Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to handle the heat?

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default How to handle the heat?

My hair is shoulder length and quite thick. With the high temps, comes a lot of scalp issues. any sweating or even washing my hair when its hot, makes my SD flair up. I then itch it until it bleeds then its sore and icky so I have to wash it often which mean more wetness against my scalp to further irritate my SD.

How do those of you with thick hair deal with the heat? Even if SD wasn't a issue I hate having constanly damp hair in the summer, it feels gross and I overheat way too easy. I usually chop my hair in the summer and was hoping I could deal with the heat this year but we are having temps way higher then normal. I'm probably going to go with a long pixie or something similar. I really wish I could have long hair but I'm beginning to give up on the idea.

Length
    Pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: How to handle the heat?

Do you have a blow dryer with variable temperature? (I got one at Walmart for $25, just make sure it has two different switches on the handle.) It might not work when you're out at work/school/whatever obviously but you could put it on the lowest temperature setting (if it's comfortable to the skin, it's safe for the hair) or tape down the Cool button on any old dryer and dry your scalp every so often when you're at home, especially after washing the hair. I'm sure the other SD sufferers will be around to offer other suggestions, too, but that's the first thing that comes to my mind if the damp triggers a flare-up.
    Nique ~ Journeying from pixie in 2011 to who knows where

Pixie ~ Shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ BCL ~ Tailbone ~ Classic ~ Fingertip ~ Knee?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    How do those of you with thick hair deal with the heat? Even if SD wasn't a issue I hate having constanly damp hair in the summer, it feels gross and I overheat way too easy. I usually chop my hair in the summer and was hoping I could deal with the heat this year but we are having temps way higher then normal. I'm probably going to go with a long pixie or something similar. I really wish I could have long hair but I'm beginning to give up on the idea.
    I weekly wash with a harsh sulfate shampoo and do WCC (my washing/styling methods are in my signature). I double condition to combat the harshness. Then I keep my hair in a towel for 15-20 min., then airdry for about an hour, and diffuse for 4 min. or thereabouts. It makes my hair dry at the roots, but it can still be damp at the ends (they don't matter, as long as the roots are dry). This is what works for me, and I have very thick hair.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Wow lapushka, your hair dries fast. I can air dry for 2-3 hours, then blow dry on high heat for 5+ minutes and my hair is still wet at the roots. Maybe I just suck at blow drying but its never done any good for me.
    I've been using the box fan to try and keep things dry/cool for the last few days. It helps a little but my poor scalp is so sore right now it feels sun burned. I gave in and went and got a hair cut, its not quite a pixie and is in serious need of a professional shaping (mom cut it) but it feels so much better and my skin can breath.
    As much as I love long hair, I love not being in pain even more. I'll have to live vicariously through you all.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Obsidian, that is odd that it won't dry you know... normally. It should dry by that time, I think. Do you use the blow dryer on cool or warm, because if you use cool that might be the reason. I use warm (but not so hot that it burns my skin), and that's perfectly fine to do.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

SD here, too. The answer - medicated shampoo.

I feel I'd be more uncomfortable in the heat if I got a haircut because then I wouldn't be able to get my hair completely off my neck. As it is, I can do a number of up-styles that keep me comfortable. I also know how to blow-dry on warm to my scalp if I want to dry it fast. Sectioning helps, although I don't always bother.

Enjoy your haircut!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Yes, Nizoral 2% is the only thing that works for me when I have flare-ups! And I've tried pretty much everything!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

My main method of dealing with heat is retreating to air conditioning! XD

This Wisconsin girl just does NOT like hot weather.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    2a/F/i

Medicated shampoo! I've been needing it a lot more now that it's warm and humid. Knowing lots of easy updos that look nice helps too, so I can whip it up fast and get it off my neck and back! I think I'm far more comfortable this year now that I can get it all up than I ever was when I would cut to my shoulders for summer.

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Length
    BSL/Hip/?
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

I grew up in tropics not far from the equator. I usually water wash daily and hair air dries within the hour. If the day is extremely hot and or I've been very physically active I'll have 2/3 showers that day rinsing hair each time.
    Kay , BSL > MBL > Waist > Hip