Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sulfate free Dog Shampoo on human hair?

Length
    17/43/45
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Sulfate free Dog Shampoo on human hair?

I have been trying to go sulfate free for a few months now, but unfortunately, I have been unable to find a product I liked. A few months ago, we ran out of shampoo and this was in the bathroom so I tried it. Strangely enough, I love the stuff. My hair smells so good when I use it and it makes my locks so soft. How can I tell if there are sulfates or cones in this? I am trying to stretch washes and take better care of my hair, but my only resources for cleansers are CVS and Sally's and the aisles are overwhelming. I have VERY oily roots and extremely dry ends/length that are straight but horribly frizzy. Has anyone else tried this stuff? Does your hair love or hate it? Any suggestions for better stuff so that my dog stops running out of shampoo? xD

[bold]Soothing Aloe & Oatmeal Shampoo - Cucumber Melon[/bold]
    Soothing - The fresh scent of cucumber melon combined with aloe and oatmeal helps relieve dry, itchy skin while leaving your dog smelling fresh and clean. Nootie Cucumber Melon Pet Shampoo is made with natural ingredients and is soap and paraben free. No sulfates or harsh chemicals for gentle cleansing.

Dilutes 16-1- Long lasting fragrance
    - Made with natural ingredients
    - Soap & paraben free
    - No sulfates or harsh chemicals
    - Safe to use along with topical flea & tick products
    Ingredients
    Purified Water, Decyl Glucoside, Coco Betaine, Glycerin, Polyquat 7 (Conditioner), Oatmeal Extract, Aloe Concentrate, infused with essence of Cucumber Melon, Preservative

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Sulfate free Dog Shampoo on human hair?

Looks to me by the ingredients that it's a quite mild sulfate-free shampoo.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kendrix View Post
    How can I tell if there are sulfates or cones in this?
    Judging by the ingredients you posted, there are no sulfates or cones in it.

Ingredients
    Purified Water, Decyl Glucoside, Coco Betaine, Glycerin, Polyquat 7 (Conditioner), Oatmeal Extract, Aloe Concentrate, infused with essence of Cucumber Melon, Preservative
    I must admit, I really like these ingredients. Granted, polyquat 7 (which is a cationic quaternary polymer) can build up on hair like all cationic conditioners, but it's still an excellent conditioner and a nice humectant.

Also, the surfactants (Decyl Glucoside, Coco Betaine) in this product are pretty mild, so don't be surprised if over time you need to clarify or rotate products, especially if you use some heavy conditioner after each use.
    Last edited by meteor; December 29th, 2014 at 05:21 PM.

Length
    Pixie/45/45
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Dogs have an alkaline ph though, so you'd probably find that it will upset your own acidic ph balance eventually.
    Pixie *SL * APL * BSL * WL * HL * Curly Waist
    SL Dec '13, APL Mar '15, bsl Dec '15, WL Dec '16, HL Dec '17, TBL Dec '18, CL Dec'19

Type
    2a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by butterflybutton View Post
    Dogs have an alkaline ph though, so you'd probably find that it will upset your own acidic ph balance eventually.
    I was going to say the same thing. Maybe follow up with a vinegar rinse if you start having problems, but you could get lucky and never have an issue with it.

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Growing in the Silvers hennalonghair's Avatar
    Length
    APL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

I have on occasion used my dog shampoo and also liked it

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by butterflybutton View Post
    So you might want to get PH Test Strips to check if the product's pH is acceptable. Or you can contact the manufacturer asking them for pH of this product. Some manufacturers answer such requests.

Length
    15/15/20

Some manufacturers don't divulge the ingredients they put in to their product. Make sure to read some reviews to make sure you have the best hair products.

Length
    17/43/45
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Thanks everyone. For the pH, should I vinegar rinse? I was doing that often over the summer, but I stopped because my family said I smelled like salad dressing. (It was acv not salad dressing). I am still looking for a sulfate free shampoo that I can pick up at Sally's or CVS. Any suggestions?

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Thanks everyone. For the pH, should I vinegar rinse? I was doing that often over the summer, but I stopped because my family said I smelled like salad dressing. (It was acv not salad dressing). I am still looking for a sulfate free shampoo that I can pick up at Sally's or CVS. Any suggestions?
    You can use a diluted citric acid rinse or a diluted lemon juice rinse to avoid vinegary smell.