Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting from Hip Length to Armpit Length?

Length
    16/bsl/bsl
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Question Cutting from Hip Length to Armpit Length?

So over two years ago I started lurking on this forum when I bleached my hair too many times (about 10 times over 6 months) and completely fried it. After I dyed it black (my natural colour is dark brown/black) and trimmed it once, I grew it from my collarbone to now the longest part being at hip length although with a lot of layers from waist to bsl. My roots have grown down to bsl from the nape, and almost apl from the very top of my head.
    Anyways I decided to finally make an account because I need opinions on whether or not to cut it to just above apl to get rid of the damage.

Although I'm at my goal length and could just maintain the length and continue to S&D the layers, I think it might be better to cut it because the bleached ends get very tangled and take me 3 hours to finger detangle twice a week when I wash my hair and about 20 minutes every day that I don't wash it. The bleached ends also look really dry and gross and no amount of conditioner, treatments or oil will make any difference. Another main reason why I want to cut it is because the damaged parts of my hair take at least 6 hours to air dry, and feel really fragile and too soft while they're wet because of the bleach.

~~~ So anyways, If you were in my position would you maintain the length until all of the damage is cut off or would you just cut it up to apl to have all virgin hair?

Length
    Shldr/CBL/Happy
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Default Re: Cutting from Hip Length to Armpit Length?

Personally I would not cut everything in one go, its quite a big jump going from hip to APL. Instead Id cut off little by little. Sometimes even a microtrim can do miracles to ends that tangle

Length
    Bob/BSL/Hip+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I personally would want to cut off the damage and start fresh if it were my hair. I just cut to pixie from almost waist a couple of weeks ago to get rid of old bleach damage so I'm a little biased lol. It was definitely the best decision for me, I didn't want to be unhappy with the color and condition of it for as long as it was going to take to grow out with microtrimming. If you think you can deal with the upkeep and detangling then just keep trimming until the damage is gone but if it's more important to have it damage free then cut. Maybe you could do a shorter chop and cut to waist so it isn't as big of a shock and won't take as long to grow then if you want more off you can just cut again.

Pixie - Ear - Jaw - Chin - SL - CBL- APL- BSL - WL - HL - TBL

Length
    CL/MBL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

How about BSL with layers up to APL? Basically cut off all the damage, but still keep the longest length possible? If you want solid hemline, you can gradually get rid of layers with regular trims from there on.

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

When I was in that situation, I chopped off the damage. I went from knee length dyed hair to a shoulder length bob. I loved getting rid of the damage, loved the way my hair felt and had fun with short hair for awhile. I eventually grew it out, and am now at ankle length.
    What you find irresistable is what you choose not to resist.

Length
    15/30/40
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I think just cutting up to waist would make your hair thank you for it - I pretty much had the same dilema BEFORE i knew of LHC, I think my hair was hip or very close to it but very layered and damaged from the same thing - I chopped it all to just above shoulders because thats pretty much where my healthy hair stood at - The chop was a very difficult one to live with, I was very happy to have healthy hair BUT hair that short didnt suit me at all and i was forced to keep my hair up at all times until it grew close to BSL. IF i could give the time back i THINK that I would of cut bit by bit and not all in one go BUT I cant look back now, im MBL and verry close to waist with virgin hair which i love so much!! My hair now is perfect (well, i wish it was curly but anyway ) so maybe a dramatic cut was better than doing it slowly, i dont know... it was 1 year and 8 months ago since THAT drama and im now happy to forget and move on. So the decission is yours! Whatever you decide just know that your hair will grow back and it will be better than you can ever imagine!

sl ~ apl ~ bsl ~ mbl ~ wl~
    hip~ tbl ~ classic!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

First choice would be microtrimming. You can always go shorter, but you can't glue it back on, and a microtrim often makes a big difference in and of itself. Second choice would be layering it up until APL. You can get rid of a lot of damage that way. Third choice would be cutting to APL.

If you're looking for layering methods, try looking into the "compact cuts" ie. ponytailing methods. One is putting a ponytail on top of your head and cutting for long layers, the other is putting the ponytail on top of your forehead and cutting for short layers.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    12/CL/52
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

I would cut it, but probably only to BSL and work on keeping it healthy and trimming at BSL until the damage is gone.

Hair in Sunlight

Kindness consists of loving people more than they deserve.

Length
    17"/26"/36"
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kherome View Post
    I would cut it, but probably only to BSL and work on keeping it healthy and trimming at BSL until the damage is gone.
    I would do this too. I cut to shoulder, which the bottom half was virgin and the front damaged. I have grown all the way to APL and it is just now starting to feel like it needs a trim again. It really made a huge difference for me. I would also keep in mind what is the shortest length you could go with still being able to put your hair up easily, for me that is about 1" past APL.

Slowly away Henna & bleach damage
    APL 12/2013, BSL 6/201

Length
    APL/Hip +/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by t_ballet26 View Post
    I would do this too. I cut to shoulder, which the bottom half was virgin and the front damaged. I have grown all the way to APL and it is just now starting to feel like it needs a trim again. It really made a huge difference for me. I would also keep in mind what is the shortest length you could go with still being able to put your hair up easily, for me that is about 1" past APL.
    Your hair is just wonderful so healthy looking , i have a bit of past damage that's why i'm not trimming till next year then i'll do a 2-3 trim to get rid of it and hopefully have nice blunt ends, after that i'll micro trim most probably and still be near classic.
    APL 2010 BSL JUL 2010 WSL 2011 HIP 2013 Going for Tailbone December 2017