Thread: Resurrecting old and inactive posts?

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Default Resurrecting old and inactive posts?

Lately I've noticed a lot of really old posts being answered, many of the OPs or folks answering prior to recently haven't been seen in forever which imho makes them semi-useless. Is there a simple way to maybe deactivate them so they're still around to read but not answer?

Maybe I'm being obnoxious, but it's one of those things. And I am obnoxious, I admit it, but it's also ... one of those things. Of course if I'm the only loony annoyed by this, feel free to ignore. Most people do.

Thanks. And while I apparently keep getting in trouble for my cranky old mouth, I do love this place and have learned a bunch, so don't set me on fire unless you give me a cookie first.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Resurrecting old and inactive posts?

Sometimes what happened is a spammer managed to get past our filters, found a thread vaguely related to the snake oil they want to sell and posted there, it got spotted, reported, removed, and then the next person who comes along can’t see that removed post, and how many people look at the dates of the OP before posting? Hello long-running threads!

And don’t ask us to leave some sort of trace of the spam post, the spam ban hammer is a sweet one shot tool that without would make the task take a significant amount of time.

Then, you have the poor newbies who start threads only to be told they should have found an old thread and posted there. There is simply no pleasing everyone.

A quick, “the OP may not be around anymore” is sufficient.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I also get annoyed, sometimes, it sorta depends on the thread getting resurfaced. Sometimes the general message is a great one and the thread actually "deserves" to live on, because hello: useful knowledge and why bother making a new thread for it, right? But other times it is a very specific question, problem has long been resolved, or poster has long gone, and then my antennas go bonkers LOL But hey, you know like neko said, a quick, OP is long gone, or question has long been resolved, should do (and then you can internally fret ).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Thanks, both of you. I appreciate the sensible (and humorous!) solutions.