Thread: Ladies, has your hair thinned over the years, and what have you done to stop it?

Length
    33"/33"/50"

Default Ladies, has your hair thinned over the years, and what have you done to stop it?

I was born with a thick mane of hair, but I noticed it felt a little finer in college. I sort of dismissed it, thinking it was stress-related (I also had dark circles under my eyes and I lost weight, and both of these problems went away after I graduated). By age 24, it felt even finer, but I'm now 30, and it's the same as it was when I was 24.

Have other women experienced this? I went to a doctor, and he said there's genetic component to it. Another one said I could go onto some sort of medication to thicken it up.

Have any of you gotten your thick hair back?

Length
    CBL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Ladies, has your hair thinned over the years, and what have you done to stop it?

I had ultra thick hair as a kid! And lots of it, too. However, as I became a teen, it just became normal to fine type of hair over time and I also had a normal amount of it. I tried all sorts of stuff but also have to agree that it's mainly (if not completely) a genetics thing and not something you can really control unless it's something specific causing it like something missing from your diet. While I never did get my thick hair back, I found tons of tips and tricks to make my hair appear full and thick and that's good enough for me

This stuff can be extremely stressful so while you explore any potential options, I really recommend to look into methods for increasing hair volume, giving the appearance of fuller hair (a blunt hemline, for example, really helps me) and so on.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Ladies, has your hair thinned over the years, and what have you done to stop it?

Quote Originally Posted by OpalArrowhead View Post
    I was born with a thick mane of hair, but I noticed it felt a little finer in college. I sort of dismissed it, thinking it was stress-related (I also had dark circles under my eyes and I lost weight, and both of these problems went away after I graduated). By age 24, it felt even finer, but I'm now 30, and it's the same as it was when I was 24.

Have other women experienced this? I went to a doctor, and he said there's genetic component to it. Another one said I could go onto some sort of medication to thicken it up.

You said doctor, so I assume blood checks were done too, to weed out possible deficiencies.

My mom had ii hair on the medium side, so average thickness most her life, but after a child, it stayed thinner and after menopause it even got thinner again, so now it's i, so she went down "a notch". Her ponytail is the circumference of a sharpie.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by OpalArrowhead View Post

I had extremely thick hair as a child. Of course it thinned over time, but after a life with some notable stresses, that's normal. I have made zero effort to undo nature.

I would be very very very careful about using wondrous chemicals, potions, or gimmicks to thicken your hair. A much better focus is on eating healthful food in appropriate quantities, getting good exercise, sleeping sufficiently long, and finding a positive way to manage stress.

Length
    Pixie/Waist/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

I am in perimenopause, and I have gone from ii thickness to i thickness. When I was younger, I never did get thicker than ii, so part of it is genetics. Everyone in my family has i or ii hair.

I have been taking herbal remedies that are supposed to help with menopause, but sadly I haven't noticed a difference in any of my symptoms. I have accepted that this is my "new hair" now; I'm not going to try any chemicals.

Sometimes it's best to just learn to love what we have! I haven't learned this lesson easily. For example, I got so frustrated last year that I cut my hair into a pixie. I very much regret it--I could've been at waist length by now!

Length
    Buzz/2 in/6 in

I never had really thick hair but it has thinned due to perimenopause over the last 6-8 months. Doctor okayed rogaine since my labs are fine. Turns out I have an intense allergic reaction to rogaine, so I just deal with it by using rosemary oil with other oils. It's too soon to know if it'll actually do anything but even if not I feel better doing something.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I think I am full on menopausal at this point and so far, my hair has not thinned out. It came out in tiny chunks at around the 6 month mark (without menses) but now? Nope. It's fine.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

OH YES!!!! I take biotin and have used all different kinds of products. Nothing helps!! So thin around my face right now. sigh!

Cabooki is all that keeps me from being embarrassed.
    Last edited by bparnell75; July 30th, 2021 at 11:09 AM.
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.

Length
    APL/WL/HL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Yes it has definitely thinned out more as I've aged. Naturally and partly because of shedding. The shedding problem was fixed and starting to see a little more volume, but my hair is still thinner than what it was when I was a kid. Nothing I can do about it though. I remember when my hair was so thick that I wished it was more thin. Now it's fairly thin and I wish I had my thick poofy hair back

Length
    HL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

It has thinned out around the age of 14/15, but since then my hair is the same. My mom has my same hair and it went thinner with age.
    Unless if you have some health issue, I don't think that's much you can do because it's genetic.