is a personal choice, many get to ultra long lengths (knee to floor) with what are known here as 'fairytale ends'. (whispy). An inch is nothing in the grand scheme of things, it's only about two months of growth so if you prefer blunt ends and it's damage you would have to lose anyway go for it.

Flyaway are normal they may simply be new growth since all hair will not be in the same growth cycle at any given moment. You can know if they are breakage or hairs that were ripped out at the roots in bulk if they are focused in one area (mine were more on one side, and at the back where my ponytail sat for example).

Oiling is great but do consider other ingredients for patch repairing and strengthening like hydrolysed protein. Many who eliminate silicones fail because they don't adequately substitute for its properties.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

If you've got so much damage that your ends are wispy (ie, most of the ends are split), it's time for a trim rather than s&d. Not that blunt cuts are more protective, but because damage breeds more damage.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Tearna-Maree View Post
    (...) however my concern at the moment is my ends are fairly wispy and thin yet they look healthy I'm just worried that because they aren't in a blunt cut and protected by the bulk of my hair if that makes any sense that they are more likely to get damaged? I also am struggling with flyaway a that are actually broken or snapped hairs which are taking away from the potential thickness of my hair so my two questions are:

Should I a) continue with s&d missions or b) get an inch off and have a blunt cut and also continue s&d

and then my other question should I get a longer layer to help grow the damage that isn't on my ends?
    If you've got no damage (you did S&D), then there's absolutely no reason to trim. It's nonsense that hair gets more damaged when the ends aren't blunt cut. I have layers, and I don't notice more damage because of it.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2b/M/iii

It is easier to S and D ends that are all one length, so I'd go for a blunt cut. If this is too much for you, then just trim what you have slightly. I would not cut layers again. To protect your hair, wear it up. Good luck!

Length
    14"/BSL/30"
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I agree with option "B". I think that would be the most helpful option for both the health of your hair and the appearance.
    Jaw - Chin - SL - CBL - APL - BSL - MBL - Waist
    2b M ii
    Forever Trimming by the Moon.

has notorious buns Wildcat Diva's Avatar
    some kind of hunting lodge for rich weirdos
    Length
    16/35/real
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

How ARE your ends? You say wispy, but I am not sure if you mean like fairy-tailed (different lengths from natural variations in growth) or are they actually damaged with splits and white dots, bent ends, etc. Can you let us know? If it was me, I'd grow past to a milestone goal, wait a couple of months, then get a blunt cut trim. But then I wear my hair up most of the time. Do you enjoy wearing your hair up to protect it?

ETA: since you want to grow to 38 inches, that's a while of growing ahead. If it was me, I would grow about five inches (most of 2014?) and then have a good half inch to one inch off). Then you can grow the rest of the way. But this might depend on how you want to wear your hair this year, mostly up or mostly down.
    Last edited by Wildcat Diva; January 13th, 2014 at 09:02 AM.

Length
    15/23/32
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

My ends are blunt. I think they look healthier and thicker that way, neater too. Plus I have brow length bangs and I feel blunt ends look better with bangs. I wear my hair down, btw.

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

I love my layered ends. I don't that I believe blunt cuts mean less damage. My tangles are often nowhere near the ends anyway.
    Change is the only constant.