Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shears For Trimmings, Dustings, and S&D?

Length
    Chin/Armp/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/C/iii

Default Shears For Trimmings, Dustings, and S&D?

Hey all, I have a quick question for you lovely people: Which shears do you like to use for your trimmings, dustings, and S&D? I have this very small pair of scissors that I only used for my eyebrows, you know when you brush your eyebrow hairs up and then cut the very long hairs in order to make your brows look groomed? Yeah, I have the Tweezerman ones, they're very good quality, but I am wondering if that is safe to use for my hair, LOL!

Default Re: Shears For Trimmings, Dustings, and S&D?

Any sharp scissors that you only use for hair are fine. Some people say they have to have professional shears or those meant for hair, but honestly I think sharpness of blades is more important than what they're originally meant for. Dull hair shears are a lot worse for the hair than perfectly sharp paper scissors. But you want to take your hair into account, some hair is more fragile and other doesn't care what you do to it.

The journey continues Eastbound&Down's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/WL/Hip+
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

I have a pair of shears that I bought from Sally's for a decent price that work really well. I haven't used them in a while and I'm doing a no trimming challenge this year, but they are waiting patiently for me in a drawer at home for when the end of December rolls around and it's time to trim.
    CL(14")~SL(15")~APL(20")~BSL(24")~WL(27")~HL(30")~TBL(34")

Length
    Pixie/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I got a pair off Amazon that I use exclusively for hair.. But I think they have only snipped a max of 20 hairs thus far with them
    Pixie-Bob-Shoulder-CBL-APL-BSL-WL-HL-BCL-TBL 2019!

Lady Hester, Healer of the Platte and Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Those are probably nice for S&D but they are too small (too short blades) for trims (at least IMHO).

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I'd get a different set just for hair, not that tiny pair of shears. It might be okay for S&D but for a real trim, you're going to have trouble cutting through more hair. This is great for individual hairs, but for more, bigger chunks: no.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    14/30ish/35?
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I use very sharp, high quality embroidery scissors for s &d. They work well, and I have not seen any damage from them. I had bought a pair of hair shears for $10 (conair brand), but those were terrible and did cause damage. I'm currently saving up for Japanese v10 steel shears for actual trims, but it might be a wile before I buy them. Sigh. Hope you find the shears of your dreams!
    Lady Araviel, Artisan of Clan MacGregor, Keeper of the Stylus of the Sun in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - HL - TBL

Length
    //Thigh//
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I could not find any where I live, and I decided to order a pair from ebay. They have adjustment for the tension and really are very sharp. I really love them.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Remi View Post
    I could not find any where I live, and I decided to order a pair from ebay. They have adjustment for the tension and really are very sharp. I really love them.
    I got some off of ebay as well and they were cheap and were so dull I couldn't believe it. Even my drugstore regular shears were sharper. And I need sharp shears because my hair is thick.

That is why I got real professional shears for about €50 from a *real* beauty supply store. They are amazing! I think I've had these for about 10 years now. Of course they hardly get used. My mom snips her hair with them every 3 to 4 months, and they are used for my cuts, whenever I decide to trim my hair (last cut was this January, and before that it was 2 years ago).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2b/F/i

I recently bought hairdressing scissors from Amazon just for S&D. They cost me £12. The other night when cutting out a few tangles on my dog I switched from cheap scissors to my hair ones and the difference was amazing! Made me feel entirely justified in buying a special pair for the purpose.