Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use conditioner as a leave-in?

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Default Does anyone use conditioner as a leave-in?

I've started doing this with the Matrix Rose oil conditioner because it's the most slippery thing I can find that doesn't have glycerin high in the ingredients, is protein-free and it smells like roses. So far, I haven't noticed any negative side-effects. It seems to counteract the protein that's in the gel I use as well.

I know in some cases over-moisturizing can cause breakage, so I'm a little nervous about that. Anyone else leave conditioners in? Any precautions I should be wary of?

I tried going back to regular leave-in last wash cycle and my hair felt so dry. I wonder if I can just stick to conditioners for now on.
    in a possibly permanent lurk mode

Lagging behind life MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/ankl?/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Does anyone use conditioner as a leave-in?

I don't see any problem, I think over-moisturising is only if you're excessively conditioning very frequently (like every day or every other day) or hygral fatigue if your hair is constantly wet or takes literally days to dry. I can't see there'd be too much difference between leave-in and rinse-out other than if you're leaving it on your scalp as well (perhaps with certain ingredients not supposed to be left on the skin).

Honestly, if it works, why not?!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I agree with MusicalSpoons. You won't get any breakage from over-moisturizing unless you're using conditioner every single day. I wouldn't see it being a problem either of using conditioner as a leave-in. I leave a little bit of my hair mask or deep conditioner in my hair all of the time, and I don't have any issues. I love to use the Garnier Banana Hair Mask as a leave-in as well. Or, the Maui Moisture Hair Mask.

...My vanity’s a mess... desisparkles's Avatar
    Length
    20/45 CL/Thigh
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

ooh, I also have the matrix rose oil conditioner but I'm waiting to open it until I finish my 2 that are currently open. Excited that you like it!
    Super fine and delicate
    Dye & heat free circa 2017
    Senna has turned my silvers to gold - give me all the metals

Length
    17,5/25/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I sometimes use conditioner as a leave in, I have done so s very long time. For me, it depends on my mood, and how I feel about the product. I believe in experimenting and multi purpose use.
    I have heard the mermaids singing... and I do think that they will sing to me...

Don't miss the LHC Book Club!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

In general I'd say, no problem, but... but! There are ingredients that "can" be in rinse-out products that you best not leave on the hair. I don't know exactly what those ingredients are.

Anyway why would you want to leave in plain conditioner when there are so many products designed for leaving in the hair. I guess I don't quite get it.

I'd not risk it, personally.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by desisparkles View Post
    ooh, I also have the matrix rose oil conditioner but I'm waiting to open it until I finish my 2 that are currently open. Excited that you like it!
    I loooooove it and it smells sooo good! I hope you like it too!

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    In general I'd say, no problem, but... but! There are ingredients that "can" be in rinse-out products that you best not leave on the hair. I don't know exactly what those ingredients are.

Anyway why would you want to leave in plain conditioner when there are so many products designed for leaving in the hair. I guess I don't quite get it.

I'd not risk it, personally.
    Regular leave-ins aren't working, as I think I mentioned in the OP. They aren't moisturizing enough, aren't slippery enough, and many don't absorb into my hair at all. This specific conditioner is somewhat light, absorbs into my hair pretty easily and doesn't leave it coated, sticky or with build up. In addition, it comes in a 33oz bottle that I can get for 21 dollars when on sale, which is an almost impossible price-per-volume to find for quality leave-ins.

AND it smells like roses.

It is difficult to find products that check these boxes, and I'm tired of spending all this money on 'natural/black hair' products to get ripped off by some garbage.

I'd like to know what the certain ingredients are.
    in a possibly permanent lurk mode

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post
    I'd like to know what the certain ingredients are.
    I had a grasp on that a while ago, read it somewhere... watched it somewhere... hmm. I can't quite remember, but if I come across it I'll let you know.

What all have you tried for leave-ins? The best ones for me are the JBCO leave-in by Shea Moisture, or the Cantu leave-in, but I also use curl creams as "leave-ins".
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Lagging behind life MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/ankl?/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

An old article but the author is reliable, has a scientific background https://bglh-marketplace.com/2012/09...-in-your-hair/
    The only real concerns for ingredients that she mentions are in case they cause skin reactions, and the potential for buildup.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    buzz/knee+/calf
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I do it often, but usually only in tiny amounts. I’ve tried a handful of “actual” leave-in products, but the vast majority of them made my hair sticky feeling or actually drier. So I just use a tiny bit of my favorite conditioner, and it seems to work great. I’d say, if it gives your hair the effect you want, and you don’t have a great alternative, then go for it.
    Current length: Knee+!
    Final Goal length more or less achieved!

Buzzed my head in 2010. Joined here and have been growing from Waist length since 2016