Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tangles!

Length
    Shave/Knee/Knee
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Default Tangles!

Hi, I had a really bad wash day today I had a huge tangle on the back of my head, I sat for half an hour trying to gently detangle it with oil but in the end I had to cut it out! My hair has been getting more and more tangled to the point I'm dreading wash days. I always put oil on for and hour beforehand. I'm also wondering if silicone conditioner would be better for me as my natural products just don't seem to be helping.
    Sorry for the long post. If anyone has any advice that would be great.
    I've just realised I posted regarding my tangles before sorry
    Last edited by Lesley8; October 27th, 2021 at 07:17 AM.

The journey continues Eastbound&Down's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/WL/Hip+
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Default Re: Tangles!

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley8 View Post
    Hi, I had a really bad wash day today I had a huge tangle on the back of my head, I sat for half an hour trying to gently detangle it with oil but in the end I had to cut it out! My hair has been getting more and more tangled to the point I'm dreading wash days. I always put oil on for and hour beforehand. I'm also wondering if silicone conditioner would be better for me as my natural products just don't seem to be helping.
    Sorry for the long post. If anyone has any advice that would be great.
    I've just realised I posted regarding my tangles before sorry
    Do you use silcone products and if not is there a reason why you don't? Your hair may need the help with slip that you can get from different products. I'm sorry you had to cut, I know that is a worst case scenario.

Length
    Shave/Knee/Knee
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

I don't use silicone it's only because I thought natural products were better for the hair, but im also finding my ends don't feel as clean. I think I'm going to have to go back to silicone as my knots are really bad and I was not happy having to cut!

The journey continues Eastbound&Down's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/WL/Hip+
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

I don't use silicone it's only because I thought natural products were better for the hair, but im also finding my ends don't feel as clean. I think I'm going to have to go back to silicone as my knots are really bad and I was not happy having to cut!
    I would find a good coney shampoo and conditioner and see if that helps. I use Herbal Essence, really any of their products are good but I buy Long Term Relationship when I can find it or Hello Hydration otherwise. I also CWC with Aussie 3 minute miracle. I seal with either sweet almond oil or shea oil. I recently switched to a satin pillowcase and I have notice a huge difference in how my hair looks and feels, and it is MUCH less tangled in the mornings.

Length
    HL/TBL/IDK
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Have you tried to clarify? Anyway tangles is the n.1 problem of my hair. I find cones works way better than not-coney conditioners. I usually detangle my hair dry, before washing. It can seem absourd, but it's easier than with wet hair! Then I re-detangle when I have the conditioner on, but generally speaking the two detangling moments takes me 30 minutes in the worst cases, probably even less for you.

Length
    Shave/Knee/Knee
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

I use a satin bonnet at night, but my main problem is washing seriously dread it, I'll take a look at herbal essence I did try the hello hydration and it irritated my scalp but I'll look into the other ones.
    I just clarified last week ,it's the top of my head that gets tangles for some reason, I'll give everyone's ideas a go and change my shampoo and conditioner. Thank you both for the help really appreciate it.

Type
    2a/C/iii

The tangles may be caused by lint. https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=151460

Lint can accumulate next to the scalp if the hair becomes folded or twisted and the comb tines cannot get in between. Do you find lint on your comb or shed hairs? If so, you may need to improve your detangling routine.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    Shave/Knee/Knee
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by EdG View Post
    The tangles may be caused by lint. https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=151460

Lint can accumulate next to the scalp if the hair becomes folded or twisted and the comb tines cannot get in between. Do you find lint on your comb or shed hairs? If so, you may need to improve your detangling routine.
    Ed
    Hi its not something I've noticed but I'll definitely keep an eye on it, thank you

Length
    HL/TBL/IDK
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I use a satin bonnet at night, but my main problem is washing seriously dread it, I'll take a look at herbal essence I did try the hello hydration and it irritated my scalp but I'll look into the other ones.
    I just clarified last week ,it's the top of my head that gets tangles for some reason, I'll give everyone's ideas a go and change my shampoo and conditioner. Thank you both for the help really appreciate it.
    I totally understand you, my hair is the same.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Well that is a total myth; as long as you clarify-wash (sulfate) about 1 to 2 times a month, you should be all right using silicone products.

I would get conditioners or masks that are geared towards dry & damaged hair, as those are the most moisturizing on the market. I say this all of the time. I had the same issue past BSL and I also once tried to go all natural. It just did not work.

You do what you have to do; hair is dead it is not going to know (you are) what you put on it.

It's what your hair wants that matters not what you want for your hair, meaning, you have to go by what your hair feels like not by what you are determined should work, but ultimately doesn't. That is a whole mess.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)