Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Healthy way to Bleach?

Length
    5/5/30
    Type
    4c/F/i/ii

Question Healthy way to Bleach?

I have been thinking about bleaching my hair... Researching as much as possible. To find the most healthiest options for my hair. I will probably start off with the honey lightening treatment I saw on this thread just to get it as light as possible naturally. But I was wondering if there is any pretreatment that will protect my hair. Oleplex? Coconut oil? Do you think using a 10 developer will cause less damage if I do it slowly or it doesnt matter regardless. If i was 10 or 40. I just dont want permanently damaged hair lol

Length
    CBL/32"/32"
    Type
    2c/3a/C/ii

Default Re: Healthy way to Bleach?

It's been a long time since I last read through these but these 2 threads have a lot of good info that address some of those questions.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=125938
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...ad.php?t=21256

I think a fair few found that coconut oil soaks before, and oleplex during/after helped. I think there was also something about bleach baths as well in there.
    *Last box dye - 12/2013, Last highlights - 05/2014, Dyed hair gone! - 11/2018 * Goldwell Kerasilk! - 09/16, 04/17, 08/17, 06/18*

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I think it would be best going to a salon, and talking about the color you want to achieve. They will give you a time-frame and how many sittings you need.

I wouldn't do this myself. If you go too low with the developer, you are going to have orange/brassy hair. This needs to be done right. A mistake with bleach = damaging, so hence why you can't take a chance.

Get it done at a salon, see how they do it, and then you can probably do your root touch ups from then on.

Even though... No, I wouldn't do it myself.

Salon all the way.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Definitely go to a salon. I don't know how bleaching natural hair (which I think I remember you have) differs from bleaching hair like mine. They will know to use the correct developer on you. Ask for Olaplex.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    Definitely go to a salon. I don't know how bleaching natural hair (which I think I remember you have) differs from bleaching hair like mine. They will know to use the correct developer on you. Ask for Olaplex.
    Yes 4c hair can be thick to manage, I would not try this myself, it would be hard to manage from the back as well, unless you have someone there to help you out.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    5/5/30
    Type
    4c/F/i/ii

I don't think it will necessarily differ but I worry about going to salon professional due to knowing people who have damaged hair because they trusted someone else with there hair so I am a little weary

Length
    birth/CLASS/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LittleOgre View Post
    I don't think it will necessarily differ but I worry about going to salon professional due to knowing people who have damaged hair because they trusted someone else with there hair so I am a little weary
    Yea I mean if you do it yourself at least then you can just blame yourself and there is some salons that will eff hair up to so it depends all on you and what risk your willing to take. I see alot of people on youtube fix their bleach color with toner and purple shampoo. You should write to brad mondo and see if he writes you back,he is amazing in hair and knows the gentlest ways to handle bleach.

You can use coconut oil before bleaching and olaplex will only just lower your developer so remember that. Honey lightening does work but its very gradual and takes alot of time in doing it.

How can I control my life when I can't even control my hair!

Length
    MBL/TBL/Class
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Do it yourself? Ummm....your hair is loc'd? Yes? A professsional may suit you so you have evenly distributed color. Do you really trust yourself? What are your hair goals?

You have my curiosity. I would like to see your hair. Your threads about baking soda and now bleach has me scratching my head and wondering.

Save your hair vitamin money and put into a retirement fund. That's growth.

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by littlestarface View Post
    olaplex will only just lower your developer so remember that
    That is just a side effect of Olaplex. It does actually protect the disulfide bonds.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Go low and slow is what I've been recommended, Never use 40 vol on your hair!. It depends on your natural colour but if you have dark hair it would be better to do two 20 volume sessions with a break in between if you can. Bleaching over coconut oil really helps. it is a good idea to read as much as you can and do your homework before attempting to bleach your own hair, or maybe you could start with just a few streaks around your face to see if you like it.

I know alot of people are anti-bleach but it has'nt damaged my hair at all, I take care of it.

Hoping to get to bra strap length, technically it already is but only when all my hair is straightened.
    And I don't like wearing straight hair............