Thread: Deposit dyes to enhance hennaed hair

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Default Deposit dyes to enhance hennaed hair

I have light reddish brown hair with some henna on top - it's a medium auburn color with the henna, not super bright or vivid. Sometimes I get the urge to do something more vivid, but darker henna looks bad on me (it almost starts to look dark brown on my hair).

Any deposit dyes that aren't bad for hair or health that I can do when I feel like sporting something more intense? It can't be super duper unnatural, since I work in an industry that's pretty conservative, but I could do a bright copper or red, as long as it isn't blood red or neon orange.

I considered Overtone or Arctic Fox. I heard Manic Panic bleeds, so I don't want that, but I also read that Overtone sometimes doesn't wash out, so I'm concerned about that.
    Buzz - Pixie - Bob - Shoulder - CBL - APL - MBL - Waist - Hip

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Default Re: Deposit dyes to enhance hennaed hair

This is the kind of color I'm looking to get closer to https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c1/e4...d3f7c7aef6.jpg

My current shade is similar to this, but not as uniform https://lovehairstyles.com/wp-conten...b-683x1024.jpg

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

After a bit of research, I purchased Davines Alchemic Red Conditioner. It seems to be safe and very temporary, and no reports of permanent staining. I got the red because it apparently is pinkish, and that sounds pretty fun. I've always wanted pinkish hair. Will report back later with how it looks.

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

I’d love to see before & after photos .

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Before and after: http://imgur.com/a/bKXSTZR

The before photos are bad because they were taken immediately post-henna so the color was a bit weird - I just took them because I was checking to see how it looked in the back, so I never intended to use them for comparison. To me, my hair looks mostly like a light brown with orange/gold flexes in the "before", and I'm really not a fan of it, since I want a rich copper. After taking those photos is when I decided to try a color depositing conditioner. The "after" photos I took in natural light and artificial light today. Minimal color change, but the color looks more uniform and good (in my opinion).

I don't necessarily recommend this particular product based on the smell. It's a very strong, lingering smell that stays in your hair after rinsing. It's been 2 nights since I did it and I can still smell it. I found it a bit nauseating on the first night. The color itself is indeed pinkish in certain lights, but only on the few natural highlights I have, due to the hair near my crown and temples being thinner (despite no sun exposure on my new growth since buzzing). Mostly though, it deposited a cool, pinkish red tone on top of the predominantly orange-brown color I had before, and I think it improved it. I don't plan on continuing with color depositing stuff, since this smell experience reminded me how much I prefer plant dyes to chemical dyes.

This little color experiment did prove useful. The color change was minimal, but it took my color in a direction that I really prefer, which made me realize I should probably add some more hibiscus to my henna mix, and also boost my henna by 10-20%.

Also I will say this is a good thing to try for anyone who is feeling impulsive - better than using something permanent that you will end up regretting (which I did the first time I felt impulsive and used pure Red Raj and hugely regretted it). It really re-invigorated my love of henna - especially the smell, which I've grown super fond of.

Length
    1/1/30
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

I think your hair looks absolutely beautiful!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I like it; it's the kind of color I had when I had freshly, for the first time, done henna. And I should have stuck to root touch ups from then on. But unfortunately, mine intensified and got brown so badly, I couldn't deal with it anymore.

I even had this happen twice, so don't think I learned from my mistakes. Oh no.

I think it's really pretty!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Your hair looks pretty in both the before and after photos, stardust lady. It’s fun to play around with temporary color for sure!

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Thanks for showing us the photos! It's interesting and your hair certainly looks lovely.

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Thank you so much guys! I do like the coppery color objectively but I'm starting to think I prefer the cooler, more intense red with my cool skintone. It makes sense since I can't wear orange or yellow and burgundy is my best color.