Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self trimming for short hair

Length
    Pixie/Waist/...?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Default Self trimming for short hair

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice about self trimming short hair (currently neck length heading towards shoulders!). I've checked out Feye's tutorials but they're for longer hair. Any advice appreciated

Successfully reached Waist! (only just) and currently letting it grow

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: Self trimming for short hair

I have written about how I do it several times over the years, so if you are interested you could do some forum searches. It's too time consuming to write about it in detail again and again. I have been considering making a blog post (tutorial) about it, maybe I will, some day. But the information is out there! As a short version: I mimic how hair dresser would do it, but simplify the process a lot.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

First question. Is there damage in your hair? Do you need to trim it? If there's not any damage, you can just let it grow. And if there is some damage S&D will get that out for you just fine.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/Waist/...?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Arctic, I found the posts you meant Thanks so much that's exactly what I was looking for XD.
    Lapushka, my hair isn't damaged, it's just that I'm growing out layers. So I want to trim it a bit so its more even.
    Thanks so much for replying!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Miss P, is it an idea to grow out the layers first, then trim it even when it's longer and you *can* self-trim?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/mbl/???
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I've always self trimmed, but not as short as neck length. What I would do at shoulder length was make a pony tail at the back, I didn't use elastics I just held it, looked at it sideways on in the mirror, held the end where I wanted to cut and just snipped it off. It always came out straight. If it's long enough to make a pony, even a teeny one, it's long enough to self trim.

I still do it this way now, I get better results than dividing it into two and pulling round to the front. In fact I did a dusting the other night this way and didn't even use a mirror, as I had scissors but no mirror and the snipping bug bit!!! You just need a bit of confidence. Good luck
    shoulder 16" - apl 20" - bsb 24" -mbl 25" - waist 28" - hip 32" - bcl 36"

Length
    Pixie/Waist/...?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Thanks diddiedaisy I think I will wait until its shoulder length (and I can put it in a proper pony XD)

Length
    pixie/clsc/term
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

A ponytail snipped straight across will give you an A-line cut, because the front pieces have farther to go to get to the ponytail than the back. This is how I've been cutting my hair while I grow out my side cut, and it's working really well even at a pretty short length (about chin in front, and all the way up to my hairline in back). I cut by feel, but I have a bit more leeway in terms of evenness due to waves (my hemline will never look perfectly even, no matter how even the cut), and I'm not sure a straighty could get away with doing it that way. If you have a friend who you trust to do a single straight chop, though, that would definitely work.
    Lady Pyracantha, Firethorn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    chin ~ shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ waist ~ hip ~ TBL ~ classic ~ FTL ~ knee ~ term
    I like big buns and I cannot lie

Length
    SL/APL/MB
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i

diddiedaisy, is your avatar picture representative of what you wind up with after trimming with your ponytail method? Do you keep the "tie" at the back of your head, or do you slide down to where you want to cut?
    Everything in the world is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons, and morons.

Length
    pixie/cbl/bsl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

This is a video that shows how to cut a bob or hair that is neck length. She uses a elastic headband. I've tried this myself a few months ago and it worked.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFL19bSDQkQ