Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acne Body Wash for Shampoo?

Length
    SL/Hip/TERM
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Default Acne Body Wash for Shampoo?

After getting off bc almost 3 months ago, I've been struggling with an itchy, pimply scalp. The pimples are mainly concentrated at my nape, but my whole head itches. I thought I might have SD, but I lack the crusty flakes. I've switched shampoo multiple times, I've tried H&S, I've tried Selsun Blue (that helped more than the others, but made my hair look like poo poo) I also have been having back acne, so I picked up some Neutrogena Body Clear body wash. I looked at the ingredients, and it is not much different from a clean rinsing shampoo + salicylic acid. It's helping my back...so...

Should I try the acne body wash as a shampoo?

I'm really frustrated and tired of dealing with it.

Current ​Length Stretched: BSL
    Next goal: ​Waist

Length
    17/45/40
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Acne Body Wash for Shampoo?

While the ingredients might be similar, the percentages might be higher, so it might end up being extremely drying and I would proceed with caution. The downside to salicylic acid is how drying it can be and while that's an easy fix for the skin, your hair won't be able to recover from it. So, again, I would proceed with caution, but in the end, it's really up to you. If you're really desperate for a fix, you could give it a try, but know that it might make the situation worse. Personally, I can't think of any products to recommend besides sticking with a clarifying shampoo and keeping conditioner away from the scalp, but otherwise, I don't know of anything currently on the market meant to help with that issue.

Best of luck!

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL+
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Maybe try mixing in a little tea tree oil or coconut oil, as those both have anti bacterial and nourishing properties?

Length
    SL/Hip/TERM
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Thanks for the replies!

I was worried the SA would be drying...that's why I'm leery but frustrated. It's weird because I don't have flakes or dandruff...just itchiness and pimples. Perhaps, like u said, a more clarifying/clean rinsing shampoo would help...
    I have tried mixing in tea tree...just forgot to mention it.

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

If you think it might be SD, try ketoconazole-containing shampoo (i.e. Nizoral or equivalent). IMO, it works much better than other medicated options.

That said, it doesn't exactly sound like SD. Tbh, I think you'd best go see your GP/family doctor for a proper diagnosis.

I wouldn't use the acne body wash. Firstly, as others have said, it won't be formulated for hair and is likely to be unduely harsh. Secondly, it's far from clear that what you have is an acne-like problem. Skin/scalp conditions are not all the same and cannot all be treated with the same products. By slapping on miscellaneous stuff without actually getting a diagnosis you risk causing more harm. The treatments for some conditions can actively exacerbate other conditions (e.g. moisturisers and oils for xerosis or eczema will exacerbate SD).
    ~ Need to figure out your hairtype? Check out the LHC's Visual Hairtyping Guide and learn how to measure your ponytail accurately ~

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I had this problem when I used oils and allowed conditioner near my scalp --> my crazy experimenting phase as a new LHCer. I learned my skin does not tolerate oils at all (acne and infection) and needs good shampooing often to stay healthy. I Can use normal rinseout conditioners (if they don't have oils and don't touch my scalp), occasional deep treatments, and leave-in conditioner (same as my rinse out one), and these are fine.

My case was clearly about the products, and not BC/hormones though.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    SL/Hip/TERM
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
    I had this problem when I used oils and allowed conditioner near my scalp --> my crazy experimenting phase as a new LHCer. I learned my skin does not tolerate oils at all (acne and infection) and needs good shampooing often to stay healthy. I Can use normal rinseout conditioners (if they don't have oils and don't touch my scalp), occasional deep treatments, and leave-in conditioner (same as my rinse out one), and these are fine.

My case was clearly about the products, and not BC/hormones though.
    I'm just guessing the hormones *might* be partly the cause, but it could be coincidental. When I part my hair and look at my scalp there is no redness or crusty flakes...nothing like that. I really doubt there is any real medical problem here...Its just has a mild (but annoying) itch and pimples. I think you are onto something with the oils and such....I'm going to try and use only clean rinsing shampoo and see if it clears up. I also have liked to do scalp oiling in an effort to boost hair growth, but I might have just boosted bacterial growth instead. lol I like to use the WCC method, but I don't put any on my scalp. I do, sometimes, glaze whats left over in my hand over the top of my head, but I don't massage it in.
    Last edited by CoveredByLove; June 25th, 2015 at 04:50 AM.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

You don't have to have *all* the symptoms to have SD. The fact that the Selsun Blue helped the most is proof of that. My favorite SD shampoo is Nizoral. It is drying though, so I make *very* certain to double condition afterwards - at least my scalp is happy. And you can try and do scalp-washes only as well. Good luck!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/Hip/TERM
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    You don't have to have *all* the symptoms to have SD. The fact that the Selsun Blue helped the most is proof of that. My favorite SD shampoo is Nizoral. It is drying though, so I make *very* certain to double condition afterwards - at least my scalp is happy. And you can try and do scalp-washes only as well. Good luck!
    Thanks! I will try the selsun and nizoral!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Honestly, I'd give it a try and just try to keep it close to the scalp. Worst that happens is that it doesn't work and is a bit harsh, right?

I've had a body wash or two that were awesome as shampoo. IMO, the categories are pretty artificial.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!