Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has Your Hair Ever Fallen Out due to Chemical Straightening / Perming?

Default Has Your Hair Ever Fallen Out due to Chemical Straightening / Perming?

Has Your Hair Ever Fallen Out from the root due to Chemical Straightening / Perming?

For those of us going through Telogen Effluvium due to chemical procedures, it would be great to hear recovery stories.

I've lost over 50% of my hair to a keratin straightening treatment and it is still falling out. Dermatologist says there is no scarring and it will grow back.

My question is: Once you'd lost hair from an area - how long was it until you could see new hair growing?

People usually say - "Oh my hair took years to grow back!" But I'm not asking how long it took to grow it long.

Just how long until that moment where you first realised a thinning patch was filling in?

Also, again, specifically from those who lost hair from a chemical procedure: How long until your hair stopped shedding?

Thank you so much everyone in advance. You are part of the best hair community in the world as far as I'm concerned!
    Last edited by Suzysu; November 7th, 2015 at 10:55 AM.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Has Your Hair Ever Fallen Out due to Chemical Straightening / Perming?

No but I got a chemical cut & burn once after henna, bleach, bleach, chemical dye and chemical dye. Kind of a "the last straw" thing, I guess. I had BSL hair and it just fell out (burn) and came out in clumps both from the root and lower down (chemical cut). I had to have it cut back to chin length.

I said enough is enough after that and went all natural/virgin. I am classic length now and happy as can be (it grew back, but took a looong time). That's why it took me 10 years to get to classic, I guess.

I can't remember when the shedding stopped exactly. A lot came out all at once, so most of it was gone in one go.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Default Re: Has Your Hair Ever Fallen Out due to Chemical Straightening / Perming?

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    No but I got a chemical cut & burn once after henna, bleach, bleach, chemical dye and chemical dye. Kind of a "the last straw" thing, I guess. I had BSL hair and it just fell out (burn) and came out in clumps both from the root and lower down (chemical cut). I had to have it cut back to chin length.

I said enough is enough after that and went all natural/virgin. I am classic length now and happy as can be (it grew back, but took a looong time). That's why it took me 10 years to get to classic, I guess.

I can't remember when the shedding stopped exactly. A lot came out all at once, so most of it was gone in one go.
    Thanks for this. Sorry, you didn't say how long after the hair fell out you experienced new growth? When the first hairs started growing back.

Everyone always says it took years to grow it back, as you have done - saying it took you 10 years to get to classic. I'm not worried about that as I don't want classic length hair so that doesn't bother me at all.

Maybe someone will just tell me how long it takes to get the first regrowth - the first few millimetres of hair?
    Last edited by Suzysu; November 7th, 2015 at 11:36 AM.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I can't tell you precisely when my hair began growing back (after a stress related shed in March 2013) but I can say that I first noticed new hairs in October 2013 and they were about 3-4 inches long. So my guess is that they must have begun regrowing pretty much immediately, to reach that length when I first noticed them.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Suzysu View Post
    Maybe someone will just tell me how long it takes to get the first regrowth - the first few millimetres of hair?
    I think it was about a month's worth of patience before the first stubble hit.

Well, that's brilliant news - how reassuring, thank you.

As long as it starts growing I'm happy.

Wow. So, it's actually taken just two years for those inches to get as long as they are now? Your hair is very thick and full now!

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Double post.............
    Last edited by Sarahlabyrinth; November 7th, 2015 at 12:52 PM.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

No - those hairs are not yet at full length, that will take years more. It's just that now they blend in with the rest of my hair and so are no longer noticeable.

The hairdresser told me a couple of weeks ago that those hair could take another three years to reach my current hemline and fill it in nice and thickly. I'm not too worried, I know it will get there in the end. Hair growing is a long term project, no?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    The hairdresser told me a couple of weeks ago that those hair could take another three years to reach my current hemline and fill it in nice and thickly. I'm not too worried, I know it will get there in the end. Hair growing is a long term project, no?
    Yes, it is long term. But I remember how *I* was when I first got here, very impatient and eager for change *now*. It takes time to learn patience, no kidding!