Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair Perceptions acros the country?

Length
    Chin/Hip/Hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Hair Perceptions acros the country?

So, I've been thinking about this for awhile. Perceptions of 'long hair' vary greatly across the country don't they?

I ask because I see a lot of people post about how people start telling them their hair is long after shoulder, but where I live, people regularly have bsl length and waist length hair. It's not until hip and tailbone that people will start to consider it unusually long.

But then again, I live in coastal southern California and I feel like long hair is sorta a fashion statement here. It's very normal to see a bunch of bsl hair and a few waist length just walking around day by day.

In what parts of the country is shoulder and beyond considered long?

Chin ~ Shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip (Maintaining) ~
    Lady Pendragon, Guardian of the Gates to Tír na nÓg and Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Searching For: Black white leopard border silver Ficcare. Any size. PM me

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

Default Re: Hair Perceptions acros the country?

Yes its getting harder to find long hair wearers. I've seen maybe 3 I'd call really long tailbone to hip.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Type
    1c/C/iii

What country? Is this thread just for people in your country?
    Amo, amas, amat, amodimethicone, ammonium laureth sulphate....I'm feeling the love .

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/F/iii

I live in the US as well, albeit on the opposite side of the country than you. Here hair isn't really a big deal period. You'll see young teens rocking pixies and you'll see older women with classic length. I've even seen a woman with hair down to her ankles. I've never heard smart remarks about either case.

Length
    Chin/Hip/Hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Oh sorry! I was thinking in terms of the US because that's the geography I'm familiar with but yes, I'd love to hear about length perceptions from other countries as well!

Chin ~ Shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ Waist ~ Hip (Maintaining) ~
    Lady Pendragon, Guardian of the Gates to Tír na nÓg and Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Searching For: Black white leopard border silver Ficcare. Any size. PM me

Length
    APL/Hip/Hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I like in the South and there are several different perceptions here that I have heard. Some consider long hair (tbl+) to be a "home school" thing, along with long skirts and no makeup. Others think that long hair is "trashy" or "wild," especially if it is teased/bleached.

Length
    Tbl/Apl/Jaw
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I live in the UK and I would say that people generally class hair as 'long' when it gets to about BSL. However I have noticed a lot more people with waist-hip length in the past couple of years - my little sister is 16 and most of the girls in her school year have hair between bsl and waist (which i never saw when i was in school).
    CO washer - Grahtoe - Dresses only - De-clutterer - LHC addict

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by afu View Post
    I live in the UK and I would say that people generally class hair as 'long' when it gets to about BSL.
    Same here in Belgium, as far as I know. Up till now there's few people I've seen with hair longer than BSL. I think in my 40 years, I can still count them on two hands.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/BSL/CL
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

People constantly ask if my hair is extensions/wig. I live in Wisconsin. I've seen plenty of people with hair longer than mine, but people can't seem to accept the fact that my hair is real. It's only at hip length.

Length
    26/54/56
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

It seems to vary a lot between different groups here. Hair to mid-back or even waist is somewhat common among white women in their late teens to maybe 30s. Hair longer than that gets a bit of attention when it's noticed, but I have yet to hear anything negative.

The metal scene has tons of long hair on women and men alike, all across the age spectrum. The anime scene tends to feature shorter hair to shoulder or possibly APL, so that they can fit it under wigs for cosplay (and so people won't assume it's a wig and randomly start playing with it, which does happen at conventions a fair amount).

I lived next to a girl in college in WV with hair to her knees. She'd never cut it, for religious reasons. I think she may have mentioned LHC to me at some point, possibly when I asked her where she learned to bun her hair with a single stick. I kind of wish I'd have looked it up then, rather than finding it years later.

I haven't experienced the disgust some people say they've encountered in regards to their hair. Here people mostly just wonder how I can stand to keep taking care of it. When I mention it's easier for me than regular cuts and styling, they accept that answer and move on.
    Starting Length: APL (Nov 2009)
    Max Length: Knee (56")
    Current Length: Classic (46")