Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I Get the Wrong Boar Bristle Brush?

Crotchety Pastry GrowlingCupcake's Avatar
    Length
    15/21.5/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Did I Get the Wrong Boar Bristle Brush?

I bought a boar bristle brush from Ulta a bit ago. It's nice but it doesn't get through all the layers of my hair - and my hair isn't even thick - unless I sort of rub it in first. I've been brushing my hair with a regular brush to get rid of tangles, and then with this to try to spread the oil better.

Did I mess up and get the wrong brush or am I just too used to plastic-bristled brushes?

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Did I Get the Wrong Boar Bristle Brush?

Boar bristle brushes only really brush through the top layer of my hair so I have to section it a lot to use it. I think it's pretty normal. These days I use a wood comb to distribute oil and my BBB just smooths hair for updos and such. I could still use the BBB to distribute oil, but the wood comb works quite well.
    CBL~APL~BSL~MBL~WAIST~HIP~TBL

Length
    15/21.5/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Well, that explains it. I've been sectioning my hair when I brush it with the BBB but I thought it was because I was doing something wrong or got the wrong one.

I may have to look into a wooden comb at some point.

Thanks!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

BBBs, especially if you have thicker hair (like iii), are known for not getting through to the scalp. That is why I have a mixed BBB with nylon pins. It doesn't get through totally either, but it's better. I have long ago put away my BBB, because I have textured hair and it kills the wave pattern for me.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

There are stiffer and softer boar bristles. I have a brush from each end of the spectrum, I think. I don't favor them except for spreading oil because they cause a lot of static.

You can push your hand against the bristles of the brush, sandwiching the hair between the brush and your hand. This ensures penetration of the bristles.

Length
    15/21.5/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    BBBs, especially if you have thicker hair (like iii), are known for not getting through to the scalp. That is why I have a mixed BBB with nylon pins. It doesn't get through totally either, but it's better. I have long ago put away my BBB, because I have textured hair and it kills the wave pattern for me.
    I may have to try the mixed one at some point. Brushing pretty much removes the wave pattern for me though it comes back if I just leave it down for a bit - great for looking stringy, and a hot mess when you're out! -, but I always have it bunned, braided or in a pony tail.

What would you recommend for spreading oil other than the mixed one?

Length
    15/21.5/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    There are stiffer and softer boar bristles. I have a brush from each end of the spectrum, I think. I don't favor them except for spreading oil because they cause a lot of static.

You can push your hand against the bristles of the brush, sandwiching the hair between the brush and your hand. This ensures penetration of the bristles.
    I haven't noticed the static yet, but my hair is static-y quite often. I'll try the hand thing since right now I'm wiggling it onto my scalp which is more than a little pokey.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by GrowlingCupcake View Post
    I may have to try the mixed one at some point. Brushing pretty much removes the wave pattern for me though it comes back if I just leave it down for a bit - great for looking stringy, and a hot mess when you're out! -, but I always have it bunned, braided or in a pony tail.

What would you recommend for spreading oil other than the mixed one?
    I stopped "spreading the oil", as it got my hair more oily, and exacerbated my SD (seborrheic dermatitis). So a BBB is not good for me. I don't know if there are any other brushes who do as good a job as BBBs where spreading oil is concerned.

I use a Tangle Teezer, myself, and a wooden bristle brush. I only comb/brush one time a week, right before a wash; rest of the week I finger detangle (separate the strands) to get the sheds out.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    3a/3b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    This. I have very thick hair, and my BBB does not do very well for general brushing. I prefer to use my Tek wooden paddle brush with extra long pins for general brushing (when my hair is straightened). However, I love my BBB for product distribution when I'm styling my hair curly. When wet, I'll use the brush to help me distribute my leave-in and hair gel evenly. I think it'd do great at distributing oils for your hair treatments, too.

Length
    shl/bsl/class
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

My hair is too thick to use a conventional boar bristle crush, however I have read that (supposedly) the kind with nylon pins are not good for your hair and you shouldn't use them.