Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Hair mask disaster: Advice needed

Length
    Chin/MBL/Wl
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Question DIY Hair mask disaster: Advice needed

Ok. Let me start at the beginning. So I have seen a few hair masks that include mashed banana in it and I thought I would give it a whirl. I made my own recipe of olive oil and half a banana mashed by hand (It was a little chunky).
    I applied it and the took a bath/shower and shampooed & conditioned.

I started to realize things were gonna go down hill when I was in the bath and I was washing my hair, but most of the banana wasn't coming out. In fact it was clinging to my hair and tangling it into chunks. So I tried to comb it out (But it was really hard because I only have a fine tooth comb and it was so tangley) while having conditioner in my hair AND tried to condition about 3 times. Still it remained.

So I just got out and decided I would deal with the banana some other way and consult the hair experts (That's you guys )

HOW DO I GET THIS JUNK OUT

Also I will have you know my hair is feeling kind of weird, like not exactly stripped but just not right. WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!?!
    Last edited by - Lizzy -; March 13th, 2017 at 03:30 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    Chin~Cbl~Apl~BSL~Mbl~Wl~Hip~Bcl...
    Hit Full BSL/High MBL. Entering the MBL abyss.
    Last mini-trim: 3/16/17

Length
    CBL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: DIY Hair mask disaster: Advice needed

I saw a thread in the herbs and henna-forum about someone having the same troubles with an avacado and banana mask not too long ago, see if you can find that?

ETA: found it for you! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118596
    Last edited by PixieP; March 13th, 2017 at 03:40 PM.

Length
    MBL/Waist/Thigh
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Yikes I've seen this disaster recipe pop up here before. It seems the concensus is that you just have to keep washing til it's out. I've seen someone mention waiting till it's dry, then try gently combing the flakes/chunks out with the fine tooth comb? Personally I'd just keep cowashing like you're already doing and detangle as gently as possible with your fingers.

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

No advice, other than next time you feel like trying a DIY recipe, search the forums first This is one of those doomed recipes, if banana is being used it needs to be suuuper smooth.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    bsl/CL/ftl
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

This happened to me. It was terrible! I waited for my hair to fully dry then gently used my fingers to get the big chunks out and then used a brush for all the small bits of banana. Once the banana chucks are dry it will be easier to crack the pieces and release them from the hair strands. It took a long time, but it is doable.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Comb with a WT comb, until the tangles are gone, then go through it with a FT comb, and then wash it, condition it for the sake of combing (so repeat) until it's gone.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    32/35/40
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

I've seen these recipes too and been very tempted to try one since they promise extreme softness and shine. In a video I watched the banana ingredient was really smooth like Arctic suggested. It was first smashed and then squeezed through a cloth to have the finest consistency almost like banana juice.

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

I use banana baby food as I too learned the hard way. It took several washings and several days of combing with a fine toothed comb to get all the dried blobs out.
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Banana can be slimy, especially when they're not ripe enough, and that "slime" kind of lingers in your hair and makes the chunks *stick*. It's not pretty. I did it once and never again.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Chin/TBL/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I used banana, avocado and honey mask once. It was difficult to wash that out. Chunks of the mask were still in my hair after a full wash. So I applied cheap conditioner, massaged it into smalls sections of wet hair, until all hair was covered, rinsed and most of the persistent chunks came out.