Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The perfect comb

Length
    ??/37/??
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default The perfect comb

I wonder what makes the perfect hair comb? Not supplier-wise, but in relation to our hair?

My sister and I have 1cFii hair and prefer combs with 1-2mm gaps between equally narrow tines. A friend with 2c hair would never touch combs like that - her hair seems to need more room.
    I get frizz as soon as I see a plastics comb, another friend swears by them for wet combing her locks.
    Usually the answer is "it depends", but I wonder whether there are some more common points than just smooth tines.

So, which combs work best for your hair, and why?

I start out with 1cFii hair.
    I need really narrow tines with equally narrow gaps - usually 1-2mm. (Fine hair, hine tines?)
    My preferred overall length is 10-20cm (more is comb length wasted, less is too much combing work)
    Tines should be about 5cm deep (flatter feels like the comb is gliding not through but over my hair)
    I want all tines at the same width (combination combs never work for me, and I don't want half a comb, I want a full comb for a given job)
    I hate plastics cause they create frizz on my hair, and of the wood combs I want locally grown wood that is not endangered. I never tried horn - till a few hours ago, I didn't even know serious horn combs existed outside of reenactment. Also, I have no idea what my comb is made out of - I bought it off a market stall and believed the seller on the local wood stuff. What convinced me then was the tactile impression of the comb, nothing else.

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL+
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: The perfect comb

My hair is quite fine, wurly and quite thick.

Around 5-6 mm is what I prefer for detangling. Much wider than that and I feel as if the hair isn't being detangled (maybe due to the fineness of my hair), much smaller and detangling becomes very time consuming (maybe because of the waviness).

Length of comb: same as you basically. 10-16 cm, depending on design (i.e. is there a handle or not).

The length of the tines is best around 4mm. Long is unnecessary, shorter is annoying.

I prefer a waterproof comb so that I can rinse it without issue.. so wood is out. I use a Mason Pearson rake comb - which is a celluloid material, plastic. Haven't had an issue with frizz.

I have thick wavy/slightly curly hair. And apparently a taboo on here, I brush my hair wet because if I don't, it becomes a chaotic rats nest that ends up breaking more hairs trying to detangle it after it dries. If I brush it wet then braid it, it's smooth, breakage, and tangle free.

I have used for the past few years a really crappy $2 plastic comb with jagged seams. It did the job but I didn't realize how bad that comb was until I tried an "Eternally in Amber" (on Etsy) comb. It's the exact same size as my old comb, but using the Amber comb was like combing my hair with angel fingers. My hair isn't half as tangle-prone as I thought. All it took was changing my comb.

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/237031883
    favorite shop: schnitzstube
    favorite hair product: coconut oil, aloe vera
    hair hero: lagertha from vikings

My hair is thick, fairly coarse, and tangles like crazy.

The trick is finding a comb that my hair won't kill. It has 'eaten' a few plastic ones (years ago, I gave up and switched to a paddle brush), taken a few tines off a stainless steel comb, and snapped a few off my SOs flexible plastic comb.

I've got a thick wide-toothed comb on the way, and my fingers are crossed that it's sturdy enough. If it doesn't work...I'll probably stick with the knock-off tangle teaser. Can anyone with comb-destroying hair vouch for the durability of Eternally in Amber's? if she made one in a color I like I'd be sorely tempted, luckily (? lol) one hasn't come around yet.
    Long hair and kitties

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

My hair is F, thick and wavy. I love my Hairsense, Bone, Volume comb the most. It's a wide tooth comb and it's awesome for wet detangling. It doesn't catch on hair, nor snatch at tangles which is rare. I don't get the same with other wide tooth combs.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    buzz/FTL/FTL
    Type
    2b/C/ii

My hair is coarse, thick, and wavy, and I'd say the number one thing for me is having pointed, slender tines. Combs like this wont even get into my hair, let alone through it: http://cdn.classicshaving.com/media/...w-hc-1702a.jpg

Wood and horn have more slip than plastic for my hair, and it's nice to have longer tines, with a little more space between them than most wide toothed combs have, but pointy is number one. I think next time I buy a comb it will be a Hairsense bone comb because they seem to meet all of my requirements.

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

My hair is medium and wavy and slippery. I generally prefer wide toothed comb that are not plastic (horn and hardwood are my favorites). Fined toothed combs and brushes seem to fluff it up instead of taming it, so then it's all frizzy looking. It's usually very humid here so that probably doesn't help. When I go to a very dry place my hair is much straighter and sleek. I guess it really doesn't matter since I put it up all the time so it's sleek and shiny anyway.

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by librarychick View Post
    My hair is thick, fairly coarse, and tangles like crazy.

The trick is finding a comb that my hair won't kill. It has 'eaten' a few plastic ones (years ago, I gave up and switched to a paddle brush), taken a few tines off a stainless steel comb, and snapped a few off my SOs flexible plastic comb.

I've got a thick wide-toothed comb on the way, and my fingers are crossed that it's sturdy enough. If it doesn't work...I'll probably stick with the knock-off tangle teaser. Can anyone with comb-destroying hair vouch for the durability of Eternally in Amber's? if she made one in a color I like I'd be sorely tempted, luckily (? lol) one hasn't come around yet.
    I have a eternally in amber comb, it is fine for my 5 year olds hair, but too little and fragile seeming for my hair. It takes FOREVER if I try to detangle my hair with it.
    What you find irresistable is what you choose not to resist.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ladyfey View Post
    I have a eternally in amber comb, it is fine for my 5 year olds hair, but too little and fragile seeming for my hair. It takes FOREVER if I try to detangle my hair with it.
    Yes, my sentiments exactly. The comb is just a little too "flimsy" for me. It bends if it's used to try and detangle wet, and because of that it catches on hair and snags, so it's only used dry here and that's seemingly okay.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    8/8/hips
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

My hair is somewhat fine, and I don't have so much of it, so any medium brush or comb works. The all natural bristle brush is very nice, but the wooden one does pull on the hair and rips it out a bit. I like the plastic medium size comb lately, it is very gentle to my fragile hair. Since I tend to lose a lot it just by brushing, I try to only brush a few times every morning and night, then I braid it and/or put it up.