Thread: henna gloss recipe??

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: henna gloss recipe??

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    The one time I tried it the conditioner separated and got...strange when I thawed it
    My glosses do that too, but I got around it with xanthan gum.

I thaw the dye-released henna, mix it with conditioner and it wants to separate out and clot up. Sprinkle in 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum and wisk it well. It should smooth back out and thicken up a little. I go through less henna, get a lighter color, and can control the drips with xanthan gum. (A little xanthan gum goes a long way. The first time I tried it, I put in a tablespoon, and it thickened to jello in my hair! That was exciting/drain clogging to rinse out!) Because of the way xanthan gum binds with the conditioner, you'll have to use some shampoo to get it out. I alternate shampoo and conditioner in the shower and it works just fine.

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Length
    Ears/Cheek/WL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Nightshade, thanks for the answer! I will go on and try this thing as soon as I get my Henna delivered!
    It takes a redheaded woman to get a dirty job done

Length
    Ears/Cheek/WL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

I'm guessing there's really no limit on how often you can do this?

And how about leftovers? Can you use it again?
    It takes a redheaded woman to get a dirty job done

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Snorman View Post
    I'm guessing there's really no limit on how often you can do this?

And how about leftovers? Can you use it again?
    I usually don't have enough leftovers to mess with.

I dye-release the henna and freeze it up in "doses". Some people use ice cube trays. I don't have one, so I put a spoonful in a bunch of sandwich bags. When you're ready to gloss, thaw the henna, mix with bargain basement condish, and go! I use about 1/4 C henna and 3/4 C conditioner to touch up my roots. (I also add xanthan gum, but many here don't.)

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I know this is kinda dead but I've just discovered the existence of a henna gloss and now I am hyped. Can anyone help me with a detailed recipe? My main questions are: Can I use cassia in the mixture or is it unnecessary? What kind of conditioner should I use? I watched a video on youtube where the lady said it should be a conditioner without silicones and protein, is that true? Also, how long should I let it sit and then applied on my hair if I want at least some colour and greys coverage? (I know it won't take to the grey immediately but with time I read it should give it some colour)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Faraniel View Post
    I know this is kinda dead but I've just discovered the existence of a henna gloss and now I am hyped. Can anyone help me with a detailed recipe? My main questions are: Can I use cassia in the mixture or is it unnecessary? What kind of conditioner should I use? I watched a video on youtube where the lady said it should be a conditioner without silicones and protein, is that true? Also, how long should I let it sit and then applied on my hair if I want at least some colour and greys coverage? (I know it won't take to the grey immediately but with time I read it should give it some colour)
    Always strand test. Don't just go on recommendations from people either, collect your sheds for a couple of weeks, even up to a month, depending on how much you shed. And then test various recipes on the different hair balls. See how you like that.

Don't use your head as a laboratory! A longtime user (whose name I promptly forgot) used to say that; wise words!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Always strand test. Don't just go on recommendations from people either, collect your sheds for a couple of weeks, even up to a month, depending on how much you shed. And then test various recipes on the different hair balls. See how you like that.

Don't use your head as a laboratory! A longtime user (whose name I promptly forgot) used to say that; wise words!
    Thank you, I wil try on the hair from my brush.

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I tried something different with my recent henna gloss, really 2 things.

First, I didn't make a henna mud, simply mixed the powder directly with the conditioner. Second, I used powdered aloe vera for one third of my mix. I used 1 Tbsp each of henna, cassia, and aloe vera. It took maybe 5 minutes to blend the conditioner and powder. Next time I'll warm the conditioner first. The gloss was fairly thick; it took 5 minutes to work through my hair. I chose to dye release right on my hair. I rinsed it off about 6 hours later.

Results - a lovely strawberry blond, with extremely well conditioned hair. The aloe vera is a powerful moisturizer. I've never had as good a result with a SMT or deep conditioner treatment.

And absolutely no drips.

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

Hi everyone! I am perplexed with my henna gloss. Some background... I have hair that goes to the end of my shoulder blades. Naturally an ashy dark blonde. In October I chemical dyed for the first time ever... well I was aiming for darker and she bleached half my head. Anyways November my hubby perma dyed it a light brown for me and I was happy. And of course dyes fade and I don’t want to destroy my hair so I’ve been researching henna. Last weekend I did a full strength mix from Henna Color Lab, it was cassia and henna “ginger blonde”. The result is quite nice, very very subtle red and overall my hair kindof is like the color of gingerbread but blonde. Maybe like a yellower gingersnap cookie. Anyways it’s nice but I figured I’d order some henna and cassia for the roots and glosses. I’d like it a shade redder. So like a dark blondish copper or light brown copper. So I mixed some 2019 Jamila 50/50 with Cassia last night, water, and ACV. Let it dye release overnight and this evening after work did a strand test. Mixed with conditioner for a gloss on one small chunk of hair, 50/50 about henna and conditioner. Left it on for an hour. Rinsed it out and it is like WAY lighter. Maybe it’s the cassia on the gold of my blonde? But it looks bleached. Could the ACV have pulled my 2 month old dye out? Could the henna just not be visible at all and tomorrow it will oxidize and be red and copper and beautiful? I am so perplexed. I know it will darken but like many, I want to avoid having orange hair. I’m looking for a more coppery light brownish red. And I thought you could only go darker with henna? Maybe I should have just done a henna gloss for darker rather than the henna cassia? But want to go slow since theoretically we can only go darker from here. Any thoughts? I saw one other thread from many moons ago with someone reporting the same issue but without a resolution

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

OK. I did another strand test and it was ok. I think what happened was I had a small blotch of natural hair where hubby missed some dye and that part started glowing with the gloss.