Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ditching the flat iron

Default Ditching the flat iron

I think I really need to ditch my flat iron but I am really struggling with how that is going to work out. I need my hair to look decently fixed for work. Any advice from those of you that used one daily and finally gave it up? Just at bsl and my grown out bangs are below chin length and I have layers. Ends of bangs are probably the most damaged and I tend to run the flat iron through them.

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Ditching the flat iron

Hi there! I used to straighten my hair daily in the past and made the switch and ditched it as well. I think it will be great in the long run for the health or your hair. Do you know what you natural texture is? Are you going to be wearing your hair mostly down? Braid waves or bun waves are a way to give your hair a uniform texture while down. At bsl you can also probably manage some buns and braided styles while you're out and about as well, I think switching up styles might be a good idea for you just so you dont get bored whole transitioning away from the straightener.

Mediocre Clarinet Player ExpectoPatronum's Avatar
    Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

I also used to flat iron my hair every day. I second milosmomma - what is your hair texture like? I think if you learn to work with your texture that it can be presentable for work. Half ups are nice on textured hair. I also agree that wearing buns and braids is a good option.

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019
    Curly: SHDR.APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Stretched: APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Lady Andromeda, Keeper of Feathered Fauna, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Buzz/Pixie/Happy
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I can promise you have co-workers that don't use flat irons!
    Seconding everything said above!
    Just trying to get by

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by 2gaits View Post
    I think I really need to ditch my flat iron but I am really struggling with how that is going to work out. I need my hair to look decently fixed for work. Any advice from those of you that used one daily and finally gave it up? Just at bsl and my grown out bangs are below chin length and I have layers. Ends of bangs are probably the most damaged and I tend to run the flat iron through them.
    It really depends on what your natural texture is.

If it's straight, it's quite straightforward and you can probably smooth it out with just a blowdryer (that's fine, on warm, not hot).

If it's wavy or curly, do look into the curly girl method, in the sense that you need to learn to tackle your hair a little differently (like brushing when wet and never dry).

Let us know!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Chin/APL/TBD
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

I've heard from a lot of former straightner users that the less they straightened their hair the less they needed to, since the damage makes it frizzy and dry. It's something that'll only get easier as time goes by.
    Personally, I don't worry too much about how my hair look t work, as long as it's clean and detangled. There's always a lot of pressure to look perfect, especially when you're a woman, but as long as you're practicing hygiene you should be alright at work.
    The only thing I do to my hair for work is I'll sometimes wear a headband to keep it out of my face.

Thanks all for the ideas. I think my natural texture is wavy. At least it has bends to it when air dried. If I use a diffuser it will stay wavy but I'm not in love with it. I guess I will need to learn to love it. Styling it with just a diffuser is better for it. I might try to do more half ups or braids in the front.

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/CBL/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

When I was in college, I washed, blow-dried, and ironed my hair every single day. And then I got a layered haircut, done by a person who knew what they were doing with my waves, and it looked awesome air-dried with a little bit of goop in it.
    I think you just have to try some things and you'll find a way to wear it that you love without damaging it.
    Hair is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    My not-usually-hair-related blog is at www.thecoffeelessmom.wordpress.com

Ditching heat-tools was the best thing i ever did for my hair! And you don't even have to ditch them completely, i still use them for special occasions. Braid waves are my go-to hairstyle now, and it saves so much time getting ready in the morning.
    SL~APL~BSL~WL~HL~TBL
    Bleach/dye free since January 2019

Length
    Chin/SL/TBL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

I used to use a flat iron 3 or so times a week because I hated my hair unless it was straight - then I decided to try and keep it in two braids at night, and I actually like the braidwave texture even more than it being pin-straight! I know that's really more a matter of preference from person to person, but I found that it kind of made my hair appear longer because it kept it all at one length, protected the ends, and let me keep an oil or leave-in conditioner in it overnight instead of sleeping on it flat =)